Type 2 Pulse rate increase

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Hello everyone. There is so much good advice on here I thought I'd check for some. I am 66 with Type 2. I am fairly active and usually have a resting heart rate between 60 and 65 but at the moment it's around 80 to 85. I also feel a little as you do when you're frightened. Would anyone be concerned about this or would you just treat it as a glitch?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That sounds like anxiety. Keep checking but try to relax as best you can. If it persists consult your GP. Hope it passes soon, best of luck.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A raise in heart rate without accompnying extercise can be caused by various things - anxiety, stress and illness among them. Ive got a fitbit on the tracks my HR - over the last week Ive had a rotton chest infection and my HR has gone up significantly. My normal resting HR is around 63 - its been higher this week at up to 76. similarly it normally dips into mid 50s overnight, but last night was the first time its gone there for a week which seems to tie in with fact that my temperature has finally gone back to normal.
Scared the bejesus out of me when it shot up so I consulted the fitbit forum and found that others have found HR goes up with infection.
Im also 60+ T2

Last edited:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Clase , I'm type 1 not type 2 so I hope you don't mind me responding with my own experience of an increased heart rate - there are of course various things that can cause this, and I would say, as @Guzzler has, that it could be a symptom of anxiety, or indeed could be a sign you're fighting off a bug.

I had a very fast resting heart rate (130bpm) when I was diagnosed with Graves thyrotoxicosis, which is a hyperthyroid condition. Hyperthyroid made everything about me go faster - I was like the Duracell bunny (and not in a good way - the Duracell bunny on acid, if you can imagine!).

I would recommend consulting your GP, and if you're having blood taken so they can look into what's going on, I would ask them to check your thyroid function.

Hugs!

Love Snapsy

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Thank you all for your comments. I knew I could rely on common sense help here!
It's lower today but still higher than usual so I think the best bet is to monitor it and see what happens over the next week then review the need for a doctor's appointment.
Best wishes to all!

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Hello. Yes. I take 500mg Metformin x4 per day and 1 Saxagliptin. The Metformin is a lower dose than before I cut the carbs and I also cut 4 Gliclazide too. I've been on Metformin for about 18 years though so nothing new..