How often should you check HbA1C

ssyarien

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all;
Ideally, how often should we check HbA1C?
Do you think once in 3 months is okay?
The cost for this test is quite expensive so I always think twice before drawing my blood to lab. :)
Regards;
Sy

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am in Canada and I get tested every 3 months.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think it would depend on your control of blood glucose and your medication. I will have my next A1c in February after a gap of six months. This suits me.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no point in testing more often than once every three months but if your control is good then six months or annually can be sufficient.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first follow up was three months, the next is six - we don't have to pay for ours, so I have to take my guidance from a GP that refuses to advise his T2 diabetic patients to test themselves to see how they are doing... so... who knows if that's a decent gap or not!

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I do think every six months unless uncontrolled.
I have annual test

D

Deleted Account

Given HbA1C measures an average over the last 3 months, there does not seem to be much reason to get it measured any more often.
After that, it depends on why you are getting it measured - to confirm you are still doing ok, to make you feel good about improvements or because you have concerns things are getting worse.

I believe in the UK, it is typically taken every 6 or 12 months.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you have a glucometer you can track bg using a method that @Bluetit1802 uses, I think this method gives a predicted A1c value but personally I know little about it. Perhaps Blue can help?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my first two tests after diagnosis at two months intervals, my next will be at three. I use the app MySugr, which gives a predicted estimate of my HbA1c. At my last HbA1c check at the Drs MySugr was suggesting 34.4 when my lab result was 36, so not far off. That was based on me doing 5-8 tests a day.
EDIT I’m in the UK btw

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every 3 months gives you coverage of the whole year since that is the lifetime of red blood cells. Every 6 months is fine if you have good control. My endo sees me every 6 months (more frequently if I want to talk to her about something), but about a month ago I needed a blood test for something else so the doctor just chucked HbA1c on there since I might as well have it done if I'm getting blood drawn. This happened to me once before as well, both times when I was feeling like my control was not particularly good, and both times I was pleasantly surprised :) It's really up to you and your doctor to decide how often you want it done based on your individual treatment and goals.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a glucometer you can track bg using a method that @Bluetit1802 uses, I think this method gives a predicted A1c value but personally I know little about it. Perhaps Blue can help?

Not me! I've been trying for over 3 years to track my HbA1c with constant finger pricking on my glucometer, and using the Libre sensor, and failed every time, quite miserably. *(My red blood cells don't play nicely)

@ssyarien To answer your question, if you don't use a glucometer at home to check your levels, then I would suggest 3 months is an ideal gap between each HbA1c. There is no point in having the test more frequently than that. It is easy for us here in the UK because we don't have to pay for them, our doctors decide how often we need them, which is every 3, 6 or 12 months depending on circumstances.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bluetit18post: 1604115 said:
Not me! I've been trying for over 3 years to track my HbA1c with constant finger pricking on my glucometer, and using the Libre sensor, and failed every time, quite miserably. *(My red blood cells don't play nicely)

@ssyarien To answer your question, if you don't use a glucometer at home to check your levels, then I would suggest 3 months is an ideal gap between each HbA1c. There is no point in having the test more frequently than that. It is easy for us here in the UK because we don't have to pay for them, our doctors decide how often we need them, which is every 3, 6 or 12 months depending on circumstances.
Sorry Bluetit, I can't think who it was that was commenting on this techy system, now. Maybe it will come to me.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is no point in testing more often than once every three months but if your control is good then six months or annually can be sufficient.

I used to think this, but Dr David Unwin said on Twitter recently that he now tests after as little as 4 weeks, as the result will be coming down by then if someone has switched to low carb. He is looking for numbers he can use to give people encouragement even if the number is "not of clinical interest".

I was told 8 weeks for the first retest by my GP as by then the number will be coming down, and if it has not, the metformin dose would need to be increased to the max dose.

Reactions: Struma
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to think this, but Dr David Unwin said on Twitter recently that he now tests after as little as 4 weeks, as the result will be coming down by then if someone has switched to low carb. He is looking for numbers he can use to give people encouragement even if the number is "not of clinical interest".

I was told 8 weeks for the first retest by my GP as by then the number will be coming down, and if it has not, the metformin dose would need to be increased to the max dose.
OK then YES if it makes you feel better.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My opinion: It depends whether you are doing any other blood glucose monitoring.

If you are not using a blood glucose meter at home, and relying entirely on HbA1C tests done at the clinic, then (in my opinion) the safest thing would be to have them done every three months. That is because, as we know, the A1C test measures the average BG level over the previous 8 to 12 weeks.

I realise that this flies in the face of medical practice nowadays, which is to do the A1C every six months or annually, for "well controlled" T2 diabetics. I was recently diagnosed, so am still on a three-month A1C routine. I won't be particularly happy if they switch me to six months, because I don't use a home meter. This means I could have three-month "spikes" in my average BG and be none the wiser, if that three-month period happens to fall at the beginning of the six-month A1C test interval.

If I have to "go private" for this, maybe I will. I'm in America, and already have to pay for all my A1C tests, because the insurance covers only a portion of the cost (albeit a large portion). If I have to pay for the entire cost, it will be a lot more expensive.

Regardless of the medical wisdom, it is also a matter of psychological reassurance. Not having the three-monthly A1C tests would pile on the mental stress, in my case. Others might be OK with it though.

ssyarien

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for the answers.
I think I will settle with 3 months interval as I'm just newly diagnosed 4 weeks ago and my GP sent me immediately for HbA1C test. Since then, I regularly check my blood sugar every morning before breakfast. My meter reading for blood sugar now is in range of 5.5 - 7.5 mmol/L which is quite encouraging for "newbie" like me.

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Not sure if this is the same method but the MySugr app provides an estimated A1c value if you log 21 readings in a 7 day period. App is free and fully functional but has a subscription for additional reports, photos, etc. I've found the app useful, although wish it was a bit more flexible, paid for a subscription but find the extra content not that useful.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not sure if this is the same method but the MySugr app provides an estimated A1c value if you log 21 readings in a 7 day period. App is free and fully functional but has a subscription for additional reports, photos, etc. I've found the app useful, although wish it was a bit more flexible, paid for a subscription but find the extra content not that useful.
That may be the system I was thinking of, thank you.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends on individual circumstances with less frequent testing needed the more stable things are
I home test and am under the hospital diabetes team for my reviews. I have very stable hba1c results within target and so have been on annual reviews for some time with the facility to book an earlier review if my home testing resulte go squiffy