Jennifer's Update Thread

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the wrist weights are a great idea. They will add to your work but not put too much pressure on joints. Do you swim?

JenniferG

I think the wrist weights are a great idea. They will add to your work but not put too much pressure on joints. Do you swim?
No I don't swim, can't afford to go to a pool. The DeskCycle is great though allowing me to get some nice interval cardio with zero impact :). It's been bringing now my blood glucose 20-31 mg/dL [1.1-1.7 mmol/L] every time, after 20 min workout.

Here's a report I wrote on it:
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum...20-mins-virtually-effortless-interval-cardio/

Last edited:

JenniferG

Saturday Morning Weekly Update (10/14/2017)

Got over the plateau I've had for the past couple weeks, which I think was water retention due to both excessive sodium intake as well as temporarily having to go back on basal insulin, which retains sodium/water itself.

This past week has been my best week yet. It's the first week where I have not injected even one unit of insulin. Been off insulin for nine days straight now.

I also on average have lost 4.7 lbs [2.13 kg] this week.

Averages this past week:
Weight: 356.2 lbs [161.57 kg]
Glucose: 91 mg/dL [5.04 mmol/L]
Fasting glucose: 92 mg/dL [5.1 mmol/L]
Macronutrients: 53g total carbs, 14g fiber, 39g net carbs, 104g protein, 168g fat, 2109 calories
Overnight Fasting Hours: 11
Resting Pulse: 74
Sleep: 6 hours
Blood pressure: 115/71

Last edited:

JenniferG

Saturday Morning Weekly Update (11/04/2017)

I've lost 11.4 lbs (5.2 kg) in the past 8 days, since starting my new dietary plan. My actual weight today was the lowest I've seen it in almost 20 years: 346.4 lbs. (157kg)

94 lbs (42.6 kg) lost total.

My average daily macronutrient intake for past 8 days has been:
36g total carbs, 12g fiber, 24g net carbs, 84g protein
Average daily overnight fasting hours (between dinner and breakfast) was 13.3 hours.
(Dinners were the meals lightest in protein, to help improve the overnight fast -- usually a salad.)
I eat a light protein based snack (e.g. a hard-boiled egg or an oz of cheese) between breakfast/lunch & lunch/dinner, to help balance out protein for the day.

For the past week my average fasting blood glucose has been 91 mg/dL (5.04 mmol/L) and average fasting blood ketones (BHB) has been 1.1 mmol/L. Average overall daily blood glucose was 98 mg/dL (5.43 mmol/L). I've been off insulin the entire week.

I love keto.

Last edited:

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi jennifer, good to hear from you. I am following your story and look forward to your updates. How is the gout?

And still no insulin? That is impressive. Are you health care team with you on this? I seem to remember that you are in the usa? Here in the uk it seems that insulin users (t2d) have a very mixed response when they try and atop insulin. I dont inject so have no personal experience but the forum has a few posts about it.

I am very interested in you sofacycle!!! Like the idea a lot. You have inspired me to go look at some. Have a great week.
Lynx

Reactions: JenniferG

JenniferG

Hi Lynx, my gout is much better now that I've been adjusting the allopurionol dose each day with a given level of uric acid in my blood. I have a decent meter (Easy Touch from Indonesia). The strips for it come in a canister of 25 for $14.50. So this makes the strips cost about $0.58 a piece. I test twice per day, fasting & PM -- if uric acid level is a little higher than normal in the PM then I take a little extra allopurinol based on the result.

Regarding insulin, just over 2 months ago I was injecting about 80 units per day, for several months. Then all of a sudden I started waking up around 70 mg/dL [3.9 mmol/L].. So I started titrating the doses of basal insulin down accordingly. Within a one week period that went from 80 units per day down to 30 units per day. A few days after that I had to titrate down to 24 units.

I was on 24 units per day for several weeks until all of a sudden in one week I had to titrate down that 24 units to zero units. I was then waking around 85 mg/dL [4.7 mmol/L] without any insulin at all.

Then I got ill a couple weeks back and had to temporairly go back on basal insulin becasue my pancreas could not keep up with the stress (cortisol/liver dumps) due to illness.

However, now I have been off insulin again for 8 days. I woke with 99 mg/dL [5.5 mmol/L] this morning. If it gets any higher I might consider going on a small dose of basal insulin again in the near future.

Reactions: Debmcgee

JenniferG

This morning was a record breaking morning for me!

My fasting blood glucose was : 79 mg/dL (4.38 mmol/L) !!
Ketones: BHB 1.6 [BAC% 0.058; Ketonix 2015: 62].

This is the best FBG I’ve ever recorded in my entire life without the assistance of injected insulin. Last record without insulin was 85 mg/dL (4.71 mmol/L). [I’ve been off insulin for 9 days now – just a little over 2 months ago I was injecting 80 units per day to achieve normal blood glucose levels, even while on LCHF!]

Also, note the heavier state of nutritional ketosis at 1.6 BHB -- usually around 1.1 mmol/L. The BAC meter reading was off the charts… think that was a record too at 0.058% (wow I better not drive as ketones my impair my ability to do so – snicker).

Things I did differently yesterday which might of affected today’s numbers:

1. I went to bed at 10 PM; usually it’s always around midnight.
  2. I actually got a decent amount of sleep in one stretch today compared to other recent days: 6 1/2 hours.
  3. My dinner was even lighter on the protein: only 4.9 grams – usually it’s more like 10g. (It was a green salad topped with olive oil & vinegar, without any ham, just feta.)
  4. I did two sessions of DeskCycle yesterday which lowered my numbers for most of the day - 80’s. I had taken a break, for about 2 1/2 weeks, because it didn’t seem to be helping when I was ill due to inflammation from gouty arthritis. Perhaps my muscles are more insulin sensitive still, since that activity yesterday and could explain soaking up the blood glucose overnight.
Also, I’ve lost 13 lbs (5.9 kg) in the past 11 days while on new keto diet plan. (30g carbs, 80g protein, 12-14 hours overnight fast).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark_1

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
That weight loss is FANTASTIC!

Sorry about your feet. Can i ask what shoes you are wearing for the walking. The older i get, the more vital i find arch support. I've been buying orthotic inserts (bought at local chemists, then online) for a few years, because they make such a massive difference to pain levels after walking and standing. I used to have pain every step. Now i only get it after prolonged standing. Walking is fine - but only with the arch support.

Interestingly, those arch supports seem to have also improved lower back pain, which was an added bonus. :D

I also do some calf stretching exercises, which help a lot, but since your problem is metatarsalgia and mine is/was plantar fasciitis, those won't be relevant :)
I had plantar fascitis for a very long time and had physio for it which didn't do anything . I was then sent to see a podiatrist who recommended :fitflops: I find them really comfortable and now don't wear any other make of footwear. I have several pairs of boots, loafers, clogs and numerous pairs of toe thong sandals. I really can't recommend them enough...and no I don't work for the company!