HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi
I really do not know if there was a way to remove carbohydrates from bread, for example, or it must be avoided permanently

Is there a proper way to remove carbohydrates from meals ?
I hope that my question is reasonable

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Maybe this will help...I do not know how much carb is reduced in this link, but it says that Red potatoes are not as starchy so there for fewer carbs.My friend who is diabetic can only eat red potatoes and no other with no sugar spikes. I have not tried this. I do not know about bread as you make it with flour so no,can not reduce carbs in bread unless you get a high protein bread,they tend to be lower in carbs. Here is the link

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/remove-starch-potatoes-11537.html Another link https://www.livestrong.com/article/344835-how-to-remove-starch-from-potatoes/

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

joss.t2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @bulkbiker is the diet doctor bread any good? I think it is made from almond flour and Psyllium flour? Dietdoctor.com i haven't tried it yet!

Sent from my KFFOWI using DCUK Forum mobile app

Last edited:

Carb_Junky

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi
I really do not know if there was a way to remove carbohydrates from bread, for example, or it must be avoided permanently

Is there a proper way to remove carbohydrates from meals ?
I hope that my question is reasonable
On a positive note, most low carbers substitute something that's low carb for the thing that's high carb. At first it takes some time to read food carb listings or research online to find the low carb food you'd like to eat instead but then you can relax when shopping as you'll have checked out your usual foods so will only have to check packages for new foods. For me. I have a sandwich each weekend day with bread which is filling but also lower carb at 33.5g for two thick slices. It's wholemeal and high fibre so good for me too. This way, I don't feel deprived and look forward to my treat at the weekend.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I think the most appropriate solution is to let it go

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bulkbiker is the diet doctor bread any good? I think it is made from almond flour and Psyllium flour? Dietdoctor.com i haven't tried it yet!

I'm not bulkbiker, but I have done a lot of experimentation with the "diet doctor" breads and other breads on low-carb websites. I eventually gave up on making full-size bread "loaves" with almond flour and psyllium husks. It was just too "sandy" and heavy tasting, for want of a better description. My daughter, who is an expert baker, valiantly worked on this for a couple of days but we finally gave up.

I had better luck with low-carb rolls baked using the same ingredients. Recipe here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread. This recipe is very sensitive to the brands of almond flour and psyllium husk you use. You will have to experiment over and over before getting an edible result.

To me, the winner is "Keto seed crackers" (on which you can spread butter, cheese, or whatever). My wife and I bake these almost daily and she loves them, even though she does not have diabetes and has no special dietary incentive to eat them. Recipe here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-seed-crackers. We found we had to experiment with the quantity of coconut oil (a bit less than it says in the recipe). These are delicious and you can even munch them plain, without a topping.

But on the whole, unfortunately, I have to say that apart from the seed crackers I have given up bread (which was one of my favorite foods).

Edited to add: The "diet doctor" does make a blanket warning about store-bought, pre-made low carb bread. He says a lot of it is a scam (the carb content is much higher than it says on the label).

Last edited:
Reactions: joss.t2

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bulkbiker is the diet doctor bread any good? I think it is made from almond flour and Psyllium flour? Dietdoctor.com i haven't tried it yet!

Sent from my KFFOWI using DCUK Forum mobile app

Hi @joss.t2,

I make this bread at least once a week and yes, the recipe is great. Instead of rolls, you can also use a rolling pin to make flatbread (to use a pizza base, for example).

Edit to add: I see @Grateful beat me to it. I was referring to the same keto-bread recipe.

jonnymuesli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to jump on here , but ive been minimising my bread since being diagnosed with Type 2 in May , but i pick some loafs up generally the small type loafs and some of the white ones are less carbs than the wholemeal ones , does that mean they are better for me with diabetes because lower carbs or is white bread just wrong for me ?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I've let go of rice and pasta but my two sandwiches are easily portion controlled. I very rarely eat potato.
I left four things definitively bread, chickpeas, potatoes and white sugar
I live without them no problem

Yes, the bread is sweet and beautiful, but its health is better than it is
Accept my greetings

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to jump on here , but ive been minimising my bread since being diagnosed with Type 2 in May , but i pick some loafs up generally the small type loafs and some of the white ones are less carbs than the wholemeal ones , does that mean they are better for me with diabetes because lower carbs or is white bread just wrong for me ?

I researched this when I was diagnosed with T2. There doesn't seem to be any grain-based bread that even remotely qualifies as "low carb." The "whole-wheat" or "brown" breads seem to be no better than white bread in terms of carbs, although they may have other health benefits.

I reluctantly stopped eating normal bread and any other grain-based foods with the exception of a very small amount of home-made, sugar-free muesli (granola) -- two tablespoons -- with breakfast each morning. Even that is really high-carb (10 grams of that muesli is 8 grams of carbs!). I read an article in the New York Times a few months ago that said granola should really be marketed as a "dessert food" because it is so sugar/carb laden.

Then there is beer (which was once my favorite drink). It is truly "liquid bread." Avoid, except for an extra-special treat once a month or something.

Reactions: jonnymuesli

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not bulkbiker, but I have done a lot of experimentation with the "diet doctor" breads and other breads on low-carb websites. I eventually gave up on making actual bread with almond flour and psyllium husks. It was just too "sandy" and heavy tasting, for want of a better description. My daughter, who is an expert baker, valiantly worked on this for a couple of days but we finally gave up.

