I need advice and help please

logiebear

Hi there, I'm sorry this may seem long winded but I have been dealing with my diabetes for a few years now and I am getting no where fast.

When I was 30 weeks pregnanct I was diagnosed with diabetes and given insulin injections which progressed to extremely high doses for 6 weeks then I had my son. After a glucose tolerance test 10 weeks later I was told I had type 2 diabetes and was told exercise and diet control was the option. For 6 months I tried this with no success or control then I got pregnant again and began injections. I managed to control it in pregnancy and it rose so at the end of the pregnancy I was injecting 50 units of Novorapid x 3 and 50 units of Glargine at night. Then again I was sent home afterwards with no control and no follow up.

I then got pregnant in Feb of this year and was started on novorapid and glargine and metformine as my HbA1c was 9.2. I sadly lost this baby in May and my specialst nurse and I decided that as I woiuld be trying to conceive again soon that I would stay on the injections to try and get my HbA1c down to within control i.e under 7.

Now I am so concerned about my bg levels that I crying and worrying a lot over it. My current medication is this: 50 units of Novorapid x 3, 60 units of Glargine at night and Metformine Glucphage x 3 at tea time. I am still getting readings between 7.5 and 13 after each and ever meal and my doses go up weekly at the moment. I have been told that I have insulin resistance but this is just silly. I am in pain when injecting these HUGE doses and nothing is levelling out. I am putting my doses up and my bg levels are not coming down!!

Does anyone else have this kind of problem or is it just me :? :(

Tinkerbelly

Hi

Have you tried reducing the amount of carbohydrate that you are eating for your meals in order to balance up the action of the Novorapid? If not, that is your first option.

Secondly, you could try talking to your dsn about the possibility of injecting glargine twice a day instead of just at bedtime. That might help.

Thirdly, out of all the fast acting insulins available at this present time, Novorapid is said to be the slowest, so that might be the reason why your bg are on 13 after you eat (is this 2.5hrs afterwards?). You could ask about transferring over to using Apidra which goes quite well with Lantus (same make) and has a very fast action or use Humalog.

logiebear

That is great advice thanks. I have an app with the diabetes consultant this Thursday so will put these options to him. I didn't know there were other kinds of fast acting insulin. I also thought you had to have the glargine all at once. I have moved my sites too so that isn't the reason for it all.

Will try the carbs thing starting today.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm with the reduced carb diet advice. So sorry you lost a baby. It's happened to me too, not for the same reason, and I know how devastating it is.
I think in your place, I would be looking for another medical team. these don't seem to be helping you very much

Tinkerbelly

logiebear said:
Now I am so concerned about my bg levels that I crying and worrying a lot over it. My current medication is this: 50 units of Novorapid x 3, 60 units of Glargine at night and Metformine Glucphage x 3 at tea time. I am still getting readings between 7.5 and 13 after each and ever meal and my doses go up weekly at the moment. I have been told that I have insulin resistance but this is just silly. I am in pain when injecting these HUGE doses and nothing is levelling out. I am putting my doses up and my bg levels are not coming do:(

Hello again

On reading your message, I notice that you are injecting the same amount of Novorapid for each main meal. Are you also eating the same amount of carb for these meals? If so, you could try either reducing the amount of carbs or increasing the Novo a bit, like 50 units for BR and then increasing the lunch bolus according to how much carb you want to eat and what your bg levels are. The same can be done for your evening meal. As long as you can get your bg levels to be somewhere between 4-5 before you eat and then 2.5hrs later be no higher than 9, then you will found your way of balancing yourself out. Its all trial and error really. There are so many different insulins available. All of them affect bg levels in different ways. Also, try varying the quantity of carb that you eat, that will help as well. For good control its not about eating 3 healthy meals per day, all diabetics using insulin should think about eating carb in varying quantities between 4-6 times a day according to what their blood sugar levels reveal.

Hope this helps you :)