Camping......what to eat?

djembabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed type 2 April, diet controlled so far, an initial 3 stone loss on low carbs and low fat. Am holding there for now as need help for my next adventure please. Am the luckiest person on the planet I reckon.......am a Brit getting 6 weeks to jaunt off to Tasmania to camp! Will have car as too disabled with arthritis and fused spine to walk the trails, but wish to get into the wilds on my walking aids. Intend leaving shops behind for 6 days at a time, and will have several long wilderness bits I hope. Will only have a cool bag, could pop some ice in, and a single burner. Am too lazy to heat more than one pot of food or one kettle for supper.....so am looking for evening meal ideas that will store well, be easy to cook, and if possible avoid too many carbs. Have worked out other meals I can eat, and will have loads of salad, etc for first 2/3 days out. Weight not an issue as have car, so tins or anything to be recommended for simple meals please? many thanks

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any tinned meat and fish, jerky, boiled eggs, nuts, high cocoa content chocolate. Vacuum packed cheese and meats. Do you eat legumes? If you are able to transport tins, there’s a huge amount of low carb tinned stuff you can take.

D

Deleted member 308541

Not a good place to go camping of the beaten tracks of Tasmania with a disability.

I suggest you stick to the tourist spots, instead of waiting for the emergency services finding you out in the bush if you get in to trouble.

MangosteenElbow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not a fan of tinned foods but for camping or hiking here are some suggestions:
sausages - the small goods varieties - perfectly good without needing cold storage; adaptable as a snack on its own or cut up in a shakshuka (adapted for hiking: tin of tomato, sachet of tomato paste, prepared bag of dried herbs and spices, maybe a boiled egg); with so much easily carried fat in them, go for several different kinds
Speck
Tin of mackeral (or herring or sardines) - great for omega 3s
Parmasan or other very hard cheese - shave into cooking pot or nibble as is
Semi dried olives- good for salt
Nuts
Carrots
Small amount of dried beans, if you can plan to use them in a scheduled cooked pot.
Sauerkraut, maybe repackaged into several double sealed plastic bags
Tempeh
Dried haloumi
Feta

And the supplementary list for Brits travelling in Australia bush:
Vegemite
Kangaroo tails, preferably fresh - good tucker when thrown on the embers
At night before retiring, make a small diameter hole in the ground as deep as about arm's length; drop 5 spit gobules in it.In the morning reach down and collect the small red backed spiders that will have been attracted there overnight. These are harmless critters. Just throw a handfull of them on a skillet for a nutritious crunchy breakfast snack rich in omega 42s.

djembabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Any tinned meat and fish, jerky, boiled eggs, nuts, high cocoa content chocolate. Vacuum packed cheese and meats. Do you eat legumes? If you are able to transport tins, there’s a huge amount of low carb tinned stuff you can take.
Very reassuring list, thank you....tho I dislike eggs ....have never tried jerky.....excellent!

djembabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not a good place to go camping of the beaten tracks of Tasmania with a disability.

I suggest you stick to the tourist spots, instead of waiting for the emergency services finding you out in the bush if you get in to trouble.
Panic not Oh Wise One......unable to lug gear away from the car, so my 'in the wilderness' will be the likes of Narawntapu or a spot along Gordon River Rd..... a very big adventure for myself, but hopefully not involving anyone else! Appreciate the heads up though.....sometimes the scale of new places can escape us.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No recommendations here, but it sounds like a trip I would want to make! Have a wonderful time!

djembabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not a fan of tinned foods but for camping or hiking here are some suggestions:
sausages - the small goods varieties - perfectly good without needing cold storage; adaptable as a snack on its own or cut up in a shakshuka (adapted for hiking: tin of tomato, sachet of tomato paste, prepared bag of dried herbs and spices, maybe a boiled egg); with so much easily carried fat in them, go for several different kinds
Speck
Tin of mackeral (or herring or sardines) - great for omega 3s
Parmasan or other very hard cheese - shave into cooking pot or nibble as is
Semi dried olives- good for salt
Nuts
Carrots
Small amount of dried beans, if you can plan to use them in a scheduled cooked pot.
Sauerkraut, maybe repackaged into several double sealed plastic bags
Tempeh
Dried haloumi
Feta

And the supplementary list for Brits travelling in Australia bush:
Vegemite
Kangaroo tails, preferably fresh - good tucker when thrown on the embers
At night before retiring, make a small diameter hole in the ground as deep as about arm's length; drop 5 spit gobules in it.In the morning reach down and collect the small red backed spiders that will have been attracted there overnight. These are harmless critters. Just throw a handfull of them on a skillet for a nutritious crunchy breakfast snack rich in omega 42s.
ooh.....new foods for me to try, Tempeh, etc, thank you, had not realised how conservative my tastes were. However, have no plans that would need a shovel.....so may skip the live capture and stick to packages!

D

Deleted member 308541

Panic not Oh Wise One.

Tell the locals where you are going and listen to their advice, as they know the area better .

Some places you have to cart all of your rubbish out and that includes body waste as well.

As for the weather the last time I was in Tasmania (Hobart) it snowed on xmas day in the middle of summer. So keep a eye out for the weather forecasts from the BOM.

djembabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tell the locals where you are going and listen to their advice, as they know the area better .

Some places you have to cart all of your rubbish out and that includes body waste as well.

As for the weather the last time I was in Tasmania (Hobart) it snowed on xmas day in the middle of summer. So keep a eye out for the weather forecasts from the BOM.
long drop toilets are fine.........anything further away from sanitation will not be for me! Shall stay alert and indeed seek advice!