Testing

Annewalks

Sounds like you are doing the right thing anyway and I realise that you are new to all of this..
I'm sorry if I come across a bit abruptly but I look on Type 2 as quite a serious condition that can have some very nasty outcomes so want to avoid those myself and hopefully help others do the same. I'm a low carb evangelist because I think its great and has worked really well for me and quite a few others on the forum.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been getting gd fasting bg, then eating & testing 2hrs later most are in range. Today I didn’t eat till bit later after fasting bg, so tested again & was shocked by the bg before eating
It could just be a delayed dawn phenomenon I would suggest monitoring the situation and seeing what happens over the next few days. Is there any chance you could change the timing of taking your tablets just to see if they are having an effect.. say moving to the evening just as an experiment?

Annewalks

I totally realise how serious this is and am going to do all I can to control. I walk 3 miles every morning and am determined to control as best I can. Hoping my hbc1a of 58 will be reduced significantly when I go back mid Jan

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unfortunately I need to take am. before any food or acid is awful all day. But will do fasting & extra bg before breakfast

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally realise how serious this is and am going to do all I can to control. I walk 3 miles every morning and am determined to control as best I can. Hoping my hbc1a of 58 will be reduced significantly when I go back mid Jan
Sounds like you are doing everything right.. keep it up and you should get the results you're after. It helped me no end.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been getting gd fasting bg, then eating & testing 2hrs later most are in range. Today I didn’t eat till bit later after fasting bg, so tested again & was shocked by the bg before eating
Are you taking the lansoprazole because you suffer from reflux? I used to have this problem quite badly. In August I began slowly lowering my carb intake, and gradually improving my blood glucose levels, though like you I had lots of disappointments. I had no idea that eating less carbs might help my reflux, but I suddenly realised that I had not experienced it for weeks. I have packets of Rennies all over the house, in my handbag, in my gym bag, in the bathroom ready for a sudden attack - and I haven't taken one since I don't know when. This despite the fact that at the start I was still eating a lot of carbs (though much less than before). So I think you can hope that even if your blood glucose is not yet controlled as well as you would like, good things may already be happening in response to your efforts.

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suffer from acid reflux, worse since having 4 opperations. Originally on omerprazole but was changed to lansoperazole when put on chlopidogrel for suspected tia (scans show no recent bleed still waiting for consultant app for answers).

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you taking the lansoprazole because you suffer from reflux? I used to have this problem quite badly. In August I began slowly lowering my carb intake, and gradually improving my blood glucose levels, though like you I had lots of disappointments. I had no idea that eating less carbs might help my reflux, but I suddenly realised that I had not experienced it for weeks. I have packets of Rennies all over the house, in my handbag, in my gym bag, in the bathroom ready for a sudden attack - and I haven't taken one since I don't know when. This despite the fact that at the start I was still eating a lot of carbs (though much less than before). So I think you can hope that even if your blood glucose is not yet controlled as well as you would like, good things may already be happening in response to your efforts.

Me too! I have boxes and boxes of Tums everywhere, because I had such problems after my gallbladder surgery. Couldn't eat after 6:30pm and everything. Then went low carb in January, and no more Tums!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too! I have boxes and boxes of Tums everywhere, because I had such problems after my gallbladder surgery. Couldn't eat after 6:30pm and everything. Then went low carb in January, and no more Tums!
That's fascinating! Yes, I gave up eating dinner in the evening completely, and brassicas gave me terrible bloating at any time of day, so I had more or less given up on them too. Now I can even eat cauliflower in the evening!!! I keep forgetting to do so, as I'm conditioned to think I can't.

I forgot to mention that my knees have become a lot less stiff and in general I am slightly more supple already. I am hoping that in time my gastroparesis will reverse. It took Dr Bernstein's many years, but perhaps I'll be luckier. Also, I take Flecainide to prevent attacks of vagal paroxysmal AF so I am hoping low carb will help soothe if not cure my vagal nerve, which I think may have been also implicated in my digestive problems. Really, no end to the possible benefits.

Reactions: KitSileya