CCG and the Libre meter?

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, one and all,now that the flash meter from Libre will or should I say,maybe prescibed for T1 with poor control which I have it turns out ,it's down to the local CCG. Trawling through the various NHS info I am unable to find my local one which is Plymouth Devon.Any idea were to look a the NHS sites are usless?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know if giving it to people with poor control will be their founding principle when considering folk.....

that would suggest that the nuisance of finger pricks would be the only reason for their poor control, when in fact its very likely not that..

I still think it is very early days....I haven't seen any specific yet either....

D

Deleted Account

I have not see any guidelines for Libre from any CCG.
And if it is down to "poor control", then I expect every CCG to have a different definition of "poor control".

I am trying to draw no conclusions until after 1st November.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre is approved by the NHS initially for type 1’s however most ccg’s have not uploaded the drug tariff to the systems where gp’s can prescribe. I think the issue is more about the cost and it might be like having to be individually assessed like they do with cgm funding.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a GP or anything like but if I were and a patient came into the surgery I would be looking at the cost of providing a Libre compared to providing them with lots of strips. The notion that they will provide them for deserving cases and people with poor control has not worked too well in the past. Many people on this site bought their own meters and improved their condition and, in my opinion, these should have been deserving cases since they will reduce the long term costs.

It's not going to work like that though, is it?

HanaEv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hatred, bullying, politics, bigotry, war, the cold, spiders, walking into spider webs, mushrooms, spicy food, Donald Trump (Orange Orangutan Twitter ****)
My CCG is Dorset, and they haven't backed funding. I'm Type 1 and I can't get the sensors. I went on a 2 week trial a while back and received a voucher from my hospital for a free meter and sensor. So I already have a meter, but I can't afford to buy sensors, and I think it's unfair that any diabetic should have to pay for treatment, that works, for a condition they didn't ask for. And with the sensors being made available on NHS, but only if your CCG approves it, makes it even less fair that some get them, and others don't

Therefore, I've made the decision to take this to Commons by petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/204230/sponsors/new?token=3b0JgzvzUs3FdEumNCJB

Get all NHS CCGs to fund the Freestyle Libre Sensors for all Diabetics.

This seems an appropriate thread to post on, if this bothers anyone, I'll remove.

Please sign and share to get as much support we can!

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From what I've read the are a couple of CCG s approving prescriptions but most are waiting for more guidance and possibly April and the new financial year. Still waiting for an answer from mine

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Let's be clear here. Petitioning parliament will make no difference to CCG decisions. It would be better to involve your local MP with your local campaign to your local CCG.

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
I've just emailed North Staffordshire CCG for information on the Libre as I'm really interested in getting one of these, lets see how long it takes for a response :)