Pumps - totally confused

lizgray46

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Everyone,

So I have had Type 1 for 41 years and am finally considering a pump, mainly because I am so **** tired of trying to control my BG levels.
I would ideally like a tubeless pump and am looking at the Cellnovo patch as the Omnipod is not available on the NHS in my health authority area.
Can anyone give me an honest but basic users opinion on what it is like? Is it the best tubeless pump around? Easy to use? Controls BG levels? Awkward? Clunky? Just what is general day to day using/wearing it like?
I would really appreciate any input of a users opinion rather than a salesman.
Thanks in advance

Reactions: himtoo

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don’t have a tubeless pump but I can honestly say getting a pump is the best thing I ever did.
My control is a lot better, my injection sites have no lumps now compared to before and I feel better in lots of ways. It was slightly awkward and clunky at first but you soon get used to it.

I’m looking at getting a tubeless pump when mine is up for renewal so would be interested to see what others think of them.

I’d go for it though if I were you. You’ll get one to trial before you commit so if you don’t like it you don’t have to keep it.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Stu_the_blue
D

Deleted Account

I too have a non-tubeless pump and would definitely recommend pumping.
It’s not easy always easy but with a little bit of thought, it reduces the peaks and troughs.

Tubeless seems like a good idea. I had no choice. However, I would not rule out tubey pumps. Mine is not much hassle. I tuck the tube (and the pump) away most of the time so it does not get caught on anything. I just remove it completely when I go swimming or have a shower or when I need to reduce my basal significantly.

leahkian

I used the medtronic pump and after about 2 1 hour lesson i found it easy to use you can get tangled up in bed if you toss and turn all night and the only issue i found was when i went to spain on a night if you sweat the sticky tape can come away from your skin and take the tube out of the body. I bought some medical tape and put extra on and it was fine apart from when you were taking the tape off as it takes the hair with it. Most of the pump suppliars will lend you a extra pump if you let them no in advance of you going away for nothing. The main thing is that you see what choices you have and also you can dissconect the pump when you go into the bath or for a swim

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@lizgray46 have you done a search for cellnovo in the top left hand corner search box? Have you done a Google search for reviews of cellnovo? I believe some user experiences aren't entirely positive and that's pretty apparent from Google. I think @IceLover uses a cellnovo.

I use an omnipod, which I love.

I have also used a Medtronic 640 and while I wasn't thrilled to be using a tubed pump and it did feel a bit clunkier and more awkward than the omnipod it was really absolutely fine to be wearing a tubed pump, not a problem to wear when exercising in a pump belt, not a problem to wear at night just chucked in the bed to follow me.

You say you health authority don't do omnipod. I'm not entirely convinced that's how it works. Pump funding comes from your CCG. The CCG will fund which ever pump based on clinical recommendation and the average annual cost of omnipod is basically equal to the cost of a tubed pump. The choice of pump is determined by what pumps are offered by the hospital. So if omnipod is not offered by the hospital you are attending you could transfer to another hospital where it is and your CCG should fund the omnipod through them. You might want to get in touch with www.inputdiabetes.org for clarity on this.

tircoed

The Hospital i went to did not do the Omnipod they could not offer it because they said no Diabetic Nurse was not trained with this pump so I contacted Omnipod direct to find out which was the nearest hospital to me that did the Omnipod and then transferred to that hospital.I have been on the pump 1 year it is amazing.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @lizgray46
I also was late to pumping relative to diagnosis -- 45 years so far -- 2 years pumping
I can honestly say it is the greatest change I have been involved with as D.

I am on an omnipod -- you might try ringing their customer service -- explain you are looking for a hospital near you that does omnipod , I am sure they will be able to point you in the right direction.
0800 092 6787 Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm

Reactions: tircoed

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I’ve been using the Cellnovo pump for nearly a year. I changed from Omnipod for a variety of reasons one important one for me is the ability to read the Cellnovo handset screen in bright light which I was unable to do with either the Omnipod or the Animas Vibe tubed pump I have also used.
However there have been many issues with the system not least of which has been the number of handsets which have been replaced (now on number 5!) and problems with the cartridges which fit into the pump. On the positive side when it works well it is brilliant and you can also easily remove the pump if required which you are unable to do with the Omnipod without having to replace the pod. The customer service department is very good.
If you have any questions about the system I would be happy to try to answer them for you.
Good luck with your attempt to get onto a pump, it’s been the best decision I have made regarding my diabetes treatment.
Regards

lizgray46

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@WHM and @himtoo I really appreciate your responses and the info. I think I am more drawn to the omnipod so will give them a call on Monday. Thank you @himtoo for the number! 45 years......I hope you are well......that applies to everyone by the way :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
haha @lizgray46 :D
you are not far behind me -- I think we both qualify as "D veterans" :D:D

I really hope you are successful in pursuit of pumping.
I can remember I was originally offered a pump back in 2002 , but at the time I thought why fix something that isn't broken -- my control was very good but.................... looking back to 2014 when offered a pump again I really realised just how much work I put into getting the good control on MDI -- almost a sort of devoted slave ( if that makes sense )

I still put a lot of work into pumping and I basal test every other month ( every 6-8 weeks) just to make sure basal settings on the pump are keeping me flat

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What sort of criteria do you have to meet to actually be offered a pump? Im only 5 months into my diagnosis so just a newby.

lizgray46

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What sort of criteria do you have to meet to actually be offered a pump? Im only 5 months into my diagnosis so just a newby.
Not sure to be honest. My nurse keeps mentioning it to me as my BG's fluctuate so much no matter how hard I try to stabilise them and I've got Retinopathy. Levemir and Apidra have made a massive difference though
I get the feeling though that the sooner you go on a pump the better.

Reactions: Jc3131

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It's all set out here - http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/nhs-funding-pump/

Most clinics will want you to have done DAFNE or the local equivalent carb counting course first, and they aren't usually offered in the first 12 months old diagnosis because honeymooning makes getting an insulin to carb ratio tricky. So unlikely to get a pump in the first 12 months of diagnosis as an adult, unless there are special circumstances. But they do seem quite keen to get newly diagnosed children on pumps. But in children the honeymoon period is unlikely to be long or strong (their immune systems are just too efficient at killing off the beta cells) and they can really benefit from the much smaller insulin dose increments available via a pump if their on very small doses.

Reactions: Jc3131 and himtoo

Stu_the_blue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been on a pump for 4 years and it’s so much better , I’m on an Animas pump but just got told they are pulling out of the market soon

Reactions: lizgray46