Metformin Blues

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What's the bike?.. sorry a bit off topic..
Hi bulkbiker
My guilty pleasure,bikes.
Had the Harleys ,CBR's Bandits,last big bike was a busa,crazy machine.
Now into Maxi scooters for a bit,the bike in the picture is a little Sinnis Scrambler,ideal for showing my boys some maintenance etc,hit the peak and now enjoy the roots of riding.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you folks for your comments and help.
Nice to know you are out there,its like a big warm hug.
Managing take 1 metformin a day.
But I think what might of been conflicting was a can of diet Pepsi with lunch.Dropped the Pepsi and seem better.
Thank you again.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bulkbiker
Now into Maxi scooters for a bit,the bike in the picture is a little Sinnis Scrambler,ideal for showing my boys some maintenance etc,hit the peak and now enjoy the roots of riding.
very cute.. has it got any go?

robertsmits

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you have your own meter?
If not I would get one.. then maybe try without the meds for a couple of weeks. Monitoringregularly and see what your blood sugar does.
I had terrible problems with Metformin so stopped them. Adopted a very low carb way of eating and got results.
The question to myself was if I ate something that did this to me would I continue eating it or would I stop and see what happened. Obviously I'm not a doctor... this is just what I did.

rgs2502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi bulkbiker
One of my friends did the Mongol Rally on a Sinnis 125. He got as far as Kazakstan before he fell off, broke his thumb and dislodged a kidney stone he didn't know he had! So we got him home, leaving the bike there. He tried again the next year via a different route and got arrested at the Russian border for having abandoned his bike in Kazakstan!

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you folks for your comments and help.
Nice to know you are out there,its like a big warm hug.
Managing take 1 metformin a day.
But I think what might of been conflicting was a can of diet Pepsi with lunch.Dropped the Pepsi and seem better.
Thank you again.
can u explain pls, why was the diet coke/pepsi a confict?

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
I have recently found using creatine as a replacement to Metformin works and also aids with training. It’s made within the body so your body will accept it better. Look on the net it explains of the tests done already. Problem is it’s more expensive than Metformin so not realistic for any doctor to perscribe

SimonCrox

I have recently found using creatine as a replacement to Metformin works and also aids with training. It’s made within the body so your body will accept it better. Look on the net it explains of the tests done already. Problem is it’s more expensive than Metformin so not realistic for any doctor to perscribe
I am not sure that creatine supplement will work the same way as metformin but it is metabolised to creatinine so you may appear to have renal impairment (falsely) on your blood tests. So if your doctor gets excited and wants to investigate your kidneys, you can put him her in picture

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
I am not sure that creatine supplement will work the same way as metformin but it is metabolised to creatinine so you may appear to have renal impairment (falsely) on your blood tests. So if your doctor gets excited and wants to investigate your kidneys, you can put him her in picture
Thanks for the advice, I keep both my doctor and Diabetic nurse updated and have blood tests regulary to to LW Cell counts. My function are fine and seem to be going nicely.

Reactions: SimonCrox

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks
I know its a common topic BUT I'm at my Witt's end with metformin.
I have lost 5 stone and considerably increased my exercise.
Hba1 when diagnosed 101 ,April 45, Hba1 now at 33.
I can't stomach metformin for more than 2 days before feeling sick and the other end goes with out saying.
I'm thinking of buying shares in Andrex.
Question is ,is my body saying you don't need these any more?
I test appropriately ever day.
My doctor said its about preserving the insulin I have?
What are your thoughts,thank you.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks
I know its a common topic BUT I'm at my Witt's end with metformin.
I have lost 5 stone and considerably increased my exercise.
Hba1 when diagnosed 101 ,April 45, Hba1 now at 33.
I can't stomach metformin for more than 2 days before feeling sick and the other end goes with out saying.
I'm thinking of buying shares in Andrex.
Question is ,is my body saying you don't need these any more?
I test appropriately ever day.
My doctor said its about preserving the insulin I have?
What are your thoughts,thank you.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My immediate reaction is change your doctor and meanwhile stop taking metformin or reduce the dosage what dose mg are you taking and how many times a day taking too high a dose can effect you.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Metformin has benefits but from your numbers it looks as though you can manage O.K. without it.

Going completely drug free for 6 months would be a good benchmark of how your body is now coping.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin has benefits but from your numbers it looks as though you can manage O.K. without it.

Going completely drug free for 6 months would be a good benchmark of how your body is now coping.
Hi
Just been to see the DN and she said the same,thank you.

Frenchclass

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am glad I found this thread, I have been on Metformin 850 x 3 but my A1C has gone up to 9 although I have chemo every 3 weeks which dosent help. My diabetic doctor has now given me Januvia 100 x 1 which already has dramatically dropped my morning and daily levels. However I have a job to eat in the evenings, acid stomach and no appetite and I really do not need to lose more weight. I wondered if dropping one of the metformin now will be better as going by this thread it dosent make a vast difference and the Januvia seems to be working well. because of the cancer my Dr is happy with a A1C or 8 which looks like my next reading will be well below that going by my daily readings.

apoe2003

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had horrible side effects so i switched to victoza and i love it. I did have to add januvia to the mix but my shift changed and sometimes that happens but i still love victoza

SimonCrox

I am glad I found this thread, I have been on Metformin 850 x 3 but my A1C has gone up to 9 although I have chemo every 3 weeks which dosent help. My diabetic doctor has now given me Januvia 100 x 1 which already has dramatically dropped my morning and daily levels. However I have a job to eat in the evenings, acid stomach and no appetite and I really do not need to lose more weight. I wondered if dropping one of the metformin now will be better as going by this thread it dosent make a vast difference and the Januvia seems to be working well. because of the cancer my Dr is happy with a A1C or 8 which looks like my next reading will be well below that going by my daily readings.

Sorry to hear about the mesothelioma, but good to hear that it is static.
I would agree with you about the metformin.
Starting from a different direction (sorry), if one is on half maximal dose of one agent and not controlled, adding a different agent is more effective with less side effects than doubling the first agent. Metformin is more likely to cause tummy upsets than sitagliptin (although both can). So continuing the sitagliptin and decreasing the metformin might well reduce the tummy upset and leave your diabetic control similar to what it is.
I would just check with your doctors that your kidney function (eGFR) is OK for your doses of metformin and sitagliptin: your eGFR might have decreased with time (it does with everyone), so that your kidneys have diffiuclty getting rid of metformin or sitagliptin, increasing the risk of side effects. I presume that they use the eGFR in France.
Best wishes

Reactions: Frenchclass