Do I Have a Future ?

varma21345

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, All. How are you today and how's the sweet life going on for you guys. Myself , i am diagnosed with T2 1.5 years ago and currently I am 26 and since diagnosis all my perceptions started changing towards every aspect of life. lately I feel like i will be never able to fulfill my dreams and Ambitions . I simply destroyed my self and it is effecting my parents even more. I am from India and doing my masters in Germany and had a very beautiful perception of my future making everyone happy around me . But diabetes changes it all I cannot even make myself or my parents happy they are more than worried and it is making me afraid to visit them. My life is about start but diabetes would restrict from every front to make me worthless day by day and as days are passing by i am getting away from people snapping at everyone . I stopped interacting with people totally and i have a worst fear being diabetic would never end you in a relationship either. All friends and family love me immensely and worry alot even if i share the minimal details so , i stopped doing it also. i found this place to find answers to some questions but i find it more than it says. I feel this is the place I can put my mind out in open and express my fears and also hope i could find some good friends who could take my condition normally and treat me as an average Human .

Have a great time ahead guys
Thank you for providing this space to me.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, All. How are you today and how's the sweet life going on for you guys. Myself , i am diagnosed with T2 1.5 years ago and currently I am 26 and since diagnosis all my perceptions started changing towards every aspect of life. lately I feel like i will be never able to fulfill my dreams and Ambitions . I simply destroyed my self and it is effecting my parents even more. I am from India and doing my masters in Germany and had a very beautiful perception of my future making everyone happy around me . But diabetes changes it all I cannot even make myself or my parents happy they are more than worried and it is making me afraid to visit them. My life is about start but diabetes would restrict from every front to make me worthless day by day and as days are passing by i am getting away from people snapping at everyone . I stopped interacting with people totally and i have a worst fear being diabetic would never end you in a relationship either. All friends and family love me immensely and worry alot even if i share the minimal details so , i stopped doing it also. i found this place to find answers to some questions but i find it more than it says. I feel this is the place I can put my mind out in open and express my fears and also hope i could find some good friends who could take my condition normally and treat me as an average Human .

welcome here varma21345

hello dear it seems to me that you are depressed, and figthing to keep up with your desease.. Of cause you have a future !!!

all of us in here fight with diabetes in one way or the other type 1 or type 2 or one of the more rare variants. This is a great place to be when we have this disease, here you can share your journey with others that do understand , with a lot of people that are close to being experts in how to cope.. some really are, you can learn so much in here, among which is how to control your type 2 diabetes by changing the way you eat to a low carb eating style, by doing a bit more movement daily .. and it is actually to most type 2 sufferers possible to get blood glucose down into a non-diabetic level, and if you learn to do that by changing your food choices, then maybe your disease will not progress further and you can live a healthy and energetic life and enjoy your youth and concentrate on your education and smile again.

by the way many diabetes sufferers do become depressed and do isolate themselves and that is an evil down-drived spiral.

stay in this forum ask more questions and learn slowly to cope much better and know there really is a reason to again become optimistic..
I myself have learned more of type 2 diabetes in this forum than anywhere else. and if I have a down period people are so supportive in here

Reactions: Salvia

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I do not think it's worth your concern there who is the worst of us

Reactions: Freema

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Varma
Of course your life is not over because you have been diagnosed with t2 diabetes. It is a medical condition and requires life style adjustments to manage but I would say that as medical conditions go ours is amongst the most straightforward to manage.
Yet clearly you do feel as you say you do. I am not disputing or belittling that. My words are merely seeking to reassure and comfort you.
Feel free to post and express whatever specific fears and concerns or even questions you may have so that others may address them.
In the meantime, I am tagging @daisy1 for her to post the useful introductory information given out to new members. Read this and ask about anything you need more explanation on.
Hopefully you will soon feel on top of things and see that you do not have so much to fear.
The key is getting your glucose levels under control. Mood swings and even short temper and snapping are symptoms of elevated sugars!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @varma21345 ,

There is a future! There are many on here living as a positive "beacon", proving a future with diabetes is possible.

Life? Stay healthy, do what makes you happy & those around you will reflect happiness back, like your image in a mirror.

Kind regards.

J>

Reactions: TIANDB and pavlosn

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Welcome @varma21345

You say you are T2 are you on any medication?

Your life isnt over because of diabetes... its a different life but believe me you can still be a positive contributor to the world.

I've been T1 for 30+ years and have had ups and downs and sometimes have absolutely felt awful about my life and diabetes...

However, these are mere glitches in my life.. I am a positive contributor and its reminding myself of that... and also actually listening to words from other people and not casting those words aside when people say they love me, they admire me, how good I am, how I have helped raise awareness and activities in communities etc. Sure, I'm not a big money earner but I find enormous benefit to my own wellbeing from lustening to people and believing them when they say lovely things that I should actually be proud of.

You are studying for a masters, (wow!!). You say all friends and family love you... well, that is rare too!! Most people that I know have fallen out with some friend or family member.

If you can seek help to lift your mood, it does help... honest. I have had help and it can make you realise that you are still a lovely, beautiful human...

Reactions: TIANDB

varma21345

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all . your words mean a lot to me . Till now i am never on meds as i am diagnosed pre diabetic and my last test result was 8.8 and then my doctor said medicine is mandatory from now ( 1000 mg per day) . But i am totally opposed with the idea of medication and started intermittent fasting(23: 1) in combination with LCHF and my numbers lowered straight on day one to normal levels which i have not seen since diagnosis but after couple of days my numbers went down even below which started to make me alarmed and I looked back at this forum to find answers for this . I got very good answers and went scrolling through the forum and found this place.

yes i am depressed because of this numbers game mainly till now all my goal was to lower my numbers and all of the sudden i must again increase my numbers and constantly maintaining them at a specific range would be very hard to imagine. Current numbers are 75 fasting and 80 after 2 hours of eating. No insulin is being produced as per my view . Need to make some adjustments in diet.

