Travelling by plane

barb1

I am going on holiday soon and it is a long flight (approx 10 hrs). As I have reactive hypoglycaemia, I need to check my BS, especially with the sort of foods offered on long haul flights. Has anyone had problems taking a testing kit on the plane due to the lancets? Would I need a note from the GP?

D

Deleted Account

I frequently travel by plane, take needles and lancets with me and test during the flight.
I carry a letter from my doctor but have only had to show this once over the last 15 years - more than 100 flights.

My lancets have never been spotted by the x-ray: the only time I was pulled up by security (apart from when they were at very high alert) was when my metal insulin pen was spotted.

If I check in any luggage (I often fly with hand luggage only), I have a little bit of fun when I am asked if I have any sharp items: I hesitate after saying "yes" before I mention that I have diabetes after which the airline staff are visibly relieved that I can go through.

For any travel, I always ensure all my medical supplies are in my hand luggage in case my checked in case goes missing. I also carry twice as much as I need in case my return is delayed.

Some people recommend splitting your supplies with a fellow traveller. I have never done this. Partly because I am stupidly independent but also because I am not convinced my doctors note covers anyone else.

I hope you have a good trip.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going on holiday soon and it is a long flight (approx 10 hrs). As I have reactive hypoglycaemia, I need to check my BS, especially with the sort of foods offered on long haul flights. Has anyone had problems taking a testing kit on the plane due to the lancets? Would I need a note from the GP?

No problems whatsoever taking testing kit.

I have never travelled with any kind of GP letter. I don't (and never have taken) any diabetes meds). I've never been questioned, even though I have been through a number of pat-downs, and had my hand baggage searched several times (during periods of raised security levels).

Enjoy your holiday. Sounds like you're probably going to be somewhere nice and warm?

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@barb1, no need to worry at all!
Never had any problem to bring along testing kits, lancets, syringes, needles, insulin, what have you...
Neither in handbag carry-on or in the checked in luggage. I have not any document either from my GP. Never had one.
Never asked once to show any or been stopped in security control either due to all my diabetes gear in my bag.
I wish actually that there would be less 'hysteria' about this subject. Its a non-issue!

Don't let self-imposed misconceived restrictions limit you life adventure.
Go travel, see, explore and enjoy the world!

With my job I often have multiple flights each week, done so for last 10-15 years.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't rely on being able to eat nuts as a snack these days. Last few flights we have been asked not to consume nuts due to someone with a nut allergy. Turned out it was a member of crew who had the allergy!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi @barb1
All the advice above is really good and you won't have a problem if you carry the doctors note and your testing kit in your hand luggage.

But the best bit of advice I would give you is not to touch the food that these flights dole out. It is mainly processed junk food. Getting a low carb meal you would have to order beforehand, which I don't think they do on other than VIP travel.

You can carry food on to planes, so prepare yourself a nice salad or something that will not compromise your blood levels.

I think the trauma of air travel these days means you will want to keep your levels as much in control as possible. The other thing is plenty of water. Dehydration is not unusual travelling. Be prepared for all eventualities, such as delays and having enough to snack on for such a long day as travelling.
I now usually fast on the day I travel, only eat when I want to.

Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy the local cuisine especially the low carb varieties.

Best wishes

Aestire

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I have always brought mine onto planes. They even allow me to bring my artificial sweetener. They really can't tell you no given it's for your health. I've even brought snacks in my bag and just explained that I'm on a strict diet that isn't supported by their company's dietary options. They just swabbed my stuff to make sure it wasn't c4 stuffed into sugar packets.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've travelled twice by plane this year and it's never been an issue. My hospital diabetes team did me a letter for free stating I need all supplies with me on the plane in cabin luggage. I put this and a copy of my most recent prescription with all my diabetes supplies for the xray scanner. It takes up a whole box but spreading it out makes it easier to look at. It's never caused a bother. With all my other hand luggage I usually take up 3 crates!
Check with your airline as some allow an extra item of handluggage for carrying medical supplies. Might be useful if you take along bulky food.