Libre on NHS

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not wishing to put a downer on this discussion, my local M.P. wrote to the Secretary of State for Health who replied directly to myself about funding on the NHS for Freestyle Libra. Basically whilst the system has in principle been approved to be issued on the NHS, he reiterates that it is down to local CCG's to decide if funding should be made available. Also it will not be approved for all diabetics, just those who have problems with control and/or can prove that by using the system it is of substantial benefit. I think it will be a cold day in hell when this wonderful system is made free to all us diabetics who as has been proved, can benefit from it.
IMO Abbott Laboratories need to substantially reduce the per item cost, before the NHS will even consider it. I know that the cost to the NHS is already £20 cheaper than to the public but I think they need to get it even lower.Which begs the question why can't they sell them to the public for the same price ?
By the way, does anybody know why they only last for 2 weeks ? Is it a battery problem ?

Reactions: Ledzeptt

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When a CGM is
  • Cheaper per month then using many test strips (Libre is close for lots of peopel on this.)
  • Don't need many test strips to calibrate it
  • Is aproved by DVLA
Then I expect we will see the NHS allowing it for everyone. The main problem with the libre is that it does not remove the cost of test strips.

The other way univerasal funding for CGM would be aproved is if there were proved to reduce costly complications due to better BG control. But that requires choosing who would benifit most, as someone who does not care about their BG will not get much benifit.

Last edited:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding of the Libre model released in the US is that it does not require "calibration". I'm sure it doesn't eliminate the use of test strips of course. IMO if your NHS "approves" its use I doubt close to half if T1D's would even mess with it. I can afford it and haven't seen a need for it myself. As for the price I'm sure Abbott could sell to the public for the same price as your NHS has negotiated, but that's not what the evil drug companies do. The charge as much as the market will bear, especially for something with little competition and which is probably regarded as a "luxury" ancillary item for diabetics. My stock in Abbott has done very well by the way, NovoNordisc too!

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Watch this space.
Tomorrow I am being interviewed by my local regional newspaper regarding the CCG refusing to fund the Freestyle Libra system for anyone, never mind those diabetics who have benefited from it. Be interested to see what my local CCG will; be.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Watch this space.
Tomorrow I am being interviewed by my local regional newspaper regarding the CCG refusing to fund the Freestyle Libra system for anyone, never mind those diabetics who have benefited from it. Be interested to see what my local CCG will; be.

How do you know already that your CCG not willing to fund? Ours hasnt even written a policy statement about
Its funding yet!!

Please let us now how younget on and if the paper will be gaining ancomment from the CCG..

Donteatthat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Last month my awesome doctor attached this sensor (freestyle libre pro) and even lent me his reader. So for 14 days I got continuous and almost accurate reading from this reader without single pin prick. For 23£ a sensor it was holy grail for me.

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last month my awesome doctor attached this sensor (freestyle libre pro) and even lent me his reader. So for 14 days I got continuous and almost accurate reading from this reader without single pin prick. For 23£ a sensor it was holy grail for me.
Someone at our support group is trying one for two weeks. Will find out what happens after that.

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i thought it was around £48 not £23??

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe we should all stop buying them from 01november as a protest if they're not going to prescribe them then Abbott might be able to assert some pressure?
Has anyone found out anything concrete from their local CCG?

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
When you offset the monthly cost of BG sticks against the cost of two Libre sensors it doesn't look too bad at all imo. I get thru about 4 tubs of Accuchek Aviva strips every month. If I carry on self funding the Libre I'll be saving the NHS the cost of the BG sticks. And when you factor in all the added benefits of the Libre, the CCG's are making a very short sighted decision. I emailed my CCG recently but so far no reply. Does anyone know of any CCG that has given the go ahead? I heard of one in Scotland but that's it! Plus someone told me even with the go ahead the Libre won't be available in the NHS until next April at the earliest because of the way budgets are allocated. Patience is character building so they say

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you offset the monthly cost of BG sticks against the cost of two Libre sensors it doesn't look too bad at all imo. I get thru about 4 tubs of Accuchek Aviva strips every month. If I carry on self funding the Libre I'll be saving the NHS the cost of the BG sticks. And when you factor in all the added benefits of the Libre, the CCG's are making a very short sighted decision. I emailed my CCG recently but so far no reply. Does anyone know of any CCG that has given the go ahead? I heard of one in Scotland but that's it! Plus someone told me even with the go ahead the Libre won't be available in the NHS until next April at the earliest because of the way budgets are allocated. Patience is character building so they say
Short sighted as always

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am getting a trial but they are only supplying one sensor.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same as someone at the hospital support group. I'm going to find out what happened after that next time I go.

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
A trial for two weeks? What on earth use is that? If you're going to spot any trends I hope they appear pretty quickly!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When you offset the monthly cost of BG sticks against the cost of two Libre sensors it doesn't look too bad at all imo. I get thru about 4 tubs of Accuchek Aviva strips every month.

The issue is that DVLA will not allow libre to be used instead of sticks, and likewise, the maker of libre says a stick must be used to check BG before deciding how much insulin to use. Hence this "offset" can't be done.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw my DSN last Thursday and brought the Libre up, apparently loads of people have been asking about it. Sadly it's not going to be funded in our area just yet :( they're petitioning though so fingers crossed!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is a hard one, as there is no health benefit from the NHS paying for a Libre if someone would pay for their own otherwise.....

Therefore looking at health benefits per pound spend the NHS should only fund Libre for people who do not already have them.

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
The issue is that DVLA will not allow libre to be used instead of sticks, and likewise, the maker of libre says a stick must be used to check BG before deciding how much insulin to use. Hence this "offset" can't be done.
I know the DVLA is still insisting on a BG test before driving. I don't really understand why as a BG test, as we are well aware, is only a snapshot and doesn't show any trend data.
But I don't think that Abbott recommend a BG test before every insulin dose:

'FreeStyle Libre is approved for dosing insulin except in three cases: when hypoglycemic, when glucose is changing rapidly, or when symptoms don’t match the system’s readings. In these cases, Abbott recommends confirming the value with a fingerstick'.

Following that guideline would dramatically reduce my usage of sticks. I'd say that 95% of the time I'm happy to dose from the Libre.

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'FreeStyle Libre is approved for dosing insulin except in three cases: when hypoglycemic, when glucose is changing rapidly, or when symptoms don’t match the system’s readings. In these cases, Abbott recommends confirming the value with a fingerstick'.

Following that guideline would dramatically reduce my usage of sticks. I'd say that 95% of the time I'm happy to dose from the Libre.

Same here, I used the Libre for 6 weeks and was very happy to dosage using the results from it, blood tests went way down which made me very happy