Phinney says obese dietary fat intake tends to be around 50%.

JenniferG

I've seen many people recommend 70-75% dietary fat intake, even to those morbidly obese like myself.

I found this interesting, in the following video where Phinney talks about those losing weight on the ketogenic diet.

Phinney gave an example of a person losing weight whose BMR was 2800. He suggested a dietary intake of 1400 calories, and that adipose tissue contribute 50% of the total energy the body consumes.

The other 50%, the dietary intake of 1400 calories, was split into half fat and half protein + carbs. The dietary intake of fat therefore amounts to a total of 25% of the total energy the body consumes.

Between the adipose tissue and dietary fat, this amounts to 75% of the total energy the body uses.

Basically, what I got from the video is when you are obese (morbidly obese in my case) and doing this, and properly in ketosis, your body should feel pretty satiated off of body fat and less dietary fat is needed. He said as you lose weight, you might become more hungry for dietary fat, and then should up the percentage of dietary fat consumed over time, to satiation. And ultimately when you are at a desirable weight, then that's when 75% of your dietary intake is fat.

If this is the case, then I should just eat 80g of protein and 30g of carbs per day (my personal thresholds), and any fat that comes along with the protein, which interestingly comes to about 50% fat from what I've seen in my logs. [I've been eating lot of fatty treats to where my macronutrient percentage of dietary fat is as high as 75%.]

Some thoughts/ideas I have:

Maybe Jimmy Moore is still heavy because he's just eating too much fat instead of giving body a chance to happily feed off adipose tissue instead? Also guessing he probably regularly eats too much protein, as even 3-4 oz of steak is usually more than enough protein than the average body can use in a given meal, the excess being converted to glucose -- and he's extremely insulin resistant according to his HOMA-IR; I know he loves very large steaks with extreme amounts of butter. If I recall correctly, in Keto Clarity he never mentioned the possibility of limiting fat intake of morbidly obese person to 50% of dietary intake.

Also, I read in the Obesity Code that Dr. Fung says that even dietary fat raises insulin levels -- although at a much lower rate than carbs/excess protein. And if a morbidly obese person eats a very excessive amount of it (like Jimmy and myself have), I'd figure that adds up to at least some worsened insulin resistance. Whereas, fat from adipose tissue is a result of lowered insulin levels, that's how it escapes the fat cells and at just the right amount.. not bombarded by a huge amount of chylomicrons from ingested fat all at once, especially in one sitting, which I am guessing takes insulin to store so there isn't excessive fat in the blood; this is speculative, as I have no idea how the body throttles digestion of fats, but regardless Fung did say ingested fat does raise insulin levels.. whereas adipose fat in blood stream is a result of lowered insulin levels.

Last edited:

JenniferG

Starting to think I shouldn't pay attention to the fat macronutrient whatsoever as well as the caloric intake.

Perhaps I should only focus on:
1) eating a max of 30g of carbs (from above ground non-starchy vegetables) -- my threshold for good blood glucose
2) eating 75-80g of protein (for maintenance of lean tissue)
3) eating only the fat that comes along with the protein. (I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, non-lean cuts of meat, etc.). Will be about 50-55% of my macronutrients intake.
4) avoid fatty treats with very little protein-- as Phinney said my body should be satiated off adipose tissue, especially since I am morbidly obese

So once I reach 30g carbs from veggies, and 80g protein, over 3 meals, then I don't eat anything more for the day.

Reflecting on Dr. Bernstein's dietary advice:

With all the above said, Dr. Bernstein's advice of eating only the fat that comes along with protein makes some real sense now. At least in the case of the type 2's he treats, which are typically obese, the fat that comes along with the protein is about 50% of the dietary intake, the same as Phinney mentions in the video linked above.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask if a person can be sated by taking into account adipose fat? Or have I misunderstood? And what of those who have little or no adipose fat but may have high levels of visceral fat?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Starting to think I shouldn't pay attention to the fat macronutrient whatsoever as well as the caloric intake.

Perhaps I should only focus on:
1) eating a max of 30g of carbs (from above ground non-starchy vegetables) -- my threshold for good blood glucose
2) eating 75-80g of protein (for maintenance of lean tissue)
3) eating only the fat that comes along with the protein. (I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, non-lean cuts of meat, etc.). Will be about 50-55% of my macronutrients intake.
4) avoid fatty treats with very little protein-- as Phinney said my body should be satiated off adipose tissue, especially since I am morbidly obese

So once I reach 30g carbs from veggies, and 80g protein, over 3 meals, then I don't eat anything more for the day.

