Metformin and days out

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
I've been taking metformin since first diagnosed 3 years ago. It used to bung me up now I am getting the dreaded movements. My question is. I have to do a trip to London in a few weeks time for a training course. Has anyone stopped or missed their tablet before a journey. Not sure if I should miss it for on the day or for a few days before going to London. Im travelling down on the train but hate using public toilets etc.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the early days when my body was struggling with side effects, I stopped taking them for a day or two before travelling, all through the one week holiday, and resumed on my return. My blood sugars didn't go up by much, and I could not tell if that was lack of metformin, or change of (holiday) diet.
Word of warning, when you resume them you might want to wear a toilet pan for a few days ;)

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My bloods are normally below 7 7.5. I just don't want to get caught short while on the train into and out off London, My schedule is tight for the day

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
I've been taking metformin since first diagnosed 3 years ago. It used to bung me up now I am getting the dreaded movements. My question is. I have to do a trip to London in a few weeks time for a training course. Has anyone stopped or missed their tablet before a journey. Not sure if I should miss it for on the day or for a few days before going to London. Im travelling down on the train but hate using public toilets etc.
If it was me and I was affected toilet wise by them I would stop taking them for a couple of days or more before I was going out... just a thought do you take the SR ones ? After taking them for 3 years you should not really still be having toilet problems with them

Last edited:

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may ask for the SR at my next appointment with the doctor.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'd stop around four days before.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you told your doctor how they affect you
I may ask for the SR at my next appointment with the doctor.
.Can't believe you have gone 3 years having tummy problems that you may not have needed to have with the SR ones. 1 can only take one 500mg SR Metformin a day more than that and my appetite goes completely but my husband also T2 takes the standard Metformin 2000mg every day with no problems shows how different we all are

Last edited:

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I took normal, then SR Metformin for around 4 yrs, both caused awful diarrhoea! The diabetic nurse finally agreed for me stopping them for a 3 week trial and and my bowels went back to normal. I tried them for another 2 days after that and the problem returned. I've now been off them for about 20 months with no problems.