Citalopram

Sharon14448

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, wondered if anyone had any experience with coming off of citalopram? I've reduced my dose to zero over a couple of months and am getting whoosy heads, intolerant, angst etc.

Sharon14448

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wondered if side effects made any difference to the diabetes as I feel so awful

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few months after coming off it I had episodes of very aggressive, violent anger. They were very scary to me. I ended up going back on another SSSR Sertraline which didn't do anything and in the end I stopped taking them as well.

I decided to study Mindfulness and I practise Qi Gong and meditate both of which help.

I know that my mood affects my bgl's so I would think that all that anger / stress would be raising yours.

Reactions: Sharon14448

Sharon14448

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A few months after coming off it I had episodes of very aggressive, violent anger. They were very scary to me. I ended up going back on another SSSR Sertraline which didn't do anything and in the end I stopped taking them as well.

I decided to study Mindfulness and I practise Qi Gong and meditate both of which help.

I know that my mood affects my bgl's so I would think that all that anger / stress would be raising yours.
Agreed the effects are scary. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one and that there is a reason somewhere behind it all that explains things. Thanks for your reply x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed the effects are scary. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one and that there is a reason somewhere behind it all that explains things. Thanks for your reply x
Yup. the withdrawals are difficult. I had to take things very slowly and withdraw a tiny bit a month. All the best.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should have said that over time the rage goes away. I went on a mindfulness course which is where I also learned Qi Gong.

Just google mindfulness. I think that some GP's are moving more towards mindfulness and also CBT.

Sharon14448

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
At the beginning a Dr said just stop. That didn't work so from a 10mg start I went to half to a quarter and for 12 days at zero. I need to clear my head of this drug!!! Guess it's one step one day at a time. Wish the Dr and the leaflet in the tablets gave proper warnings.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep you certainly shouldn't just stop so you have done the right thing. I did just stop btw and I had so many panic attacks as well as the rage. I think that it took me about a year to settle down.

hooose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Citalopram can be an absolute ******* to get off...as has been said

Adrian1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
O no that doesn’t sound good. I’m on them and hope to be off them after my divorce is over. Take care

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Instead of reducing the dose, I cut down by taking it every other day. Eventually it reduced further because I kept forgetting to take it! Then I just stopped. I was on a low dose though.

I have gone through this process several times and have now decided that I probably need to be on a low dose permanently so I don't think I'll be coming off it any time soon.

speedboy21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reduce the dose as it is awesful to come off of, side effects are terrible, but reducing gives a slightly better experience.