Reflecting on Dr. Bernstein's dietary advice:

With all the above said, Dr. Bernstein's advice of eating only the fat that comes along with protein makes some real sense now. At least in the case of the type 2's he treats, which are typically obese, the fat that comes along with the protein is about 50% of the dietary intake, the same as Phinney suggests in the video linked above.
Excellent presentation. ! I completely concur. I don’t need to lose weight ( thankfully) but if I did I would cut dietary fat and use my body fat which is what I did until I got to my desired weight. I started Atkins induction 25+ years ago and never looked back. Being much younger than I am now I didn’t pay attention to the fat thing. I just cut the carbs and didnt add fat Later, I added fat and got fatter. I eat a 75-80% fat diet but MOSTLY plant fats like avocado, olive oil, mayo and some nuts and seeds. One ounce of cheese per day. I keep animal fats low. No chicken skins, bacon, steak fat, lard, etc. I eat lean proteins and add plant fats. If I eat animal fats I gain. If you eat dietary fat beyond your threshold your body will never go to it’s own fat. As Atkin advised, once you hit your goal weigh up your fat to maintain. Meaning lower it until you hit your goal.
I find fats are very different. Animal fats raise me , albiet slowly but much longer and later and I don’t come back down. They make me insulin resistant. Plant fats work perfect but I still moderate them. Portion control. Dairy doesn’t raise my weigh but doesn’t let me lose. I only eat 1 oz cheese per day. If I stopped I’d lose but some things are just worth it!

80 gr protein is well over my threshold. Bg and need. I eat a little over half that. 20 carbs all in avocado nuts olives and above ground veggies. This of course is not for everyone. Keeps my weight, energy and bg very happy.

You’re in the right track!

Reactions: JenniferG

JenniferG

I have to research more into various types of fats with respect to insulin resistance, never heard of that before. Thanks for sharing.

JenniferG

May I ask if a person can be sated by taking into account adipose fat? Or have I misunderstood?
I just watched the first few minutes of the video again to answer your question. Yeah that's exactly what I gather from the presentation Phinney did.
And what of those who have little or no adipose fat but may have high levels of visceral fat?
I am not sure about that. I used the term "adipose tissue", whereas Phinney used the term "body fat". Sorry for the confusion.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I just watched the first few minutes of the video again to answer your question. Yeah that's exactly what I gather from the presentation Phinney did.

I am not sure about that. I used the term "adipose tissue", whereas Phinney used the term "body fat". Sorry for the confusion.

No problem at all. I remember watching this video a while ago but I will revisit it. It is a very interesting theory. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: JenniferG

JenniferG

Just watch out for the vegan propagandists on nutrition "facts"
Yeah I am familiar, e.g., with Michael Greger's reference to the frankenmouse study with respect to insulin resistance and saturated fat intake. Also he unfairly says that after going back to carb diet from high fat diet it made insulin resistance worse, without explaining it was only temporary for a day or two, giving a chance to re-adapt to sugar based diet. Just like it takes time to keto adapt, it takes time to sugar adapt. I recommend sticking with one diet and not going back and forth -- and certainly not making crazy claims that one or the other does harm to you when it's just a short adaption phase.

Reactions: Indy51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Phinney gave an example of a person losing weight whose BMR was 2800. He suggested a dietary intake of 1400 calories, and that adipose tissue contribute 50% of the total energy the body consumes.
That's kind of a misrepresentation of what he really says.. and your thread title completely misrepresents what he says.
He says eating fat to satiety means that people tend towards 1400 calories not that that should be their target. A subtle but very significant difference. Eating fat to satiety means not counting fat and calories but eating until you feel full then stopping. Some people who don't have easy access to their fat stores (due to insulin resistance maybe) may not be able to make up the difference and so may only achieve metabolic slowdown by eating lower calories. This is where a lot of people trying to follow a ketogenic diet make mistakes by being too numbers driven. Listening and recognising signals from your body is more important than MyFitnessPal figures.

JenniferG

That's kind of a misrepresentation of what he really says.. and your thread title completely misrepresents what he says.
He says eating fat to satiety means that people tend towards 1400 calories not that that should be their target. A subtle but very significant difference. Eating fat to satiety means not counting fat and calories but eating until you feel full then stopping. Some people who don't have easy access to their fat stores (due to insulin resistance maybe) may not be able to make up the difference and so may only achieve metabolic slowdown by eating lower calories. This is where a lot of people trying to follow a ketogenic diet make mistakes by being too numbers driven. Listening and recognising signals from your body is more important than MyFitnessPal figures.

