Cranberry sauce

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you make your own and don't sweeten it with sugar then you should be OK with it - the sugar syrup ready made would not be so good.

Reactions: TIANDB

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own I'm sure you could.easily sub sweetener for brown sugar. I add clementine and port to mine but pretty sure you could make it without it's very very easy to make.

Reactions: Nicolii

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The cranberries will be back in supermarket stores shortly so you will be able to make your own.

Reactions: Nicolii

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I Don, t eat cranberry sauce but I would imagine it would have lots of sugar in it

Nicolii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The cranberries will be back in supermarket stores shortly so you will be able to make your own.
How do cranberries come in natural form and where do you buy it and in what season. I've only ever seen it in a jar or juice. I've never seen it in real form.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
How do cranberries come in natural form and where do you buy it and in what season. I've only ever seen it in a jar or juice. I've never seen it in real form.
They are a bigger than red currants but nut as big as a small grape. I was getting mine from Waitrose, but I know they were in at least one other major supermarket. I put them in a Nutribullet with water - very sour but I don't mind that. They definitely will be in before Christmas.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shop bought cranberry sauce, although it’s 48g carbs per 100g (Tesco own brand), I get away with a teaspoonful which equals less than 3g of carbohydrate, eaten with a fatty roast dinner.

Reactions: Nicolii and Gannet

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The fresh berries are usually in the shops for a few weeks before Christmas. I buy the packages of them and just put them straight in the freezer as they freeze and defrost very well.

To make the sauce is easy - just put some frozen or defrosted cranberries in to a saucepan with a tablespoon of liquid (brandy whisky, red wine or water), some sweetener, a half teaspoon of cinnamon and a couple of cloves and cook gently until the berries pop and the sauce thickens. Taste and add more sweetener if necessary - cool before serving. I often add more spices.

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
Is cranberry sauce bad for type 2 diabetes? Does it have to much sugar in it?

Yes, it's high in sugar, but I have just a small portion (a teaspoonful). I feel I have given up enough and don't worry about condiments. I make my own mint jelly and don't cut down the sugar. Again, I have just a small teaspoonful.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waitrose also do their own brand of frozen cranberries and these have a somewhat longer "season" than the fresh berries - they're available now and on offer.

I'd recommend too that you make your own sauce, and you can also treat this like any other (cooked) fruit and have a little with double cream, creme fraiche or greek yogurt as an alternative to other berries.

Diverting slightly - one of my winter treats is cranberry muffins, I just add a spoonful of cranberries and a bit cinnamon and orange zest to my basic muffin mix, bake, scoff, and I'm a happy little hippo... :D

Robbity

Vhm1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Buy a bag of frozen or fresh whole cranberries. Cook them down in a heavy sauce pan with some water, about 1/8 to 1/4C of orange juice unsweetened, zest of 1 orange, 1 or 2 cinnamon sticks, and some ethyritrol or other favorite sugar substitute. The berries will pop. Keep stirring over low heat until it thickens. This will last in the fridge for weeks in an airtight container. Delicious.