Keep going low during the night - help!

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All

I have found that alot of the time I am dropping low during the night. I go to bed with levels above 6.5 but seem to drop low about 1 or 2 hours after falling asleep.

I’ve tried lowering my basal insulin but then i am struggling to stay in range during the day even when i’ve lowered it by just 1 unit.

Im not really sure what to do next so any advise would be really appreciated.

I carb count with novorapid and take Lantus at 10pm every night.

Thanks!

Reactions: himtoo
D

Deleted Account

I found myself in a similar situation some time ago.
I raised my BG before bed to about 8.0.
Initially, I was uncomfortable with going to bed so high but gave it a go and it worked.
My next option was to split my Lantus. I never tried this but I know some people do.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi How about splitting your Lantus so you give less at nightime and more across the day. Despite what the manufacturers say the basal profile is not a flat line and perhaps your dose is most active just when you least need or want a low.

Reactions: slaxx and himtoo

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nurse advised me never to go bed with lower than 7 and I usually waken around 6am just below 7 haven taken 10 lantos before bedtime

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally around 3 hours before bed, i normally go to bed between 10.30 and 11.30
The DIA of Novorapid (or simply how long it will stay active in your system) is 3-5 hours. If you're at the upper end of that range, then too much bolus insulin in that injection before bed could be the cause of your hypos.

If I were in your position, I'd try a little less insulin with whatever you're eating before bed. It's possible that you might have a different I:C ratio in the evening (less insulin for the amount of carbs you're eating) than you do for the rest of the day. i.e. 1:12 or 1:15 instead of 1:10, for example.

All trial and error though :) Please do let us know how you get on!

Reactions: slaxx and himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @Tubzi
a few thoughts to have a think about

changing the timing of your lantus -- I used to take it at 6pm -- still had a few nocturnal hypos but that was more to do with not lowering my dose enough

as @GrantGam says -- look at your I:C ratio for your evening meal -- that could be a factor

have you discussed these issues with your DSN ?? always a good back up plan -- she may be able to see something in your log book that shows a pattern we can't see from your topic post.

do let us know how you are progressing
( really want you to get this solved !!!!!! )

all the best !
x

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Consultant moved my lantus to morning instead of bedtime because I kept going low overnight. Made a massive difference. I don't think I was always fully waking up with the hypos and I have quite a surge in BG around 5am so I'd get up feeling hungover.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another option is to try changing your basal insulin. I found Levemir to be much more consistent than Lantus. Perhaps have a chat about it with your diabetes nurse or consultant.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nurse advised me never to go bed with lower than 7 and I usually waken around 6am just below 7 haven taken 10 lantos before bedtime
my nurse told me same thing i take 10 lantus b4 bed sometimes i have bgs of about 11 going to bed and wake up around 5-6 then i can go to bed round 7-8 and still wake up at 5-6 so confusing sometimes :arghh:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take my Lantus when I get up. Something about injecting 25U of insulin and going to bed never made sense to me. I'll PM you about what I also do at night to avoid getting low.

S

slaxx

Endo gave me 14u Lantus in the morning and 3-3-2u Apidra for the day. No hypo at night but more in the mornings pre-breakfast. Told me to change to 12u Lantus, same sched, and my BG went haywire.
Based on this (tho i know we all react different, so do take note of your swings) i would think it's your bolus that's giving you hypos, unless you make up for the hypo by taking something high in sugar in large quantity (+ - thing, balancing intake and burn of sugar). Try lesser units of bolus and test before sleep + in the mornings pre-breakfast. I would suggest to jump even 4units back, then see how high your BG goes, and adjust accordingly.

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve split my lantus. Used to take 26u at 10pm, now im taking 11u at 10pm and 15u at 10am.
It seems to be working okay so far, if it starts going wrong then i’ll try doing my lantus in the morning instead of before bed.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Tubzi glzd to hear it's working so far, keep us posted on how you get on.

msamson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All

I have found that alot of the time I am dropping low during the night. I go to bed with levels above 6.5 but seem to drop low about 1 or 2 hours after falling asleep.

I’ve tried lowering my basal insulin but then i am struggling to stay in range during the day even when i’ve lowered it by just 1 unit.

Im not really sure what to do next so any advise would be really appreciated.

I carb count with novorapid and take Lantus at 10pm every night.

Thanks!

Hi. Try eating a digestive or two (depending on how low you drop) before retiring. I know its a pain, but set your alarm for an hour or two after you normally fall asleep so that you can monitor your bs. Sorry if that sounds too obvious.

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always find sometimes I am more active of certain evenings so I need to take into account my blood sugars may dip more during the night.

I tend to have a few more carbs before bed, good to hear your improving.

Besty W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My glucose was dropping in the night also, I found this during a free trial with a libre, after discussions with my DSN, we initially reduced my Glargine, however this didn’t solve the problem. She advised me to swap this insulin to first thing in the morning, since I’ve had no issue and my night time readings have been smooth and consistent