Test Strips

andrewa

I recently (on the doctors orders) stared testing myself more regularly. I have been doing this and have been at times alarmed at readings of, on average, 12 -15. Having not tested regularly for some time I used my test strips that have been sitting in the cupboard for around 8 months.
I ran out and got some new ones and the first two readings have been around 7.
Is it likely that the old strips had passed their best and were not giving accurate readings?

Thanks for any advice
Andrew

sorefinger

Dislikes
people who upset me
if there past the use by date the meter wont let you use them anyway... :mrgreen:

and make sure you wash your hands before you test or the readings will be higher than it should be

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What meter do you use? The one I use says to calibrate it every time you start a new lot of strips, or if you get unexpected readings, so you can check if it is working ok or not. the calibration solution is free from the manufacturer.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My Freestyle Lite doesn't need calibrating. If you suspect your strips, email thee supplier and ask them
Hana

andrewa

I use a Glucomen LX, I read the instructions and it does say test every time you start a new lot of strips. I've ordered some test solution and put a new battery in the meter. Hopefully I will now get an accurate reading!

andrewa

I got the testing solution and my meter is fine so interestingly my readings have gone down from 14's to around 7, hard to work out!

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
You should not use any strips left after the pot has been opened for three months .. read the blurb small print that comes with the test strips.