Emergency Prescription

Lottiej1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a pickle and just wanted some advice.

So this morning ive made my way to work with a spring in my step because YAY its friday only to notice that i forgot my Little bag that i keep my insulin and other medication at home its too late too go home because im already banging down the office door because im keen to get this friday over with, so i went to boots where i normally have my prescriptions sent to although not the same branch.

Now when speaking to the lovely man about my situation he said it was fine and he could give me an emergency prescription.... Long story short ive just paid £26.14 for 1 cartridge of Novorapid and 1 cartridge of Levemir.

I know its my fault but i think its a bit expensive for a medication i need ( I didnt choose the Type 1 diabetes life, It chose me) and for it to just be one cartridge of each.

Is there anyway i can claim the money back? Im not bothered either way because its done and paid for but its useful to know for future if this happens again (Fingers crossed it doesnt)

Thanks x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wouldn't have expected you to pay for it to be honest.....thats a suprise...

Lottiej1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nor me. It's ridiculous. I wonder if anyone knows what the rules are.
Wouldn't have expected you to pay for it to be honest.....thats a suprise...

I didnt question it because he was like its an emergency prescription, Thinking about it i wish i had phoned my Dr and got him to send through a prescription... Oh well its done now, Not much i can do, Would just like to know so if this does happen again im not stung for it.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's been a couple of occasions where I've been running short on strips. If it's been a weekend when GP is closed, if I go to a pharmacy which I've used before and they have my details on record, they've got a way of just issuing an emergency batch and then they sort it out with the GP later, at no cost to me. However, I tried it once during the week and they said, no go, if the GP is still open, would need to go there (so I just left it till after 6pm and went to another chemist and got them).

I suppose it'll depend a lot on how accomodating the particular chemist is but if they've got you and your GP details on record, it does seem that there's ways of getting an emergency supply at no cost from the chemist.