Metformin - advise needed

novel01

Hi, I'm new to this. I was diagnosed type 2 about 18 months ago and managed it with diet until now
I have been on metformin for 3 weeks now and my blood sugars seem to be getting higher. I just started testing 3 days ago and I have varied between 18 and 22. By dr doubled my dose yesterday up to 1000 twice a day.
Can anyone tell me why my numbers are so high now and how long it takes for the metformin to kick in?
As I said I'm new to this and I am trying to learn fast. Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Which numbers were these? (when were the tests taken, I mean)
What was your most recent HbA1c?
What sort of meals do you typically eat?

Sorry for the questions, but it would help us to help you.

Metformin doesn't work in the way you may think it does. It works mainly on the liver to help reduce the amount of glucose it produces, it helps to a limited extent with insulin resistance, and it is mainly an appetite suppressant. It accumulates in the body and takes quite a while to kick in, but you are unlikely to see very much of an improvement in your levels, certainly nowhere enough to bring your current levels down to a more acceptable level.

novel01

Monday at 7 and it was 18, then after breakfast it was 20. Yesterday at 7am it was 18 and then 20. Rang doctor who said increase metformin. This morning 18, then an hour in the gym and it came down to 11. This afternoon up to 22 after oatcakes and humus and a coffee. The only carbs I had yesterday was 1 piece of brown bread.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are of the opinion that taking Metformin will sort out your blood sugars then there a disappointment looming. Increasing the dose is probably not going to do much either. You will have to examine your food intake closely. With the numbers you are achieving bread and oatcakes are definitely off the menu and you are going to have to think about every meal and what you can do to give you lower blood glucose.

Sorry to be a little pessimistic but those numbers are too high.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only carbs I had yesterday was 1 piece of brown bread.

What else did you eat and drink yesterday? There are carbs in everything apart from meat ... even lettuce!

Are you testing in an organised manner? You need to stick to a routine and keep a food diary, with notes about exercise.
Testing immediately before you eat and 2 hours after first bite is the best plan. You can then record these levels in your food diary and look for patterns to see if you can discover your danger foods. Any rise from before eating to the 2 hour mark should be under 2mmol/l and preferably less. More than that and there were too many carbs in that meal.

If your levels don't improve in a week or so you need to speak to the doctor again, show him your results and food diary, and discuss the possibility that some medication other than (or aswell as) Metformin is needed.

Diet really is the key to control.

novel01

Just chicken and veg yesterday. Just spoken to the dr again and he said continue with the increased dose of metformin and my levels should drop soon. My diet is generally very good but just recently it seems like everything if bad for the numbers. I don't understand why I have managed care t for 18 months and then it has suddenly spiked

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your doctor is being over optimistic about the Metformin. He should know better. Your levels are too high for it to have any real effect. It will help, but not enough.

Have you been ill recently? Very stressed? Sleeping badly? Started other medications? All these things can affect blood glucose levels. Even a virus that may not have manifested itself.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those levels are quite high and the Metformin will only have a very small effect. If you are not overweight or ill, and with the LC diet, I suggest you ask the GP for the tests for T1. Late onset T1 (LADA) is often missed and a T2 diagnosis given as it was, wrongly, for me. If you are LADA then additional tablets will help for a while.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

novel01

Ha. All 3, infection, stress and bad sleep.
Dr also said that when you first start taking metformin you have a spike in your bg levels?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha. All 3, infection, stress and bad sleep.
Dr also said that when you first start taking metformin you have a spike in your bg levels?

I think I would be changing my doctor if I were you.

All those things will raise levels - if they coincided with your increased levels that is.

novel01

Next question
What is the best form of exercise? I spent 45 mins on the bike this morning and it took my Lyn level down to 11. Are weights better?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Next question
What is the best form of exercise? I spent 45 mins on the bike this morning and it took my Lyn level down to 11. Are weights better?

I can't answer that, all I do is walking.
It seems to affect people differently. Strenuous exercise can raise levels in some people. Others find it helps. I can't even clean my windows without it raising mine!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just chicken and veg yesterday. Just spoken to the dr again and he said continue with the increased dose of metformin and my levels should drop soon. My diet is generally very good but just recently it seems like everything if bad for the numbers. I don't understand why I have managed care t for 18 months and then it has suddenly spiked

Absolutely nothing apart from chicken and veg?

Also, what vegetables do you eat? I'm sure you are aware of the difference between leafy veg (for instance) and things which grow underground such as carrots, parsnips and potatoes.

Mark_1

Next question

The best exercise is the one you can keep doing. All exercise burns calories/blood sugars. You levels can go up if your liver dumps when it sees your levels dropping due to exercise, but this is a good thing as your burning stored sugars leaving more storage space for next time you eat. Weights should build muscle which would increase your ability to store sugars long term so would be a better choice if you only had time for one or the other.