Benefits after 18yrs

Dollyrocker

Jeez, I was trying to help you! :roll:

I stand by my post, read it again, there's some good advice in it, if it's just advice on benefits you want try the CBA/directgov websites

I'm still intreged as to how extra money helps your diabetes control as an adult(though you've said youself it isn't helping) care to clarify?

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi,
Having suffered over 4 years on a rogue insulin that left me unable barely look after myself & children, I was in such ill health. This resulted in my husband taking lots of time of work to look after me, the kids and take me to numerous & fruitless hospital appointments. Therefore I have a lot of sympathy for people suffering similar problems. I wasn't claiming benefits, but I know of other people who have been so ill due to "insulin" side-effects that they been unable to work, there's been many such people on this forum.
Medical professionals do not yet recognise or acknowledge these side-effects :twisted: , even though they are widely reported.
Unfortunately many people will suffer BG control problems/ brittle control no matter what insulin treatment or regime they are on and these people too, need to be looked after if tehy are unable to work.
That's not to say every type-1 should be considered disabled and be eligable for DLA, but unfortunately many people are being badly let down by the medical profession. Not only the ones sent away told that their control is fine, Hba1c level "within normal range" despite fluctuating erratic control, but also the patients reporting ill-health and being ignored :evil:
Sci-Fi, give the IDDT a call, their number is on the website http://www.iddt.org/here-to-help/contact-us/
LOL, if people think it's easy to be awarded DLA don't believe the media hype; from painful personal experience (not claiming for myself) I can assure you all it is not!
Jus

17anddiabetic

EMA is basically a bribe from the benefit to encourage people to stay in education

EMA was never a bribe, it was money which enabled students aged 16+ from low income backgrounds to continue in education. the government (rightly) recognised that there are financial barriers to education, and this was the reason for the fund. the alternative was giving up on education and claiming JSA,and potentially living off the state for the rest of your life. it helped young people get a foot on the ladder. i would be interested to know how one would fund:

A bus pass for the college year
Lunches at college(bearing in mind there is no FSM allowance 16+)
Equipment (stationary, books, exam resits etc.)
Essential college visits and trips (often essential to complete coursework/controlled assessment modules)

I will look forward to your response, it will really help me to understand your thinking.cheers. :)

stuarty12

I seen on diabetes.co.uk it say that you can apply for dla 3 months after your type 1 diagnosis it didnt say much about any other complications. its kinda confudmsing when people say on here you will get it if you have other complicatians and curcustances etc. is it possible that this is a kinda grey area?