Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Both my parents and both my siblings had or have CVD which is a recognised complication of T2. I think in a way that I was lucky to be diagnosed with T2 and found information on how to control it in this forum. I believe that if I went back to former 'healthy carbs' carb filled diet and lost control of my T2 again that I would be putting my life at risk - so, yes, as far as I am concerned carbs are toxic.

S

serenity648

we are all different. at the moment, it seems that there may be no such thing as an essential carb. But we dont actually know if there are other properties in some carbs which are good for us. I do know that I need a certain amount of carbs in my diet to keep my digestive problems at bay.

as far as i am aware, there are no carb free vegetables, so I would like to know which ones are carb free @Guzzler

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The stuff ive read says about 85-90% of T2s are overweight \ obese on diagnosis. People have a wide range of tolerance to carbs and for those with significant carb intolerance, carbs drive insulin resistance which drives hyperinsuleamia which drives weight gain ([particularly abdominally deposited fat) and raises BS. People who are very carb intolerant need to severely limit carbs to ketogenic levels, others can manage higher carb levels, although still usually a lot less than non diabetic Joe public
While Insulin resistence is an issue for many T2’s particularly those with accompanying weight issues but not for all T2 - among those diagnosed T2 will be a significant group of people with things like steroid induced diabetes, incorrectly diagnosed LADA / MODY, PCOS etc etc

Reactions: zand

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
we are all different. at the moment, it seems that there may be no such thing as an essential carb. But we dont actually know if there are other properties in some carbs which are good for us. I do know that I need a certain amount of carbs in my diet to keep my digestive problems at bay.

as far as i am aware, there are no carb free vegetables, so I would like to know which ones are carb free @Guzzler

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant that there are carbs in veggies so few, if any, would be carb free. Which leads me back to a point I made earlier in that it is the sheer amount of carbs in the western diet that I beleive has reached toxic or 'poisonous' levels that is the problem.

Another thought had occurred to me. My paternal grandmother was an alcoholic. My older sister was an alcoholic but I am not. Was my sister's alcoholism genetic? Or did she have a genetic predisposition to becoming addicted to booze or any other substance? No other close family member has this addiction but most of them enjoy a drink. I have been teetotal for over twenty five years but let's say for argument that I carried on drinking would I have the same risk?
We know that alcohol is a toxin, we even used to say 'What's your poison?' years ago when offering drinks...

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And according to your profile you have Type 2 diabetes.. carbs?
Yep. And my blood.sugar levels are anywhere between 4.8 and 6.5. And that includes the 2 hr post meals. Probably a bit different to you though I did try very low carb and hated every single second of the repetitive food, and the fat and the eggs! It was grim and sent my blood sugars all over the place. That is why I stopped.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are no essential carbohydrates.. as for how your carbohydrate intake has contributed to your Type 2 I have no idea.. I do know for me that excessive carbohydrate consumption led to insulin resistance which led to weight gain and Type 2. Once I gave up carbs weight went down and Type 2 went into remission. Voila.
Yep. Agree that there are obviously different situations leading to diabetes. I have a massive family history of diabetes both type1 and type 2 so I guess it's inevitable and certainly not related to my carb intake. I just disagree that carbs are poison and while not strictly essential, good wholegrains are a good source of fibre and vitamins. For me they are essential to a healthy balanced diet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep. And my blood.sugar levels are anywhere between 4.8 and 6.5. And that includes the 2 hr post meals. Probably a bit different to you though I did try very low carb and hated every single second of the repetitive food, and the fat and the eggs! It was grim and sent my blood sugars all over the place. That is why I stopped.
Each to their own.. although I find my way of eating anything but repetitive.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Each to their own.. although I find my way of eating anything but repetitive.
I could have dealt with the repetition if it had worked but it didn't. I couldn't deal with the eggs (feel physically sick at the thought of them now) and the fat. I think I.was on a hiding to nothing from the start....!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could have dealt with the repetition if it had worked but it didn't. I couldn't deal with the eggs (feel physically sick at the thought of them now) and the fat. I think I.was on a hiding to nothing from the start....!
What exactly were you eating?

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What exactly were you eating?
Bacon and eggs. Meat. Cream. Cheese. Greek yogurt. Scrambled.eggs. cloud bread (vile). raspberries. Strawberries. Green veg. Odd slice of livlife bread. Lidl protein rolls (vile). Peanuts. Think that was it combinations of the above ie meat and salad for lunch etc. Doc put me.on gliclazide and now.i can eat the food I like without the sugar spikes I was getting that made me feel so ill. So for me carbs aren't 'poison' but a low carb diet feels poisonous to me. Guess we're all very different!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and eggs. Meat. Cream. Cheese. Greek yogurt. Scrambled.eggs. cloud bread (vile). raspberries. Strawberries. Green veg. Odd slice of livlife bread. Lidl protein rolls (vile). Peanuts. Think that was it combinations of the above ie meat and salad for lunch etc. Doc put me.on gliclazide and now.i can eat the food I like without the sugar spikes I was getting that made me feel so ill. So for me carbs aren't 'poison' but a low carb diet feels poisonous to me. Guess we're all very different!
I hope your doctor explained to you how Gliclazide works?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm ok looks pretty much like my food apart from the bread which I don't have and the peanuts which I find it hard to stop eating. Interesting that you found it restrictive when I find it liberating.. as you say each to their own.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm ok looks pretty much like my food apart from the bread which I don't have and the peanuts which I find it hard to stop eating. Interesting that you found it restrictive when I find it liberating.. as you say each to their own.

Liberating is the word that I use for the way that I eat now. It's wonderful to have escaped the tyranny of food which was how I felt when I was eating sugars and starchy carbs. All those cravings that I was only free of as I was eating or just after eating.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbs are not poison. They are deemed an essential food group.

I totally agree but I think much depends on our own attitude to food. I've brought up 3 children who are all now adults and who have inherited my healthy attitude to food and nutrition. My eldest daughter, despite having a baby remains a perfect size 10, my 6'1 son hasn't an inch of fat on him and never has. They have been brought up to understand the foods that are good and healthy, and those that should be enjoyed in moderation. They also know that I would never attempt to influence them with my LCHF lifestyle, and I would certainly never, ever have referred to any food as poison, unless of course it was something like rhurbarb leaves, which actually are.

My family know that there are many foods I CHOOSE not to eat, because I know they will affect my health and the management of my diabetes. To refer to carbs as poison is scaremongering, not to mention totally untrue. There is absolutely nothing poisonous about carbs for non-diabetics for example or for insulin dependent diabetics who manage their condition by carb counting.

I hope this topic can now be put to bed because for any new member looking for information, it could be extremely misleading

Reactions: Struma and zand

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I disgree, this is a discussion, a topic for debate. Opinions differ and almost all opinions have some validy. Commenting on a topic in 'Newly Diagnosed' etc perhaps wouldn't be a wise choice but in 'Diabetes Dicussions' it serves a purpose.

Reactions: woodywhippet61