Empagliflozin

joeynomates1969

Hiya, I would like to know if anyone has used Empagliflozin and if so, how was it for you? I have tried Dsppagliflozin before and had a few side effects, one in particular was a racing heartbeat. It scared me so much so that I stopped taking it. My bloods are high and my GP says that there's no other way but to take the Empagliflozin. I am really against the idea!

janrat68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi ive just been perscrpbed this a couple of days back how are you getting on with it i posted the same question but nonine answered my post either

Reactions: gvintagedrken

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It's a bit tricky to discuss someone's meds on this forum. I would say contact your doctor immediately if you are getting any of the known side effects (or if you are experiencing something not on the list that you think is due to the med):

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/dapagliflozin-side-effects.html

If your doctor dismisses your concerns, I'd get a second opinion.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never used this medication, but there are several on the forum who have.

There are various names for the class of drug, which include anagliflozin, dapagliflozin as well as empagliflozin.

I was at a presentation the other evening where there was some discussion on this class of medication, and then about a piece of research they're doing into it, trying to understand why some people seem to lose more or less weight whilst taking it.

Observing the forum, over time, more people are beginning to be prescribed this drug. I know one person, personally, using it, and they've done really well on it, with improvement to the blood glucose scores and trimming off a bit of weight, and they've not mentioned any side-effects to me.

Some people will have side effects, unfortunately, and some will do better on one brand, rather than another.

Clearly, it makes sense to make yourself familiar with the potential side effects before you start in, so that you can understand what might be going on, if you happen to be unlucky with it.

Hopefully others might drop by and add their feedback to you.

tony83

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being lectured by my husband about my diet and medicine
My wife has been on it for about a year. She is 70 and it has worked well in keeping her blood sugar under control. But she always feels very tired now, always sleeping and litttle desire to do anything. Anyone else had this problem

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Goldielocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been taking Empagliflozin for about 8 months now and I love it! I believe it has cured the terrible problem I had with fluid retention. Suspect it, along with low carb, high fat and 800 calorie per day diet, helped me lose four and a half stones in four months. However, I found I had to be really careful with hydration. In first few weeks I kept having these horrible “episodes” where I thought I must be having a hypo (had previously been on insulin for about ten years). I’d be quite suddenly very light headed, felt sick, sweating, clammy, shaky etc. But when I tested blood glucose I was fine. Took me a while to figure out what else it could be but eventually realised I felt better after glass of water so tested my blood pressure and it was in my boots! Next time I had similar episode I tested blood pressure immediately and again found it was very low. Since then I’ve made conscious effort to take more fluids and haven’t had any more problems. BP ok now.
Don’t know why but found higher dose of Empagliflozin was no more effective than the low dose so back on the 10mg dose again. But for me, it doesn’t control blood sugar if I start taking carbs. Any carbs and I need to take insulin again.