Snacks / Munchies

davey b

When I say snacks - I don't mean grabbing a quick snack for lunch, I mean more about 'munchies' in between meals.

I've always been a muncher - either fruit or crackers or crisps, but I'm not sure which is going to be best for me now. I can eat a packet of crisps with no problem (but I want to avoid them now that I'm trying to be generally healthier) and fruit plays havoc with my level now, so lately I've been having a couple of Ryvita Multigrain with either low-fat cottage cheese or peanut butter (I'm on a low-carb diet now, but I'm nowhere near overweight - I eventually want to gain weight!)

Is one or the other better or are they both bad? Neither combination seems to affect me, but as the next thing I do is stop smoking once my diabetes is sorted Ijust know that I'm going to want to munch even more!!!

Any other 'munchie' ideas? :D

jaykay

If you read the topics, 'Foods that have surprised me' posted by Lemonie and 'Low carb snacks ' posted by bikerbaby, there's discussions and lots of ideas :)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Davey! I have similar issues - although even a Ryvita sends my BGs into orbit! I need to put on a bit of weight, and so I snack on walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds - any nuts really except cashews. They have a slight impact on my BGs, but are full of good fats. I also eat avocado as a filling snack as, like you, I can't eat fruit very much - it also helps with weight gain. If your weight is an issue, you need to add full fat cheese, milk, yoghurt etc to your diet, but you'll have to balance that against any cholestorol issues. You'll need to get medical advice before doing that - and probably give up smoking.

Good luck

Smidge