I don’t necessarily think I can fairly listen to my body for satiation if I am eating an extra 1000 calories of fat per day beyond what Phinney says morbidly obese people tend to consume (which is 50% of macronutrient intake), versus just having the body burn adipose tissue. This is because, as Dr. Fung states, dietary fat intake does in fact increase insulin, whereas we know adipose tissue fat access is a result of decreased insulin. Increased insulin, especially in an extremely insulin resistant person (like myself and Jimmy), makes one more hungry because cells have harder time getting energy.

I just think I should give my body a chance to burn its fat more and that I’ll have better satiation when doing so , because again the use of adipose tissue fuel does not raise insulin like digested fats, but in fact is a result of decreased insulin levels.

That said, I’ll eat fat bombs and drink bullet proof coffee, after I have lost another 150 pounds. I’ve lost 85 pounds so far on keto. When I get down near 25 BMI that’s when I’ll add the fat bombs… that’s because I’ll need them then because I won’t have so much excess adipose tissue. If I add them now, regularly and in excess, then all I’ll do is raise my my insulin levels & resistance which will make me more hungry, lower the level of my ketosis, restrict my access to adipose tissue, and cause me to crave more protein and/or muchmore fat. (Then the vicious cycle starts again.)

For the time being I’ll just eat whatever fat comes along with the protein, as Phinney seems to at least indirectly imply (for a morbidly obese person, i.e. tendency) and as Dr. Bernstein has already said. Which will be about 55% of my dietary intake.

There's a possibility people don't readily have access to their body fat, despite restricting carbs and protein adequately, because they are eating way too many fat calories which increases insulin levels, unlike adipose tissue. Especially in very insulin resistant like myself and Jimmy Moore. If I start getting hungry and need satiation, it probably means I have excess glycogen pool and should probably deplete that more to get into a better level of ketosis, to access adipose tissue more readily. I've been doing that lately. Instead of eating, I drink some water and I exercise.. soon I am no longer hungry. But from now on my idea is to eat just the right amount of carbs, just enough protein and fat that comes along with the protein to stay in a great level of ketosis, and never feel that hunger.

I'll still be eating the same carbs and protein, but instead of 2000 calories in fat, I'll eat 1000 calories in fat. (btw, I burn 4000 calories per day between BMR and activity). At the same time losing an extra 1000 calories of fat in weight each day, which I so desperately need to do. I should be better satiated because the body fat is accessed via decreased levels of insulin, which improves level of nutritional ketosis, whereas the digested fat does raise insulin levels; although it raises it much less than protein/carbs I figure still counts in excessive amounts like 1000 calories.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I still think, "limit carbs, eat as much fat as you like" is the best advice for new people with Type2, as getting BG under control quickly is more important than losing weight. With quick results that are measurable (BG before/after meals) comes increased motivation.

If it takes "fat bombs" to stop people eating high carb stacks so be it....

The quickest way to decrease the insulin level to access our bodies fat is intermittent fasting, I expect limiting eating to 8hr a day will go a long way towards weight loss.

JenniferG

Ringi, thanks for sharing.

My blood glucose before I started was A1C 10 along with 200 units of insulin and metformin. Now I am A1C 4.9, zero insulin and no meds. I've lost 85 pounds so far. I have 150 pounds to lose. I owe this to the ketogenic diet (with some intermittent fasting) along with exercise lately.

Yeah I agree with what you are saying, at least to start, don't worry about fat macronutrient because people first need to get used to cutting carbs and eating only the protein the body actually needs. That's what I did. First I just focused on carbs , then later tweaked protein down. Now I am thinking the extra 1000 calories in fat beyond 1500 calories per day (2500 calories per day), is not helping. It must be raising insulin levels some and making it harder. So now I am focusing on cutting down dietary fat since I have 150 pounds excess adipose tissue. I found it very itneresting in the Phinney video that he said the obese tend towards 50% dietary fat intake for satiety.

My goal is to fast at least 12 hours per day (overnight between breakfast and dinner). Have been doing this as of late. Last night was 13 hours fast. Ideally I want it to be about 14 hours fast. I've done the 23:1 and 18:6 fasts in the past as well.

If I end up doing the 18:6 fast again, I'll be eating just breakfast and lunch, because allegedly those are supposed to be the most beneficial times to eat, even according to Dr. Fung:
https://idmprogram.com/eat-fast-break-fast/
Fortunately my boyfriend works in the evenings and we get to eat breakfast and lunch together.

