Alpha Lipoic Acid

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
600mg per day is OK. Take after eating as it can lower blood sugars.

1505helen

My daughter is T1 she’s been suffering from neuropathy symptoms for about a month. She’s taking Amitriptyline, is it safe to take alpha lipoic acid as well to reduce the burning sensation in her feet? It’s making sleep impossible for her at the moment.

Any advice gratefully received

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
actually, it is the R-alpha-lipoic acid that helps, if the medication is only called alpha lipoic acid only half of it is the R-alpha-lipoic acid
600 mg of R-alpha-lipoic acid is the effective dose ... it helps some people but not all

Reactions: 1505helen

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, for the best results you need the R-Alpha Lipoic Acid. This R-ALA is pure natural ALA with no added chemicals. The ordinary ALA is made up of about half ALA and half other things. It is only the ALA that is beneficial. The rest are just stabilisers.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the other part of the alpha lipoic acid is the L-alpha-lipoic acid , the R and the L means Right-winded and Left-winded
it has to do how the molechyles are winded as I have understood the explanation, only the Right-winded ones work in the human body

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
actually, it is the R-alpha-lipoic acid that helps, if the medication is only called alpha lipoic acid only half of it is the R-alpha-lipoic acid
600 mg of R-alpha-lipoic acid is the effective dose ... it helps some people but not all

So where can you get 600mg R-ALA?

I found this:
https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swa...acid?af=wg&utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=cpa
which is R but only 100mg, or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swanson-Ultra-Potency-Lipoic-Capsules/dp/B002718LNI
which doesn't say it's R so assume it isn't, but is 600mg.

I'm confused:-(

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I Use Swanson double strength R ALA and it’s very effective for me. Just not for neuropathy but for many other things.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take this - just one tablet of the ordinary sort, and there is a warning on the bottle that it can enhance insulin activity - it also interferes with the Thyroxine I take to counter the effects of my defunct thyroid so I take the ALA in the mornings and the Thyroxine in early evening. I did wonder if it would be a problem taking it late in the day but so far all seems well and I have begun to lose weight taking them in this way.
I began taking the ALA as I had such bad pains when taking the Metformin and Atorvastatin, and it seemed to loosen up my leg muscles so I could walk better. It also meant that I slept better, and as walking and sleeping both seem important I have continued to take them.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, for the best results you need the R-Alpha Lipoic Acid. This R-ALA is pure natural ALA with no added chemicals. The ordinary ALA is made up of about half ALA and half other things. It is only the ALA that is beneficial. The rest are just stabilisers.
Nope. Who told you that?
ALA is the chemical. It is formed by a percentage being r-ala and the other part being s-ala. ALA is the whole component BUT if it is divided (which is expensive to do) the R ala is what changes our bodies reaction. S-ala does nothing not even stabilizes anything.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take this - just one tablet of the ordinary sort, and there is a warning on the bottle that it can enhance insulin activity - it also interferes with the Thyroxine I take to counter the effects of my defunct thyroid so I take the ALA in the mornings and the Thyroxine in early evening. I did wonder if it would be a problem taking it late in the day but so far all seems well and I have begun to lose weight taking them in this way.
I began taking the ALA as I had such bad pains when taking the Metformin and Atorvastatin, and it seemed to loosen up my leg muscles so I could walk better. It also meant that I slept better, and as walking and sleeping both seem important I have continued to take them.
It has definitely lowered my bg, especially fasting and DP but I have to take it when I take insulin ornit does the opposite.
I too was afraid to take it at night but when I take it with lantus it has lowered my lantus dose. I sleep much deeper and wake up well rested.
I also feel it makes me stronger and better mental clarity as well as less moody, more energy, clearer skin and eyes.
I originally took it for neuropathy and within a month it cleared that up so backed down my dose.
With the weather changing I just felt blah so I’m back on 3-4 100 R ALA and saw immdiate benefits. To the point I don’t need coffee but still having a decaf but can’t even finish it.
It’s nothing short of a miracle for me when things are out of wack

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding is that the main research paper was conducted using 600mg of ala not r-ala and it was injected not oral. I dropped my intake from 600mg r-ala to 300mg r-ala which is the equivalent of the research dose and for me it seems just as effective at reducing the neuropathy. Apart from not taking an unnecessary amount it's also a lot cheaper! i buy mine from USA but do get charged import duty sometimes.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding is that the main research paper was conducted using 600mg of ala not r-ala and it was injected not oral. I dropped my intake from 600mg r-ala to 300mg r-ala which is the equivalent of the research dose and for me it seems just as effective at reducing the neuropathy. Apart from not taking an unnecessary amount it's also a lot cheaper! i buy mine from USA but do get charged import duty sometimes.
Do you get yours from swanson vitamins? Have you noticed you need a bit less insulin? I have to take it when I’m taking insulin with my meals and I know I’m more insulin sensative then

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy from piping rock. I take at breakfast with both basal and bolus insulins. Didn't seem to have affected my insulin needs but I find these fluctuate slightly anyhow. Had made a big difference to the neuropathy though.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy from piping rock. I take at breakfast with both basal and bolus insulins. Didn't seem to have affected my insulin needs but I find these fluctuate slightly anyhow. Had made a big difference to the neuropathy though.
Agreed. And fast!
I have a very narrow bg range so I can clearly see. I was having some hypos with the same food and DP is much better. Lowered lantus at night from 3 units to 2 and still lower fastings.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope. Who told you that?
ALA is the chemical. It is formed by a percentage being r-ala and the other part being s-ala. ALA is the whole component BUT if it is divided (which is expensive to do) the R ala is what changes our bodies reaction. S-ala does nothing not even stabilizes anything.

Alpha-lipoic acid consists of two different forms (isomers) that have vastly different properties. The "R" form is the biologically active component (native to the body) that is responsible for lipoic acid's phenomenal antioxidant effect. The "S" form is produced from chemical manufacture and is not very biologically active. Typical alpha-lipoic acid supplements consist of the "R" and "S" form in a 50/50 ratio. That means a 100 mg alpha-lipoic acid supplement is providing 50 mg of the biologically active "R" form. The human body normally produces and uses the "R" form of lipoic acid. This active form, R-lipoic acid, significantly supports healthy inflammatory response, is a potent free-radical scavenger and has been shown to be more potent than the combined "R" and "S" forms that comprise most alpha-lipoic acid supplements.

In other words, the R-ALA is a natural form as found in our bodies, and by buying the R-ALA you get almost 100% of the benefit (minus whatever they use for the coating). In the ordinary ALA you only get 50% of the natural form (R-ALA) and 50% of the chemically manufactured form, S-ALA, which is not particularly active. So with the ordinary capsules you need twice as many for the same benefit and also fill your body with chemicals.