Best Carb App

alex200274

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

Does anyone have any advice on which (Apple) apps are best for sizing carb intake when you don’t have the means to weigh your food or see the packaging from which the food was sourced?

I’m trying to improve my type 1 control but struggling to understand my total carb in take when I’m at work and buying a freshly made sandwich, or grabbing some fruit whilst on the go etc.

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Hello

Does anyone have any advice on which (Apple) apps are best for sizing carb intake when you don’t have the means to weigh your food or see the packaging from which the food was sourced?

I’m trying to improve my type 1 control but struggling to understand my total carb in take when I’m at work and buying a freshly made sandwich, or grabbing some fruit whilst on the go etc.

Hey Alex!

If you don't mind spending £5 you could try this app (Click Here). I have not tried it myself but was recommended the android version by a friend, seems to be what you're after!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

I haven’t used it myself as I use apps where you know the weight. But I noticed this one when I was searching. This sounds like it might suit you....
Oh Deanoh just posted the one I was going to suggest!

Reactions: Deanoh
D

Deleted Account

Carbs and Cals seems to be the most common app. It has pictures of plates to give you an idea of sizing.

I must confess that it drove me crazy - I was famished by the time I found anything resembling my meals. But I am vegetarian so probably eat more unusual dishes.

I manage my carb counting through guestimation - I weigh and calculate when I am at home (I have a spreadsheet with my common food) and get used to portion sizes which I can use when I am out.
I also test regularly and give myself corrective doses when I underestimate.

alex200274

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks guys

I have gone ahead purchased the Carbs and Cals app.

Thinking about it, it’s a shame restaurants, shops and food places do not include QR codes on various items so you could have an app and just scan it giving you instant nutritional product information.

Reactions: Rachox

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Many thanks guys

I have gone ahead purchased the Carbs and Cals app.

Thinking about it, it’s a shame restaurants, shops and food places do not include QR codes on various items so you could have an app and just scan it giving you instant nutritional product information.

Hope it works for you!

QR Codes for dining out would be ideal, probably too much work for restaurants etc. to do working all their meals out.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope it works for you!

QR Codes for dining out would be ideal, probably too much work for restaurants etc. to do working all their meals out.
Most chains have a nutritional breakdown of their meals on their websites so I assume it wouldn’t take much more work to set up a QR code. I’ve just been singing the praises of Pret A Manger, they have shelf edge labels with nutritional info next to the price.

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Most chains have a nutritional breakdown of their meals on their websites so I assume it wouldn’t take much more work to set up a QR code. I’ve just been singing the praises of Pret A Manger, they have shelf edge labels with nutritional info next to the price.

True sorry, I was thinking more of the smaller high street restaurants, or a lot of pubs serving food (my area anyway), at the same time though thinking about it, if others can, why couldn't they..

Of-Course setting up QR codes and a little app for this wouldn't be hard at all!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True sorry, I was thinking more of the smaller high street restaurants, or a lot of pubs serving food (my area anyway), at the same time though thinking about it, if others can, why couldn't they..

Of-Course setting up QR codes and a little app for this wouldn't be hard at all!
Yes I guess it’d be more difficult for smaller independents.