I had better luck with low-carb rolls baked using the same ingredients. Recipe here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread. This recipe is very sensitive to the brands of almond flour and psyllium husk you use. You will have to experiment over and over before getting an edible result.

To me, the winner is "Keto seed crackers" (on which you can spread butter, cheese, or whatever). My wife and I bake these almost daily and she loves them, even though she does not have diabetes and has no special dietary incentive to eat them. Recipe here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-seed-crackers. We found we had to experiment with the quantity of coconut oil (a bit less than it says in the recipe). These are delicious and you can even munch them plain, without a topping.

But on the whole, unfortunately, I have to say that apart from the seed crackers I have given up bread (which was one of my favorite foods).

Edited to add: The "diet doctor" does make a blanket warning about store-bought, pre-made low carb bread. He says a lot of it is a scam (the carb content is much higher than it says on the label).
Like Grateful,I gave up on making low carb bread with almond flour.I can also recommend the keto seed crackers.My non diabetic husband loves them too.Ive experimented using different seeds,sometimes using Tescos chopped nuts instead of some of the seeds.These are my favourite and as a treat a touch of 80% dark chocolate and no salt gives you a nutty chocolate biscuit without the spikes!They keep for two weeks in an airtight tin and stay crisp.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
What about full bread ?
I heard it was much less harmful

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@hichamgsm: I hate to be a bit blunt, but you need to do this in a very "planned" way.

Cutting out some foods in a haphazard manner won't get you very far. When you research carbohydrates you will find that they are in many, many foods and often unexpectedly. Unfortunately you have to check just about everything you eat, and drink.

We measure carbohydrates in grams. People without diabetes, in modern society, often eat several hundred grams of carbohydrates per day. Aim to cut down to a maximum of 150 grams per day. We don't know what your blood tests show, so it is hard to give advice. If you want to get a big impact from a low-carb diet you need to go much lower, maybe 30g to 50g per day, or even lower.

There is a lot of advice on this forum, but it can be a bit overwhelming. I don't know how the food is packaged in Morocco, but here, the amount of carbohydrates per serving (in grams) is listed on the packaging for most foods. Obviously that does not include fresh food bought at the market, but you can find out about those online.

There is a low-carb "sub-forum" on this forum.

I can give you a list of the key foods to avoid altogether, or eat only very sparingly, but it is extremely incomplete:

Avoid altogether:
  • Bread and grains in general
  • Potatos
  • Vegetables that are grown below ground
  • Rice
  • Pasta
  • Beer
Eat/drink only very sparingly:
  • Fruit (berries are the best)
  • Dry red or white wine
If you are overweight: consider portion control (calorie reduction) in addition to low-carb, until you have your weight under control.

I hope that other forum members will step in here and provide forum links that will be much better than my list. When I was diagnosed, I did not know about this forum and I had to figure out a lot of this stuff on my own. You have been much cleverer than me in finding this forum quickly!!!

Finally: there is no guarantee that the low-carb method will work for you. Many of us have used it successfully. You doctor may not like it, or may tell you that it is impossible to stay on this diet for the rest of your life. Your decision!

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
@hichamgsm: I hate to be a bit blunt, but you need to do this in a very "planned" way.

Cutting out some foods in a haphazard manner won't get you very far. When you research carbohydrates you will find that they are in many, many foods and often unexpectedly. Unfortunately you have to check just about everything you eat, and drink.

We measure carbohydrates in grams. People without diabetes, in modern society, often eat several hundred grams of carbohydrates per day. Aim to cut down to a maximum of 150 grams per day. We don't know what your blood tests show, so it is hard to give advice. If you want to get a big impact from a low-carb diet you need to go much lower, maybe 30g to 50g per day, or even lower.

There is a lot of advice on this forum, but it can be a bit overwhelming. I don't know how the food is packaged in Morocco, but here, the amount of carbohydrates per serving (in grams) is listed on the packaging for most foods. Obviously that does not include fresh food bought at the market, but you can find out about those online.

There is a low-carb "sub-forum" on this forum.

I can give you a list of the key foods to avoid altogether, or eat only very sparingly, but it is extremely incomplete:

Avoid altogether:
  • Bread and grains in general
  • Potatos
  • Vegetables that are grown below ground
  • Rice
  • Pasta
  • Beer
Eat/drink only very sparingly:
  • Fruit (berries are the best)
  • Dry red or white wine
If you are overweight: consider portion control (calorie reduction) in addition to low-carb, until you have your weight under control.

I hope that other forum members will step in here and provide forum links that will be much better than my list. When I was diagnosed, I did not know about this forum and I had to figure out a lot of this stuff on my own. You have been much cleverer than me in finding this forum quickly!!!

Finally: there is no guarantee that the low-carb method will work for you. Many of us have used it successfully. You doctor may not like it, or may tell you that it is impossible to stay on this diet for the rest of your life. Your decision!
Oh thank you very much

In addition to carbohydrate measurement in my meals I'm also I have application in my tablet I can know How many carbohydrates are in meals شكرا جزيلا سيدي

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In addition to carbohydrate measurement in my meals I'm also I have application in my tablet I can know How many carbohydrates are in meals شكرا جزيلا سيدي

Ahlan wa sahlan, saiidi. (You are welcome, sir.)