HbA1c

lanzlady

Hi,
can anyone tell me if they can work out from my last 30 days BG levels which are averaging 6.9 what my HbA1c might be in the next couple of weeks? Very new to me in the last 4 month so I have a lot to learn .

Many thanks

Type 2
D/E
22/01/2010

lanzlady

Hi thanks for that as your probably know the HbA1c works out at 6 which I understand will be a little higher when testing in the lab.

thanks again
Lanzlady :D

jopar

Your meter can only give an adverage bg of a snap shot of a moment of time... How near it might be to a HbA1c will be totally dependant on how many tests it's working on, when you tested and whether there has been any increase/decrease in sugar levels between one test to the other.. The less test, the less accurate it becomes..

It is worth though, written down the adverages on the day you have your bloods taken, then compare this to your HbA1c results, you will need to do this for several HbA1c tests to get a reasonable idea, but if the HbA1c is vastly different to your meter readings then it could indicate large or prolonged spikes between tests, worth investicating with more BG tests, if they are reasonable near, then you know that can use the meter adverage information as a indictaor of how well you doing..

Once you sussed out your meter you can in time, estimate a probable HbA1c for a forth coming test, but the real use of these adverages on the meter, is a quick referance guide, if the adverage goes up, you need to look at your individual BG data, to see if you can find the reason for it.. If the meter Adv is in target range, you know you plodding along nicely, if you are working towards tigher control, and the Adv is going down, you know you'll getting there..

Rivig

jopar said:
Your meter can only give an adverage bg of a snap shot of a moment of time... How near it might be to a HbA1c will be totally dependant on how many tests it's working on, when you tested and whether there has been any increase/decrease in sugar levels between one test to the other.. The less test, the less accurate it becomes..

It is worth though, written down the adverages on the day you have your bloods taken, then compare this to your HbA1c results, you will need to do this for several HbA1c tests to get a reasonable idea, but if the HbA1c is vastly different to your meter readings then it could indicate large or prolonged spikes between tests, worth investicating with more BG tests, if they are reasonable near, then you know that can use the meter adverage information as a indictaor of how well you doing..

Once you sussed out your meter you can in time, estimate a probable HbA1c for a forth coming test, but the real use of these adverages on the meter, is a quick referance guide, if the adverage goes up, you need to look at your individual BG data, to see if you can find the reason for it.. If the meter Adv is in target range, you know you plodding along nicely, if you are working towards tigher control, and the Adv is going down, you know you'll getting there..

What he said :D

I know when I tested a lot for my last HbA1c my avg was 8 & the HbA1c came back at 7

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Can usually understand Jopar's intent but lost me this time..............
I collected lots of figures and put it into this website's Lifestyle section and printed off a pretty graph and it suggested my HbA1c would be 5.3. It was. Don't use my meter's average as sometimes I take a reading that is contaminated by food.
Alison

glynis

I was completely lost but reading the last few comments on HbA1c has help me to see i have a long way to go, but thanks to Jopar comments, I know I am getting there thanks.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Yes. I thought Jopar explained it all very well. It was certainly very clear in my view...... :)

Ken

lanzlady

clearviews said:
I collected lots of figures and put it into this website's Lifestyle section and printed off a pretty graph and it suggested my HbA1c would be 5.3. It was. Don't use my meter's average as sometimes I take a reading that is contaminated by food.
Alison

Hi Alison I did use the lifestlye section and not my meter hopefully it will be 6 I wil be so pleased as it was up at 9.6 Dec.2009 before I was diagnosed end Jan 2010.

Lanzlady

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
clearviews said:

Seems pretty straightforward to me Alison, if you just do a fasting test once a week then your meter will never give you an as accurate average bg level as if you are testing 7 times a day, the more tests you do the truer the average picture becomes and the more likely an estimated Ac1 is to be accurate.

lanzlady

Rivig said:
Just wondered, did you ever get a reading from the docs on this ?

Hi Rivig,

first time back on here just back from Holiday I did get my results just a couple of weeks ago and it was 6.5 not 6 as the lifestyle suggested do you use the lifstyle?

Lanzlady

Rivig

Well 6.5 aint that bad :) my last check a couple of weeks ago was 6.9 No i don't use the lifestyle i use the Accu chek Nano, mainly because i can see it better in the dark & it looks cool lol :D

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
So glad I found this thread - I had been testing - what I thought was enough ;) but when I got my tests back from the doc it was a lot lower than the results I had been getting (good news!) but still too high IMO at 7.4 - however the doc has put a note that he is happy with that!

lanzlady

Rivig said:
Yeah they say 7's great :) but 5.9's better lol :D

Hi Rivig,

I use the acc chek nano I meant the lifestyle tool on this site lol I thought my 6.5 was vg I have a long way to go yet then to get 5.9

Lanzlady