Porridge

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Bananas are bad.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, well I bolus 5-10 before hand. There's no problem going low, it's mostly back to the point I started before eating, just the spike between meals. I could try bolusing sooner, but I think I'll try different options.

Will have a go with the peanut butter, and also maybe add some walnuts chopped up to add some more crunch. If it works, great, less carbs too.
I'm going to assume this is for breakfast. I'm on Fiasp now instead of Novorapid but I used to need my pre-bolus for a breakfast like this at least 30 minutes in advance. If you already pre-bolus you could try 5 minute increments to see what works for you?
Bananas are bad.
Only if you eat them green

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JoeT1 . Apologies I miss read/ understood what you said.
If you're confident pre bolusing then you could try extending the time some more.
It could well be the banana that's largely to blame for the spike in your sugars.
Hope you find a solution.
Excellent, thank you. I'll give a go at swapping out banana for peanut butter. If no luck, I'll try increments of 5mins for pre bolus

Steve978

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant lazy selfish humans .
I always have porridge for breakfast. I want to make my porridge sweet in the morning. I could use sugar, honey, jam or syrup. But I don't know if I should or not??

What would you recommend?

I exercise regularly and my hba1c is below 40.

I have type 2

Thanks
I have porridge every morning before I go too work I always microwave the porridge for 2 minutes in a bowl of milk I then add a touch of honey, a little cream and a splash of malt whiskey. I feel great and it keeps me going until lunchtime

Reactions: TIANDB

JeanCL

Sends me sky high.
I find I test OK with porage made with jumbo oats and water, topped with plain yoghourt, small banana, mixed seeds and goji berries, and a big spoonful of hemp protein and lecithin granules to keep the cholesterol ratios good - a real winner for me!

Reactions: TIANDB

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I'm going to assume this is for breakfast. I'm on Fiasp now instead of Novorapid but I used to need my pre-bolus for a breakfast like this at least 30 minutes in advance. If you already pre-bolus you could try 5 minute increments to see what works for you?
Only if you eat them green
Bananas are sugar disguised as bananas.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sigh. As a fairly recently diagnosed T1 I'd think it's more helpful to try and give Joe ideas based on our personal experiences of how he could manage bolus for the breakfast he chooses than tell him a banana is a bad choice full stop.

That isn't going to help towards the goal of managing his T1 so that he can live a normal life.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Noticed since I got the Libre that having 40g of porridge (25g carbs) and half a banana chopped in (15g carbs) absolutely rockets my bg levels over the first couple of hours, before dropping drastically back down to where I started.

Think I'll have to give something else a try, which is a shame as I'm a fan and it keeps me full until lunch

Hi @JoeT1,

The Libre taught me this too, along with some helpful Forum members.
For years I thought I was being healthy and relatively in range as I'd never see the spike. Unfortunately it was never picked up by any health professionals that I was totally wrong... my routine of bran flakes or special k and taking my insulin 5 minutes before eating was terrible for spikes.
Now I take my insulin 20 minutes before I eat and normally eat 45g of paleo museli from Aldi (7g of carbs) and sometimes add berries. I won't lie, it tastes a bit like bird food but I've got used to it and it keeps me full.
Alternatively I have Greek yoghurt and berries and on a weekend an omelette or a bacon sandwich but on a Lidl high protein roll (8g carbs in one roll and limited spikes) rather than 'normal' bread.
060653b735d6080485119d06ad902404.jpg

Reactions: JoeT1 and TIANDB

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have jumbo oats soaked in the fridge all night in unsweetened almond milk, microwaved in a couple of minutes every morning, I was having it with cocoa powder but this week I've been having it with 60g raspberries mixed through after heating, I bolus around 15 minutes before but this was trial and error and did cause a few not TOO major spikes along the way, as has been mentioned adjust the bolus timing and you may well find that 'sweet spot' good luck! :) xx

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like good plans. I guess this is one of the beauties of the Libre, I can see those spikes and now can work towards working with them, rather than eliminating food straight away.

I'm also seeing through the Libre the spike I'm seeing overnight, bs rising 3-4.5mmol, it's a consistent rise from about 2am onwards.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like good plans. I guess this is one of the beauties of the Libre, I can see those spikes and now can work towards working with them, rather than eliminating food straight away.

I'm also seeing through the Libre the spike I'm seeing overnight, bs rising 3-4.5mmol, it's a consistent rise from about 2am onwards.
Sounds like your basal may need adjusting x

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Sigh. As a fairly recently diagnosed T1 I'd think it's more helpful to try and give Joe ideas based on our personal experiences of how he could manage bolus for the breakfast he chooses than tell him a banana is a bad choice full stop.

That isn't going to help towards the goal of managing his T1 so that he can live a normal life.
Sigh. Im sure a little humour won't prevent him getting the information he seeks.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat 65g of porridge oats daily, soaked overnight in water, cooked for 4 mins in the microwave, a little semi skim milk to taste, reheat & serve with sweetener powder, along with 3 poached eggs & 1 or 2 slices wholemeal bread, depending on my waking blood sugar count, and for this feast :p I average 2.5-3 units Humalog if I'm working and an extra unit if I'm not, which takes me to mid day lunch of a tin of tuna and 1 or 2 slices of wholemeal bread.