Going "Out Out"

joneill97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This week will be the first time I properly go "out out" i.e. Clubbing since being diagnosed with type one.

From what people have said and what I've observed from casual drinking, the risk isn't high blood sugar but low blood sugar when drinking - I've even been told by people including nurses etc that it's better to let it go high for one night than risk low

My 24hr insulin is around 10pm so I can do that before going out which is perfect.

In terms of when I go out I was just going to take some jelly babies in case I feel it going low as I assume there's no point in taking any of my insulin pens as there won't be a need for insulin?

Just looking for reassurance :)

Then in terms of drinking I've heard it's best to do spirits with diet mixers and then every few drinks get a "carby" drink?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @joneill97
I would suggest taking your meter & have a couple of good friends know the "drill", just incase.. (Yep, two friends. Plan A & plan B.) Any booze & excitment can "mask" or distract from a potential low...

Have fun!

Reactions: Dodo and joneill97

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wine, especially white requires no snacking for me. Actually maybe a little cheese or nuts so it slows the wine carbs. I have to bolus for white wine if more than two glasses.

Vodka water will drop me so I would need a few carbs but no need to eat a pile of chips. Over shooting isn't so great either. I'd pack a variety of fat and carbs in your bad and test often.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @joneill97,

I would recommend taking a bag big enough for your meter, insulin and jelly beans, especially if this is the first time "out out" in a while.

I tend to stick to vodka Diet Coke which generally doesn't cause me too much trouble although the amount of dancing/clubbing may! Stay away from shots and try to avoid the temptation of a take away on the way home!

As suggested, make sure the friends you are out with know the drill and test before you go out, maybe once during the night and definately before bed.

Most importantly have a great night

joneill97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @joneill97,

I would recommend taking a bag big enough for your meter, insulin and jelly beans, especially if this is the first time "out out" in a while.

I tend to stick to vodka Diet Coke which generally doesn't cause me too much trouble although the amount of dancing/clubbing may! Stay away from shots and try to avoid the temptation of a take away on the way home!

As suggested, make sure the friends you are out with know the drill and test before you go out, maybe once during the night and definately before bed.

Most importantly have a great night

Thank you!! That's one thing I'm wary of, making sure the people at the bar give Diet Coke!

Just wondering, just because I've heard something different: I was told it's good to get a takeaway or something on the way home to bring the levels up in preparation for the drop from alcohol?

Thanks for the reply :)

Reactions: mytype1.life

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, usually your liver trickles out glucose during the day and night to keep your energy up when you aren't eating anything. The trickle of glucose from the liver is what your long acting insulin is dealing with. But your liver can't multi task. If it's busy dealing with alcohol, it won't be able to trickle out glucose. That's why you aren't advised to bolus for alcohol and you are advised to eat before going to sleep - something like toast or chip, so yes a takeaway. Because the risk of hypos from alcohol materialises a few hours after drinking, when you liver is busy, so it might be during the night or the morning after. And trust me, trying to treat a hypo when you're hungover is no fun at all!

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
In terms of when I go out I was just going to take some jelly babies in case I feel it going low as I assume there's no point in taking any of my insulin pens as there won't be a need for insulin?
Afraid to say there is always the potential to need insulin, and the one time you go out without it, is most likely the time you will need it. Its worth having your bolus insulin with you, even if you "know" you won't need it, just in case you decide to eat something carby, or indeed you accidentally end up drinking something containing full fat coke etc.

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd say the best thing to do is make sure you eat before you go home - don't inject for it either. If not, as your body recovers you'll find yourself going low in the night and if you're quite ****** it can be dangerous.

Just check the drinks you're having too don't have mixers that aren't diet and try to stay away form alcopops etc.

Gin/Vodka would probably be the preferred drink with minimal impact on sugars but you will know best.

ps. throw a little sugary drink in there every now and again to keep you going

Reactions: joneill97

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink only Coors Light (low carb) beer and red wine for the most part. They don't tend to affect my blood sugar one way or the other generally. Guiness will bump it up for sure but I don't have that often.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you!! That's one thing I'm wary of, making sure the people at the bar give Diet Coke!

Just wondering, just because I've heard something different: I was told it's good to get a takeaway or something on the way home to bring the levels up in preparation for the drop from alcohol?

Thanks for the reply :)

No problem.

