Eyes again

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to laugh or else I'd go mad. I have been through nearly all my old glasses in the back of the drawer as my eyes keep changing. Went to the optician and had new glasses made as I need them all the time and now my eyes are changing again (new it might happen). I am now sat here with two pairs on, one on top of the other, as my long site is one pair and my laptop vision is another. Variofocals DIY stylie. :mrgreen: I look a right prat :shock:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Been there Lemonie :lol:

Just after I was first diagnosed I had to wear a pair of cheep reading glasses so I could see well enough to drive :roll:

I was told not to have my eyes tested until 6 weeks after my bg levels had stabilised. The pair I bought for computer work I no longer wear as they are useless.

My eyesight has thankfully returned to normal now, well as good as it was anyway :D

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
Lemonie - I had the same problem - couldn't see the computer screen or couldn't see my class! Spent most of my time with a pair on my head and a pair on my eyes!

Got varifocals - which was funny in its own way - now think my eyes are changing again - my purse can't keep up with this!

jaykay

You have to be careful with varifocals. I had some 'cos I thought they would be good but when I went back to see another optician she said I had the wrong glasses. I use glasses for close work ( sewing and beading ) and then for using the computer at work which is an arms length away. My varifocals were focused for halfway between the 2 distances meaning they weren't really any good for either use. I now have 2 pairs of normal glasses!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tell me about it! I was unfortunately in the throes of getting new glasses when I was diagnosed. 3 lots of re-glazing later and my newest pair which I picked up on Tuesday are hopeless! Battling on with the second set of lenses which I seem to be coping with but aren't perfect.

Sigh, roll on the day they settle. I am now getting some really good readings - mostly between 6 and 8s down from 20 something in 4 weeks so I am optimistic I can get my glasses sorted again in the New Year.

Ali

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Its worth remembering that you must allow your eyes time to adjust when first diagnosed or when going from unstable to tight diabetes control. The same goes for post-laser treatment, the eyes can take weeks before they return to normal and changing your prescription glasses in this time is a pointless and very expensive exercise.

Nigel

Alanem

Dislikes
Fish except from the chippy
I too was backwards and forwards to differant retail opticians until a really knowledgable chap at Specsavers told me I had the beginnings of cataracts and although the condition was still only mild that together with my T2 diabetes and differing bg levels would make constant vision very difficult so he referred me to have surgery. During my annual eye check up 12 months ago they told me it would be 4 years before I needed surgery. I had my first eye done two weeks ago and I'm waiting for a date for the second one. What a differance it made after a couple of days. Everybody I've spoken to thinks there is some connection between between the two complaints but nobody could be sure. Obviously cataracts are far more common in the elderly but there was a report on the TV of a 28 year old firefighter who had had surgery for them.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to change my glasses as I am very short sighted. I have mobility problems and also look after my elderly mum so need my car to get around and couldn't drive because I couldn't see. My eyes changed A LOT.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes Nigel, it was just unfortunate timing in my case. I had no idea I had diabetes when I started down the route of new glasses, ho hum.

Ali