Type 2 BG after meal

batgirl2708

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

So I'm a bit confused.. It's my first day of testing religiously so please bare with haha.. had brunch earlier (bacon, scrambled eggs, mushrooms and a crumpet). Tested before the meal and sugar was 9.7 (not long had cuppa tea - maybe it was the milk?) anyway 2 hours after I test again and the levels are 7.9 and I think wow that's not bad at all. So I double check with a different finger 9.1.. not liking the difference between the 2 I go back to the first finger and test again.. 9.7 and then again with the same sample and its 10.4!!! I'm using the SD codefree. Is it the meter or is it me doing something wrong? Which reading do I go with and should I perhaps invest in a better meter?

So many questions I'm sorry.

Thank you - Zoe xx

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

So I'm a bit confused.. It's my first day of testing religiously so please bare with haha.. had brunch earlier (bacon, scrambled eggs, mushrooms and a crumpet). Tested before the meal and sugar was 9.7 (not long had cuppa tea - maybe it was the milk?) anyway 2 hours after I test again and the levels are 7.9 and I think wow that's not bad at all. So I double check with a different finger 9.1.. not liking the difference between the 2 I go back to the first finger and test again.. 9.7 and then again with the same sample and its 10.4!!! I'm using the SD codefree. Is it the meter or is it me doing something wrong? Which reading do I go with and should I perhaps invest in a better meter?

So many questions I'm sorry.

Thank you - Zoe xx
We have all been upset by meter variability/unreliability. The best thing is not to focus too much on any one reading, but look for trends. Do you get more 9s and 10s, or maybe just 7s over several days and meals? Regardless, I suspect you'll get lower readings if you can bring yourself to ditch the crumpets! You can probably see on the packet how many carbs each contains - it will be lots. Congratulations on having started testing, and good luck!

batgirl2708

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would quite easily ditch them but they were in the cupboard so I thought I would see what they did lol - being first day of testing properly I don't have any trends as such yet but will look out for them. Thank you @Alexandra100

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meters are not 100% accurate or consistent but the most common cause of large variations is contamination of your fingers. Wash and dry thoroughly before testing.

batgirl2708

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meters are not 100% accurate or consistent but the most common cause of large variations is contamination of your fingers. Wash and dry thoroughly before testing.
I did wash with soap and water before hand :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would quite easily ditch them but they were in the cupboard so I thought I would see what they did lol - being first day of testing properly I don't have any trends as such yet but will look out for them. Thank you @Alexandra100
Omg I ADORE crumpets. For years I avoided them because I didn't think my helathy eating plan could include melted butter. Now I have to avoid them because of their carbs. Sigh!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

batgirl2708

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah good shout - I think I will just go with the first reading I get from now on or else I will drive myself crazy lol.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are a couple of different aspects to testing and the strategies to employ based on the results
1] pre and post meal results give you an idea as to whether or not a specific food / food combination spikes your sugars or not - spikes are to be avoided. From your tests results, even the highest post meal result, the breakfast you had today had a minimal effect.If your starting BS had been lower and within range then there would be no problem
2j Overall control ( indicated by fasting BS, pre meal BS and random tests) - you want these to be within target at all times. Overall control for Type 2s in particular can be enhanced by lowering your total amount of carbs over a day - everyone differs in regard to how low they need to go, but starting at under 120g a day and working your way down until you see enough change is a good starting point

Reactions: batgirl2708

batgirl2708

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a couple of different aspacts to testing and the strategies to employ based on the results
1] pre and post meal results give you an idea as to whether or not a specific food / food combination spikes your sugars or not - from your tests results, the breakfast you had today had a minimal effect.If your starting BS had been lower and within range then there would be no problem
2j Overall control ( indicated by fasting BS, pre meal BS and random tests) - you want these to be within target at all times. Overall control for Type 2s in particular can be enhanced by lowering your total amount of carbs over a day - everyone differs in regard to how low they need to go, but starting at under 120g a day and working your way down until you see enough change is a good starting point
Thank you - That is really helpful :) xx

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm using the SD codefree. Is it the meter or is it me doing something wrong? Which reading do I go with and should I perhaps invest in a better meter?

I'd be interested if anyone has had a different experience but I've tried a few different meters and found the codefree meter performs just as well as others. The main difference being additional features such as bluetooth or cartridges instead of individual strips.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
We have all been upset by meter variability/unreliability. The best thing is not to focus too much on any one reading, but look for trends. Do you get more 9s and 10s, or maybe just 7s over several days and meals? Regardless, I suspect you'll get lower readings if you can bring yourself to ditch the crumpets! You can probably see on the packet how many carbs each contains - it will be lots. Congratulations on having started testing, and good luck!
I think you should be sure of the validity the test strips

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you should be sure of the validity the test strips
I don't understand. Do you mean my test strips may be expired or contaminated in some way? I am using two different meters, the strips are not time expired, and I am careful about keeping the containers shut and handling the strips as little as p;ossible, always with hands meticuously washed and dried. In fact never in my life have I had such clean hands as since starting this testing malarkey. I have previously participated in several threads where lots of people weighed in complaining about the innaccuracy of our home testing kits, or presented this as just a sad fact of life to be accepted. I am rather surprised at the different approach on this thread.

Reactions: Guzzler

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I don't understand. Do you mean my test strips may be expired or contaminated in some way? I am using two different meters, the strips are not time expired, and I am careful about keeping the containers shut and handling the strips as little as p;ossible, always with hands meticuously washed and dried. In fact never in my life have I had such clean hands as since starting this testing malarkey. I have previously participated in several threads where lots of people weighed in complaining about the innaccuracy of our home testing kits, or presented this as just a sad fact of life to be accepted. I am rather surprised at the different approach on this thread.
Expiry date becomes useless This is what I meant
Or not to use the box after opening it by six months makes it unusable