Feeling hungry!!

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

My last HbA1c was 58, it is usually around 51 so I have cut down on fruit. (as advised by my GP)

I keep feeling very hungry, especially in the evening and mornings!

Does anyone else feel hungry?

What can I eat to feel full?

Thanks

Reactions: kokhongw

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you usually eat?

Sometimes we feel hungry because our previous meal was higher in carbs, which surprisingly leads to lower blood sugar reading a few hours later.

May be helpful for you to have a food diary and track your glucose level when you feel hungry.

Generally I would snack on some nuts, cheese or 72% dark chocolates if I should feel hungry between meals.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep feeling very hungry, especially in the evening and mornings! Does anyone else feel hungry?

I was very hungry for the first few weeks after going on a low-carb diet. This involved eating almost no fruit (and you said you have cut down on fruit). It also involved stringent portion control.

There wasn't much I could do about the hunger except snack on nuts: pecans, macadamias and Brazil nuts (the latter only in small quantities to avoid selenium poisoning!!). The nuts are quite effective as an appetite-cutter, and low-carb.

Three or four weeks into the diet, the hunger abated. This apparently is a common pattern when going on a low-carb diet. I abandoned the portion control two months into the diet, and have not put on weight since, and have not felt hungry.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Aye, hunger was a big problem for me at the begining but as has been said, I went with nuts at first then changed to stuff like celery with cream cheese or a spoonful of peanut butter. The only fruit I have now are a few (3-4) berries or a small fresh apricot.

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So having too many carbs could make me hungry, never thought of that. I have also cut down on yogurts.

Need to find other things to eat or things to snack on.
I am finding it so difficult but I know I need to do this for my health.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... I know I need to do this for my health.

Right on! If you want to put things into perspective, Google "hunger" or check out the Wikipedia entry on that word. Only a small number of us in the "First World" have ever actually felt "real hunger" -- although, shameful to say, it does still exist among some of our deprived populations.

Real hunger, apparently, first manifests when you get sharp and painful cramps in the stomach. It all goes downhill from there, unless you eat something....

I don't know if this helps. Perhaps it does the opposite, but it did help me when I was feeling very hungry a few months ago upon starting this diet!

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So having too many carbs could make me hungry, never thought of that. I have also cut down on yogurts.

Carbs create the hunger devil!! Eat hard boiled eggs, cheese, nuts/ nut butters , olives, avocado. So much more satisfying

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yes, because carbs are addictive!
Full fat Greek yoghurt (not the Greek style ones) are good and will be filling if they are not low fat. Extra good sprinkled with some chopped nuts, flaked almonds or a few berries.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

There is a shopping list thread for low carb foods. Jump in and eat! I just want to tag @Robbieswan and @Bagster incase they haven't seen it. I will try and add it below on a edit. Give me a few minutes.

Here it is.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-shopping-list.86507/

Last edited: