Broccoli rice

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to eat curries 3 - 4 times a week before being diagnosed type 2. I still love them and they can be made very low carb but the thing that has stopped me from eating it very often now is having cauliflower rice with it. When I was in Asda the other day I found broccoli rice in the fruit & veg aisle so thought I'd give it a try. I know taste is a personal thing but I found it far nicer than the cauliflower rice and means curry will now be back on the menu more often.

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Last edited:
Reactions: Michelle_BBB

Michelle_BBB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Ohhh I love cauliflower rice, I now have it raw at lunchtime with a little cheese and chopped carrots (added a small amount of mayo ) xx

Reactions: Ixarix

JenniferG

I'll have to try the broccoli rice, can make it at home. Sounds delish!

However, ironically, ever since I've been cooking cauliflower rice, Chicken Curry is now a fav here again :). We love it with cauliflower rice. I lightly season cauliflower rice with tumeric and cumin; freshly food processed and fried on high temp with tbsp olive oil. For us it is a great substitute for basmati rice. We kind of mix the chicken and suace in with it as we eat each bite.

17473d1507668567-indian-chicken-curry-over-riced-cauliflower-dsc_2361-jpg

Reactions: TIANDB

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Might try broccoli rice! I love broccoli and have a large portion of steamed broccoli pretty much every night!

For those not keen on the smell or taste of commercially prepared cauliflower rice, or the faff (and taste and smell) of it if you make it at home from fresh cauliflower, I can recommend using frozen cauliflower.

I cook 500g (which makes 2 portions) in the microwave for 10 minutes, then whizz it with salt and pepper, and sometimes a handful of coriander leaves.

For mash (to top fish pie, cottage pie, or for with sausages or stew) I microwave 500g frozen cauliflower for 20 minutes and use an immersion blender to blend it into mash, adding salt, pepper and sometimes butter. For topping a pie I will blend in a handful of strong cheddar. It's amazeballs and doesn't taste of cauliflower (although if it did I wouldn't mind!).

:)

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make broccoli & cauliflower rice. Add some salt, pepper, lime juice and chilli flakes and it's lovely with anything. I don't microwave mine, just grate and fry. I also love the cabbage version.

JenniferG

Thanks for bringing up ricing broccoli. I used it in place of the cauliflower in my Indian Chicken Curry and it tasted wonderful :). Seasoned the broccoli rice with a bit of tumeric and cumin.

2621j4n.jpg