There's a lot of differing views but only speaking from personal opinion... I can't handle takeaways, far too many carbs for me but toast works well, otherwise I tend to wake up really high and thirsty, just to add to the hangover. If you choose not to have anything too carb heavy sleep next to some munch, just in case

Reactions: joneill97

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It's Monday now, how was your night out? Did you avoid a nighttime hypo?

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Alcohol ruins any kind of awareness of what your BG is, just drunkenly test lots. Remember if all goes to (radio edit.) and you go low coke is available on tap, so you're never far from a sugar supply.

I've needed insulin before, but depends what I'm drinking. Aim to be a little high (7/8) is a safe bet.

Expletive edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Alcohol ruins any kind of awareness of what your BG is, just drunkenly test lots. Remember if all goes to (radio edit.) and you go low coke is available on tap, so you're never far from a sugar supply.

I've needed insulin before, but depends what I'm drinking. Aim to be a little high (7/8) is a safe bet.

Expletive edited by moderator.

That's very true. Though, the wait at the bar could seem like a living hell.. :banghead:
I've always carried something.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't want to create a new thread, so giving this a bump.

I am going away with some friends to London next weekend, and the idea is that I guess there will be a night out on the Friday, and on the Saturday I presume they will want to have some drinks throughout the day and into the night. Currently as it's all new, i'm slightly frightened of the idea of drinking and going really low and so on as this would be my first time since diagnosis.

Kind of looking for the same insight. How would this look?

- Friday - Chances are it would be 5-6 vodkas and soda water as there are no carbs involved. At the end of the night make sure I eat say 3-4 crackers, about 20g of carbs worth? What would you look at your blood glucose being before bed? Should I eat something else?
OR
Stick to drinking some regular beers? Not bolus for them but to bolus for food as normal? Still have a snack before bed, like above? Or possible light beer? Like Coors Light?

Saturday - During the day, stick with slow vodka and soda water throughout the day and evening, while having and bolus for food as normal?

I am by no means looking for excuses to drink alcohol. I'd just like to unwind with my friends and have a joke and some fun as the last few week have been really tough. If I shouldn't risk it, I have no problem not doing it. All help is appreciated.

Should I have a practice run at home this weekend? When I am in a stable environment and have parents around to help monitor with me?

DaveTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Didn't want to create a new thread, so giving this a bump.

I am going away with some friends to London next weekend, and the idea is that I guess there will be a night out on the Friday, and on the Saturday I presume they will want to have some drinks throughout the day and into the night. Currently as it's all new, i'm slightly frightened of the idea of drinking and going really low and so on as this would be my first time since diagnosis.

Kind of looking for the same insight. How would this look?

- Friday - Chances are it would be 5-6 vodkas and soda water as there are no carbs involved. At the end of the night make sure I eat say 3-4 crackers, about 20g of carbs worth? What would you look at your blood glucose being before bed? Should I eat something else?
OR
Stick to drinking some regular beers? Not bolus for them but to bolus for food as normal? Still have a snack before bed, like above? Or possible light beer? Like Coors Light?

Saturday - During the day, stick with slow vodka and soda water throughout the day and evening, while having and bolus for food as normal?

I am by no means looking for excuses to drink alcohol. I'd just like to unwind with my friends and have a joke and some fun as the last few week have been really tough. If I shouldn't risk it, I have no problem not doing it. All help is appreciated.

Should I have a practice run at home this weekend? When I am in a stable environment and have parents around to help monitor with me?

Might be worth sticking to less drinks if you don't know how it'll affect you, by all means have a trial run in safety to get a better idea first.

One weird thing I've found (which may well only be me) if I drink at home my bloods don't tend to up, even drinking the same beer in a bar/pub/club and all of a sudden my bloods raise with every drink.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I definitely don't plan on overdoing it by any means, getting drunk to the point i'm unaware of what i'm doing. I would plan to:

Check using the libre every 1 hour
Bolus for meals as normal
Drink mainly spirit and diet or soda water
Eat at end of night, up to 20g carbs?? Possibly more? Some bread, or crackers, or some chocolate?
Go to best slightly over the normal range 9mmol and above?
Finger Prick Test before bed
Take Levimar as normal at 10pm and 7.30am
Have some nuts throughout the day, in the absence of a big meal etc.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must be an old fuddy duddy! Never drank this much before I was diabetic. Certainly wouldn’t now. Good luck