Cinema treats

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just at cinema with my boys and feeling a bit hard done by. Was going to get some treats and bolus but all the bags of chicks are massive and I don’t know how to estimate portion size on popcorn.
What do others do for treats in this sort of situation when not meant to bring own food?!
Thanks!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just at cinema with my boys and feeling a bit hard done by. Was going to get some treats and bolus but all the bags of chicks are massive and I don’t know how to estimate portion size on popcorn.
What do others do for treats in this sort of situation when not meant to bring own food?!
Thanks!
@Kristin251 may have some ideas?

Reactions: lou258

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I always buy a bag of sweet and salty at the cinema - it's got the carb content on the packet so you know where you stand, otherwise if it's a multi chain cinema I just stick to a coffee or diet soft drink, I know what you mean it's hard to judge carb content on the cinema bought popcorn.

D

Deleted Account

I am not a popcorn fan so would typically go for some sweets and share a bag of something like malteasers.
With a bit of calculation, I can work out approximately how many carbs are in each sweet, decide beforehand how many I am going to have and dose up for that amount.
At the end of the movie, I take a quick BG reading and make a corrective dose if necessary.

Reactions: ickihun and lou258

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would likely use my fitness pal to search for either a small, medium or large popcorn.......likely to find something close to it if not exactly....

Reactions: Ixarix and lou258

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I buy a drink there - usually just a bottle of mineral water - but sneak snack stuff in from home.... nobody's ever questioned me about it. :)

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to opt for a bag of salted popcorn so you know your carb amounts and a diet drink. Alternatively last time I went to the cinema they had some "healthyish" bars which I enjoyed (see photo)
ba2518c2c0ed05a69dd15f9b285dc8c3.jpg

Reactions: Ixarix and lou258

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't know cinemas were that strict about food. I happily took a bag of M&Ms and a bottle of diet coke from a supermarket in to Blade Runner last week and nobody said anything.

Better than spending upwards of a tenner on the same thing in there and it had the carb count on the packet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sasquatch_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My daughter works at our local cinema and you're allowed to take your own sweets and stuff in, as long as it's not hot food or alcohol it's all OK, btw the cinema is Empire :-D

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I been craving a small popcorn lately.

I had some today as it was a packet so had carbs and I could bolus. Nom nom

Thanks all for your replies ! Was feeling a bit sorry for myself, trying to get over it haha!!

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had some today as it was a packet so had carbs and I could bolus. Nom nom

Thanks all for your replies ! Was feeling a bit sorry for myself, trying to get over it haha!!
I might go to the movie theater and get a small bag. Can always portion it out into small portions. Don't even have to see a movie, but it is expensive.

No sweat by the way. We certainly go through many ups and downs.

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
I didn't know cinemas were that strict about food. I happily took a bag of M&Ms and a bottle of diet coke from a supermarket in to Blade Runner last week and nobody said anything.

Better than spending upwards of a tenner on the same thing in there and it had the carb count on the packet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I know Cineworld aren't, as I have personally asked them online and in the cinema and they replied that as long as it isn't hot, food and drink are welcome. They also request that people take their rubbish from the auditorium and dispose of in the bins provided.