Lately I've been trying to keep my dinner light in both total carbs as well as protein. So a green salad (greens, scallions, cucumber, sliced pepper rings) with olive oil & vinegar works for me.. along with a few sprinkles of feta and maybe a tbsp of diced ham. This will make the overnight fast a lot more powerful, due to less protein and carbs to raising insulin levels.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t necessarily think I can fairly listen to my body for satiation if I am eating an extra 1000 calories of fat per day beyond what Phinney says morbidly obese people tend to consume

Maybe not but I'm afraid however much you may want him to he does not say what you claim he does. That was my point.

JenniferG

Regardless, he says the obese tend towards dietary fat intake of 50% for satiety. And if I don't tend towards 50% then it makes me wonder if my approach is wrong, as well as other very insulin resistant & persistently obese folk like Jimmy Moore.

And actually the title of his slide during his presentation is "The Four Phases of a Well-Forumulated Ketogenic Diet" and he listed dietary intake of fat at 25% in the ADAPT column, the first "step". He said it was an older terminology that he and Jeff used. (I bet he even printed it out and handed it to people as a suggested plan.) I feel it is most definitely is a suggestion. He supported his suggestion with an example of the tendency of the obese to feel satiated on 50% dietary intake of fat. So I don't agree with you that it isn't necessarily a suggestion. And of course there are always exceptions to a suggestion, but from what I gather he enthusiastically said that most obese people spontaneously reduced caloric intake to where dietary fat intake was about 50% of intake. And this seems to be in conflict from what I read in Keto Clarity, from most recommendations on the Internet forums, as well from what I have personally experienced -- so I question my approach.. thinking 1000 extra calories of fat per day (beyond what Phinney mentioned), from fat bombs, might be a bad idea due to raising insulin levels and resistance.. making it harder to access adipose tissue, re-enabling the vicious cycle I have been in all my life. I should be satiated from adipose tissue, and I haven't been, consuming ever increasing portions of fat--which only makes me hungrier due to increased insulin. Things will change for the better though I feel as I've started my new plan (mentioned above) yesterday.

Also the target I was speaking of wasn't a caloric target but 50% of dietary intake, the same as the ADAPT column. (Step one). I personally have a BMR of 2800 so his example happens to match me perfectly.

EDIT: I asked the moderators to re-title thread to: Phinney says obese dietary fat intake tends to be 50%. They did, and thanks for that.

Last edited:

JenniferG

Regarding all this talk I've been saying about my new plan, about how I'd pretty much eat the fat that comes along with the protein and that I wouldn't be eating fat bombs:

Well I should probably restate that as: I will eat the fat that comes long with protein or used as a topping for vegetables or salads. I absolutely require ample extra virgin olive oil over my salad and grass fed butter on my freshly steamed veggies.

I am really just avoiding standalone fat bombs, at least for now since I'm morbidly obese, which for me includes things like: extremely excessive amounts of homemade sour cream ranch dip, low carb parfaits, low carb ice cream, and even heavy cream in my coffee (don't miss it much -- cashew milk works as decent substitute for me). Also going to lighten up my chowder a bit maybe with 1/2 stick butter instead of 1 stick.
smile.png

That all said, if I have an unusual day where I am absolutely craving a dessert (which really hasn't been happening to me as of late), I will definitely eat a low carb fat bomb dessert. But I will limit myself to this say once per week, not several times per day like I have been doing
smile.png

I look forward to when I am BMI 25, so I can eat plenty of fat bombs (e.g. bulletproof coffee) as I maintain my weight (and diabetes) with ketogenic diet (for life).

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are getting into this much detail there are two books you should read.
  • The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable by Jeff S. Volek PhD RD (Author), Stephen D. Phinney MD PhD
  • The Complete Guide to Fasting by Jason Fung
If you want a 3rd book to cover all the bases
  • Living Low Carb Paperback by CNS Jonny Bowden

JenniferG

If you are getting into this much detail there are two books you should read.
  • The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable by Jeff S. Volek PhD RD (Author), Stephen D. Phinney MD PhD
  • The Complete Guide to Fasting by Jason Fung
If you want a 3rd book to cover all the bases
  • Living Low Carb Paperback by CNS Jonny Bowden
Thank you, I own both of the first two books you mentioned and have read them. I haven't read the last one, I'll have to check that out.

My relevant book collection in the order they are sitting on my shelf (sorted by date published) :

The seven bolded ones are the seven I'd choose to keep if I was limited to only seven books
(Runner ups would be: The Obesity Code & Your Diabetes Questions Answered)

The Rosedale Diet by Dr. Ron Rosedale
Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
The New Atkins for a New You by Westman, Phinney & Volek
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes
The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney & Volek
Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis
Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein
Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney & Volek
Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter, MD
Cholesterol Clarity by Moore & Westman
Keto Clarity by Moore & Westman
The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz