Does anyone know if there is a connection between hypothyroidism and T2DM?

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
My 49 year old son has hypothyroidism and takes thyroxin. He doesn't live in the Uk so I only know what he has told me but I understand about 15years ago he had Hyperthyroidism and this was treated successfully. Then hypothyroidism kicked in. He does struggle with his weight and does have a large waist line which is probably down to the thyroid problem as he doesn't eat an enormous amount..
Now he tells me that his thyroid doc has told him that he will soon develop diabetes. I know no more than that but presume that he has been given an HbA1c test alongside the thyroid tests. I have no idea what his numbers might be and he doesn't seem to know either. I don't actually think he realises how important this is although I have stressed the point.
Could this be attributed to the thyroid problem or not?

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My 49 year old son has hypothyroidism and takes thyroxin. He doesn't live in the Uk so I only know what he has told me but I understand about 15years ago he had Hyperthyroidism and this was treated successfully. Then hypothyroidism kicked in. He does struggle with his weight and does have a large waist line which is probably down to the thyroid problem as he doesn't eat an enormous amount..
Now he tells me that his thyroid doc has told him that he will soon develop diabetes. I know no more than that but presume that he has been given an HbA1c test alongside the thyroid tests. I have no idea what his numbers might be and he doesn't seem to know either. I don't actually think he realises how important this is although I have stressed the point.
Could this be attributed to the thyroid problem or not?
Hypothyroidism and diabetes, both T1 and T2, is a common combination.

If he still has symptoms he may need a higher dose. Personally I never felt thyroxine did much for me so am now on NDT instead. There is also synthetic T3 he could try in combination with Levothyroxine. He may need to find a doctor who treats patients as with hypothyroidism they usually only treat blood tests; if the blood tests are within the very wide reference range they are satisfied, regardless of remaining symptoms.