VICTOZA users

jane22

Re: VICTOZA

Hi Muriel. Good luck with the Victoza and I hope it helps you. I take Byetta which is also an injectable drug with a side effect of weight loss and I have lost weight. Of course I'm no expert but I wouldn't be happy with the advice of not to eat unless you were very hungry. I attended a training morning before I started Byetta and the advice was to eat small amounts of nutritious food. I was told portion control is very important with a reduction of everything especially carbs. However we were told to eat 3 small meals a day and a couple of tiny snacks if we needed them. I can't see that skipping meals is a sensible thing to do especially for a diabetic. If the side effect of Victoza is anything like Byetta you will feel like eating much less anyway. Turn this to your advantage by selecting tiny meals with very nutritious food and cut out the junk.

pinktess

Hi all :D

Well ive been on victoza a week now, was shown how to use it nearly 2 weeks ago now , but my DN give me a practice pen to use on a orange till i worked up the courage to inject myself...bit of a coward when it comes to needles. Its ok someone doing it for you but to do it to your self is a totaly different matter.But anyways i worked up the courage to do it, and i got to admit i didnt realy feel it at all.
Im on 0.6 at the moment, but have to increase it to 1.2 today, not looking forward to it as ive had a few side affects....eggy burbs...tender stomach...feeling bloated..had a few moments that ive wanted to be sick but they have passed quickly.Ive really gone off my food, all i had yesterday was a few spoonfulls of granola, a bannana,yogurt and a small salad roll.
Ive also had moments that remind me when i was pregnant..when you smells something cooking and it turns your stomach..my husband was cooking sausage the other day and i had to go outside cos the smell just made me realy sick.
On the upside my morning bg lvl is around 6.2 which for me is great as its allways high in a morning, and my bg lvls have never been lower than 7.5 the whole time ive been diabetic.

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Heavy exercise.Salt Vegetables without spices

Lost another 4lbs. YES!!! Now standing at 13st 2lbs.

Most of the syptoms have gone just feel a little queasy when I see how much food my fellow work mates consider as a small portion. It doesn't half put you off eating and then I take a couple of pieces of fruit and a yoghurt.

I used to have trouble with pain in my legs. Sort of like an elastic band around my calves and the occassional bad cramp. So I wore magnetic leg wraps to aid circulation. I haven't worn them since Wednesday. No ill effects as yet.

All in all I am very pleased with the results.

Got another two weeks before I can get to the PN as she seems to be very busy. Hey Ho.

Catch you later :D

ChelleQ

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I have been on 0.6 for 3 weeks now.. I see my Dr. Tomorrow. My sugars are down quite alot but I have found today I am starving. I have lost some weight in this 3 weeks and I dont want to gain it back. Has this happen to you? I just want to eat and eat today

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes

The same happened to me yesterday I am hoping it was just a blip as I seem to be alright today.

ChelleQ

Type of diabetes
Type 2

better today then yesterday but still not like before. I liked having no appetite. I see the dr. this afternoon so will see what he says

lou27

Hi all

New to this but was wondering if anyone has been on victoza for any length of time? I have been on it for a week now and am still feeling very sick, lots of headaches and upset stomach :( . On the plus side i have lost 6lbs and have hardly any appitite and most impotant bs are down :D .

Lou

ChelleQ

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hello,
Well went to the dr. on thursday and he was happy with the results so far. I didnt get on the scale as I was being weird about it lol. anyways he has put me up to the next dose. I am wondering if any of you had the side effects again once upped? I start it today and really dont want to go through that again.

Lou, I have been on it for about a month now. The first week was tough, but it gets better and now I am doing great. Once in a while I have a sick tummy but usually if I over eat. The weight loss has stopped for me now and I do feel hungry again, Didnt for a few weeks and loved it. Dont give up your almost over the bad parts. Good Luck to you :)

pinktess

hi all :D
well i was on the 0.6 dose for a week, by the time it got to me upping the dose i was feeling much better.Im now on the 1.2 dose and i went down hill again for a few days, felt really sick. But day by day im starting to feel much better. ive noticed certain foods are making me ill, i had a burger one night and felt sick for 24 hr after and couldnt eat anything... wont be eating anymore of them!
On the good side my blood suger lvl are great and im losing weight.. :D

lou27

Thanks Chelle, Glad to hear there is an end to this in sight. I started on 1.2mg yesturday and am feeling even worse. Today i have developed eggy burps :? Whats that about?? But am so glad to here that the side effects have worn off for you and hope mine do soon.

