What about when I am old?

joelcam

Hi all,

Anyone else ever got a bit worried about what it will be like being a T1 in old age? I have this vision of me being old, frail and unable to do injections properly etc.

I guess I'll have my family around and if it gets to the extent where I cannot do my own injections I probably won't be able to wipe my own *ss either so maybe I needn't worry!

Just a thought.

JC

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
You're obviously not thinking that there will be a cure or artificial pancreas and getting old might just mean getting old. When you consider what has changed in the last 20 years you might need to consider the future in a different light. Getting to old age is the challenge not what happens once you get there.

yipster29

Does bother me at times but I don't let it get to me if possible!

I just try to keep control good and have a healthy lifestyle as then I figure I'm giving myself the best chance!

I figure there's plenty of non-diabetics who are less healthy than a lot of us and some get health problems and some don't!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
yipster29 said:
Does bother me at times but I don't let it get to me if possible!

I just try to keep control good and have a healthy lifestyle as then I figure I'm giving myself the best chance!

I figure there's plenty of non-diabetics who are less healthy than a lot of us and some get health problems and some don't!

Think yipster is spot-on with the above, try not to worry about it too much Joelcam as no-one knows what the future holds, but looking after yourself now will undoubtedly go a long way in how you will cope in your old age.

Nigel

C

catherinecherub

There is only one alternative to old age joelcam. :(
Don't focus on the negatives about old age as there are plenty of older people who have an amazing life.

sugar2

Hi,

i am too busy in teh here and now to think about that far in teh future!

now you have asked though, I kind of imagine, that if I lose control of my marbles, then there will be the technology to control my diabetes remotely...iie, hopefully my cgm will talk to my pump, and give my the right amount of insulin etc.

TheSparkyPony

If I ever make it to old age :shock: at this rate it's looking unlikely, but like everyone else says, we've come a long way from T1 treatment 20/30/40 years ago so chance are there will be all sorts of new treatments and maybe even a cure :)

pavmas

I dont want to live to be old, they stick you in a nursing home where you have people on min wage taking their temper out on you, they feed you slops and heaven forbid you have a stroke you are at their mercy.
Im 51 and all my family are up and doing well for themselves so Ive reached what I set out to do, so if I reach 60 I will be quite happy and no doubt when I reach 60 I will want to reach 70 and then 80, 90 , 100 and then 200.

hallii

Look, I am 67 and to you I might SEEM old, but wait until you get here, then 67 is not that old, there are some much older than me. I look upon them as old, and give up my seat on the bus for them :) .

H