Thanks once again for all the positive inputs and i wish you all a very healthy life ahead.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks all . your words mean a lot to me . Till now i am never on meds as i am diagnosed pre diabetic and my last test result was 8.8 and then my doctor said medicine is mandatory from now ( 1000 mg per day) . But i am totally opposed with the idea of medication and started intermittent fasting(23: 1) in combination with LCHF and my numbers lowered straight on day one to normal levels which i have not seen since diagnosis but after couple of days my numbers went down even below which started to make me alarmed and I looked back at this forum to find answers for this . I got very good answers and went scrolling through the forum and found this place.

yes i am depressed because of this numbers game mainly till now all my goal was to lower my numbers and all of the sudden i must again increase my numbers and constantly maintaining them at a specific range would be very hard to imagine. Current numbers are 75 fasting and 80 after 2 hours of eating. No insulin is being produced as per my view . Need to make some adjustments in diet.

Thanks once again for all the positive inputs and i wish you all a very healthy life ahead.

Good to hear that you have lowered levels without meds... thats another really great positive for you..

Balancing foods is key and ensuring you get only the vitamins you need... if you have good blood counts for white cells etc and b12, folate,d3 besides your diabetes....it is also important that you do not overdo vitamins too.

Reactions: varma21345

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just coming to one year from diagnosis. I take no medication. I do not fast - in fact I need to avoid it as it makes my BG drop low enough in the late afternoons for me to feel very tired. I eat in the mornings, with a small amount of carbs, as that is best for me. Later in the day I eat again, with more carbs as they have less impact in the evening.
As far as I can tell all my numbers for diabetes are normal.
Diabetes has no impact on my life at all - I do not need any special foods, all I need I buy in local shops. It is what I do not eat which is the key to my success, and I find the low carb lifestyle very easy, and the meals enjoyable to eat.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@varma21345

Hello Varma and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask questions if you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You have also gained more positives here from your post. We recognise struggles and always try to help.

One thing I found that really helped me in my dark days of cancer diagnosis and treatment was to get a pad of post it notes designed in a heart shape and every Friday I wrote a positive sentence on it from the week before... I still do it. I stick them all on my hallway mirror.

It helps to see where I have been and how far I have come. And never a moan or groan. Just picked one happy thought a week from the deep black tunnel I was in.... and from it all... I amin a hugely better place now.

I also take mindful moments when I do things... and this helps me to think about other things than myself and my health.. and play wordless music as it doesnt trigger any sad thoughts, just relaxing ones.

Positives do have to be thought about each day otherwise we can think we are a burden or useless.. but we aren't.

Reactions: Salvia

varma21345

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just coming to one year from diagnosis. I take no medication. I do not fast - in fact I need to avoid it as it makes my BG drop low enough in the late afternoons for me to feel very tired. I eat in the mornings, with a small amount of carbs, as that is best for me. Later in the day I eat again, with more carbs as they have less impact in the evening.
As far as I can tell all my numbers for diabetes are normal.
Diabetes has no impact on my life at all - I do not need any special foods, all I need I buy in local shops. It is what I do not eat which is the key to my success, and I find the low carb lifestyle very easy, and the meals enjoyable to eat.

Hi, i also feel the same with Fasting . My BMI is 20 but i doubt my liver has stored fat and glucose is all over the body so, I am following lchf and Intermittent fasting to get rid of them atleast for 4 weeks. Can you share your carbs intake count and if possible the foods in details.

Thanks very much in advance

varma21345

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have also gained more positives here from your post. We recognise struggles and always try to help.

One thing I found that really helped me in my dark days of cancer diagnosis and treatment was to get a pad of post it notes designed in a heart shape and every Friday I wrote a positive sentence on it from the week before... I still do it. I stick them all on my hallway mirror.

It helps to see where I have been and how far I have come. And never a moan or groan. Just picked one happy thought a week from the deep black tunnel I was in.... and from it all... I amin a hugely better place now.

I also take mindful moments when I do things... and this helps me to think about other things than myself and my health.. and play wordless music as it doesnt trigger any sad thoughts, just relaxing ones.

Positives do have to be thought about each day otherwise we can think we are a burden or useless.. but we aren't.

Thanks for the advice and at present stage of my life i am too busy writing my Thesis and soon after I need to find a job and many other goals to acheive leaving me with little or no time and I am developing a lot of stress on top of this . so, really cannot work on the advice.I need to find quicker ways to reduce my stress instead .

Have a great day ahead.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Five minutes before sleep just taking your mind out of everything and trying a bit of mindfulness?

Even when eating, you can be mindful... taking your mind off the day and thinking of the texture and smell and really slow rasting and chewing food..

It doesnt have to be big time spans of anything..

Just practice even saying looking at a gas fire flame or real flame and thinking of its colour, its size etc instead of just accepting its a fire.. just a few minutes thoughts away from reality when walking?? Look at buildings and marvel how they were built etc..

A few minutes every now and again can do marvels..
At least it has for me..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, i also feel the same with Fasting . My BMI is 20 but i doubt my liver has stored fat and glucose is all over the body so, I am following lchf and Intermittent fasting to get rid of them atleast for 4 weeks. Can you share your carbs intake count and if possible the foods in details.
Thanks very much in advance
I have simply followed the Atkins diet as set out in Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution - I have the 2002 edition. It is full of menus and recipes and tells you how to go from 20gm of carb a day up to whatever you can cope with in easy stages. I added in my blood glucose readings, getting down to below 8mmol/l seemed to be the key. Once I had dropped down to that level I then saw my numbers continue to go down without changing what I ate.