Confused

Jen74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive been having serious trouble with bms everything i eat raises me to at least 19, i admit i havent been playing ball all the time, so last night i had a salad with 3 slices of ham, boiled egg and small spoon of coleslaw, then a small yoghurt...bm still went up to 19.6 is this a reaction to that meal or past foods stored, my bm never goes below 15 even on an empty stomach as a result have recently lost 9kg (not complaining at that) but the constant blurred vision a pain, begining to think i could be insulin resistant or im just not producing enough to deal with anything i eat

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Ive been having serious trouble with bms everything i eat raises me to at least 19, i admit i havent been playing ball all the time, so last night i had a salad with 3 slices of ham, boiled egg and small spoon of coleslaw, then a small yoghurt...bm still went up to 19.6 is this a reaction to that meal or past foods stored, my bm never goes below 15 even on an empty stomach as a result have recently lost 9kg (not complaining at that) but the constant blurred vision a pain, begining to think i could be insulin resistant or im just not producing enough to deal with anything i eat

Hi Jen74,
You write that your bm never goes below 15 - so is it safe to assume that you were at this level before the meal and you went up by 4mmol? ( The before and after figures would be useful.)

How many carbs were in the yoghurt? I have read posts on the forum before where somebody has written that they have reacted badly to eggs

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What diabetes medications are you taking?

Have these levels always been so high, or are they trending upwards?

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
How long have you been low carb? Those numbers seem to be high. A diet change may take a while to work its way through into your bg levels. Your doctor may want to change or modify your medication. Was the yoghurt on that you made at home or was it 'low fat'? If it was low fat then it may have a surprising amount of sugar in it, the manufacturers replace the fats with sugar to keep the texture and flavours. Try a sugar free jelly with a few berries and cream for a dessert, or make your own unflavoured yoghurt.
With autumn and winter coming I change from salads to vegetable based stews and soups, remembering to use mainly above ground growing vege.
Well done on the weight loss.

Jen74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im on alogliptin but only 12.5mg these readings are over last couple months i used to be able to control it a lot better but seems worse since going on these which is strange

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried searching this forum for alogliptin and seeing what other people's experiences of the med. are?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im on alogliptin but only 12.5mg these readings are over last couple months i used to be able to control it a lot better but seems worse since going on these which is strange

Does your doctor know about your levels increasing? It could be your pancreas just isn't secreting enough insulin, especially as the Alogliptin is designed to encourage the pancreas to produce extra insulin. If it were me I would want to discuss all this with my doctor, and maybe ask for a C-Peptide test, which may help determine if you do produce enough insulin.

Jen74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a review scheduled mid november ill ask about the c peptide is it a blood test?

Jen74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried searching this forum for alogliptin and seeing what other people's experiences of the med. are?
No i never thought i just presumed the tablets would do what they are supposed to, didnt think they could be the issue, ill search that thanks

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it's bought coleslaw, it also most likely has added sugar. I know its hard to believe, but I spotted it when reading packaging. The yoghurt could also be an issue as many have sugar.

Jen74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just cant believe how limited u actually are with food so much hidden in processed pre packaged food its crazy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that I am not limited at all - I just don't eat so many things which others seem to trip up over - but I have had to eat low carb just to control my weight for decades before diagnosis, and so I suspect that I have been dealing with diabetes long before I knew I had it. I buy loads of meat from the local butcher, fish and chicken from the local supermarket, all bare naked rather than coated, lots of fresh veges and some fresh fruits, and frozen berries and vege mixes. The Greek yogurt is low carb, I go along the back of the supermarket picking up bacon cream cheese and yogurt, plus corned beef and packages sliced meats which are not honeyed or breaded - premade simple salads, are usually good, and I read the labels on anything with one. I find quite a lot to eat.
I always keep in mind that food processors always like to sell sugar and starches at protein prices - I used to work for one so I know that their thought processes are very simple - more profit is their goal.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a review scheduled mid november ill ask about the c peptide is it a blood test?

Jen - Just a very quick response from me at this time of night. Please do keep a close eye on those blood numbers. High numbers, plus unintentional weight loss can indicate that your body really is struggling to regulate your blood glucose. Of course, you may have been dieting, but I don't get a sense of that from your posts.

It could well be that your meds need to be adjusted, or changed, if your numbers changing marries up with the timing of your meds changing.

Last week I learned that there are over 400 possible drug combinations (combinations, not individual drugs!) available to treat Type 2 diabetes, so it seems probable there could be options available to you, if your current regime isn't suiting you.

On a final note, if those numbers are going up further before your review, please do seek an urgent consultation - even if it is over the telephone. Numbers that are too high or too low shouldn't be ignored.

Jen74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jen - Just a very quick response from me at this time of night. Please do keep a close eye on those blood numbers. High numbers, plus unintentional weight loss can indicate that your body really is struggling to regulate your blood glucose. Of course, you may have been dieting, but I don't get a sense of that from your posts.

It could well be that your meds need to be adjusted, or changed, if your numbers changing marries up with the timing of your meds changing.

Last week I learned that there are over 400 possible drug combinations (combinations, not individual drugs!) available to treat Type 2 diabetes, so it seems probable there could be options available to you, if your current regime isn't suiting you.

On a final note, if those numbers are going up further before your review, please do seek an urgent consultation - even if it is over the telephone. Numbers that are too high or too low shouldn't be ignored.

My bm have been creeping up for few months but most significant rise has been sunce starting the alogliptin, woke with a bm of 20 this morning after 8hrs sleep so ye very strange, i didnt have tea last night so did have a bowl of porridge before bed which i know isnt a good choice but i would have thought after 8 hrs sleep my bm should have been a lot lower

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My bm have been creeping up for few months but most significant rise has been sunce starting the alogliptin, woke with a bm of 20 this morning after 8hrs sleep so ye very strange, i didnt have tea last night so did have a bowl of porridge before bed which i know isnt a good choice but i would have thought after 8 hrs sleep my bm should have been a lot lower

Thanks for clarifying, Jen.

Whatever the underlying cause, it sounds like something isn't working for you. In your shoes, I'd definitely be keen to discuss it with my Nurse or Doc.

Please do keep a close eye on those numbers. If you have any concerns, or if they suddenly shoot up further, then do seek urgent help.

Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: Jen74