Lou

I have been on Victoza for 12 weeks. I have lost 2 stones 1 pound and my blood readings are normally between 5-7. They were around 16. My nurse has told me I am now controlled and only need check twice a week instead of 6 times a day ! I have never felt or have been sick but I had a bad stomach for weeks. That has just about gone back to normal now. I was on insulin and gliclazide I stopped the insulin the day I went on Victoza and the gliclazide after a month when my levels were too low. It is great just having one little jab in the morning then nothing else.
This drug has turned my life around I am extremely grateful that I was given it. To those with side effects I would say stick with it , the healthier you eat the less side effects.

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes

At the end of the third week I have lost no weight this week but neither have I gained still 13st 2lbs.

BS numbers are 7/8ish through the day 13ish after evening meal. Must try harder.

Eating wise finding it easier to go back to old habits. :oops:

But I still have to see the DN and PN on Thursday. So I am rather expecting for my dose to be increased.

No really bad side effects unless I have something very sweet, but I am trying to stick to fruit rather than a pudding.

I wish there was an alternative to fruit and vegetables, as I dislike both in the extreme.

Any suggestions welcome.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello Valeris

Just wondering which dose of Victoza you are taking? I started on 0.6 at the beginningn of August (changed from Byetta) and went on to the 1.2 dose after the first week. I am still struggling with my numbers and my last HbA1C was up again. When I made enquiries about going onto the 1.8 dose I was mostly informed that it would not help so I am wondering whether it is the 1.8 you are expecting to go up to? :?
My diabetes nurse is visiting me on Thursday morning to discuss my "mess" and hopefully make some sort of plan!!

Jude :)

lou27

Hi Jude

I was also told by my DN that the 1.8mg dose was not to be used as apparently it has no benificial effects, but since reading others posts some do indeed use the 1.8mg dose :?

Lou

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello Lou

I see you are a newcomer to these boards - welcome - they are indeed the best source of information and support - IMO!! I have been diagnosed 5 years now and so far have not managed to get good control.

I was just about to put another post asking how many people are on the 1.8 dose - I posted these previously but did not really get any replies except a couple saying that they had been advised that the higher dose would not help. It seems a little odd that there is a higher dose if it is not therapuetic?!!

I will post after thursday when I have seen my DN. :) Jude

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Jude and Lou.

The studies with the higher 1.8 dose have shown that it confers not much real benefit to the Patients who have used it. Now I can't tell you if that is true or not, we were hoping somebody using it at that level could offer some explanation. Maybe cost also comes into it as the drug is very expensive.

As with any of these types of drugs they will all work better when combined with a good diet, reduction of carbs and some moderate exercise. If people rely on the drug alone then they will be disappointed.

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes

Hello Jude

I am on 0.6 at the moment and I am sort of expecting to go up to 1.2 on Thursday, when I see both the Practice and Distric Nurses.

I am also trying to increase my tolerance of metformin with very slow progress. :(

ChelleQ

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I am on the 1.2 now.. first day I felt really sick, second day a little sick , each day is better , my numbers are good but my appetite is back :(

How are you doing Lou?

lou27

Hi Chelle

Not to good been feeling sick all day and now have a terrible cold :( . But i was told by my DN that this should only last for the first two weeks so as i am on day 11 i am hoping this will not last too much longer. But it is lowering my BS and that is great as i have never has good control since being diagnoised 3 years ago. Before that i was a gestational diabetic with both my children and had to inject and my control was good then. One year after my last child and i had type 2 (I was told i would get this but when i was about 50 not 28) So if victoza works then i will be :lol: . So tired of feeling ill. Anyway that's me finished rabbiting on. Hope you feel better soon.

Lou

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes

Hi all.

Been to see DN and PN, both are happy with my current results.

I have to stay on 0.6 for the moment until I can regulate the metformin to 2000mg unless the numbers start going up then I've to increase to 1.2.

Appetite is back but not too much, so I am not eating big meals. I think it's about average.

Next see the DN in January when I will have bloods taken.

So all in all I am happy. :D