Stopping weight loss from LCHF

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@AloeSvea
Some of us dont want to lose weight or want to be skinny and desperately want to put weight on....ok, we may well be the minority but we are around.

Being skinny is not good for getting cancer and dealing with it. Currently 1 out of 2 people will get cancer. So please, please be aware that some people really, really do not want to be skinny and are absolutely desperate for a way to gain more weight...

Please dont look at skinny people and think-oooh, they are anorexic or bulimic etc... whether its from lchf likking after bs or other illnesses, some of us really are desperate to eat and sonnot have additional health probs to cope with. We arent all contact-sportspersons...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah yes @Kristin251 - I hear you. For diabetics weight loss of that malnourished nature is indeed a sign of ill-health - scary absolutely.

When I have been talking about skinny folks in my life it's the non-diabetic ones - they are just built that way, the lucky things. And when it is normal and folks are healthy - what is the need for gaining weight?

Especially if one is eating well on LCHF - lots of healthy fats. If one is still skinny/slender/slim/thin after eating a ton of coconut and olive oil, fatty meats and cheese galore (as is my partner, and nephew who gave his input in an earlier post), and there are no vitamin and mineral deficiencies coming up in blood lipid tests - why worry?

As for "some starve and cant lose an ounce" - really? I know for me it is not the losing, as in most folks I know about - it's the weight loss maintenance that is the big issue. (I know I have certainly written heaps about this in the forum, as I am not a naturally skinny person as an adult, but one of those people who just has to look at a loaf of bread and I gain a spare tyre.) (Yeah - hence the T2D thing for me.) But this is a 'help me gain weight as I am wasting away' thread not a 'how do I maintain being slender?' one.

So we agree really - if one is wasting away, and especially eating lots of healthy fats - there is probably something organically wrong and absolutely time to see a doctor. Especially if one is type one?

My OPINION is that lchf works because we burn fat as fuel and don't store it. I'm like you, looking at a piece of bread it goes right to my gut. That tells me it's the wrong food for me. Fat is an accumulation of stored toxins and we don't want that either. I know IF I ate that piece of bread I'd be achy and fast asleep. Then in rolls the brainfog etc. This all tells me it's the wrong fuel for me. I could gain weight eating it but where would my bs go and my visceral fat? No thanks.

I do see your problem. My hubby USED to be able to eat anything and everything and not gain an ounce. Work in the yard and lose 10#'s in a day. He used to have problems keeping weight on. Now he's older. I digress.

So the things that make me gain weight is too much protein, loads of nuts, dairy and of course the starchy carbs.

Are you eating enough protein? Perhaps fattier animal protein? That does effect my bs but you're pre diabetic. I've got it all going on as type 1. But as a type 2 it did nothing to my bs. The only thing that really made m gain was carbs but I haven't eaten them in years, well before DX, and just over eating. I can't handle lots of food of food of any kind. It bogs me down.

We all seem to struggle. Either too skinny or too fat. Can't lose weight can't gain it.

How about some fatty sausages with melted cheese ?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can have muscle wasting and still have central obesity. It's a complicated issue and one the docs are not so great at diagnosing, my opinion.
I agree. I don't have muscle wasting anymore. 2 months on insulin and all my muscles came back. And my much needed weight. It stopped right where I left off before I started losing. So all is good. Trust me, I keep an eye on them.

I don't trust docs too much anymore. I love my new endo but still can't trust any completely given what happened. Luckily I don't need one very often

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@AloeSvea
Some of us dont want to lose weight or want to be skinny and desperately want to put weight on....ok, we may well be the minority but we are around.

Being skinny is not good for getting cancer and dealing with it. Currently 1 out of 2 people will get cancer. So please, please be aware that some people really, really do not want to be skinny and are absolutely desperate for a way to gain more weight...

Please dont look at skinny people and think-oooh, they are anorexic or bulimic etc... whether its from lchf likking after bs or other illnesses, some of us really are desperate to eat and sonnot have additional health probs to cope with. We arent all contact-sportspersons...

You have misunderstood me. Don't worry - I have been WAY more misunderstood in this forum before today! This is mild in comparison. And I take responsibility if I am being consistently misunderstood, ie it's my writing not the reading which is at fault.

I certainly do not look at skinny people as anorexics. I think there are plenty of folk who are naturally a lean build. My partner, and my nephew both a case in point. Both those dudes are very carb tolerant (lucky them says the type two diabetic) even though they eat a mainly LCHF diet. (Like about 25% of Swedes, I saw referenced. Who knows if it is true. But it does seem so.)

Being skinny is not good for getting cancer and dealing with it? No, I can imagine. My mother, who is a longtime cancer survivor and been part of ever-diminishing support groups due to death said she could always tell who was going to die by how skinny they were. Which is another way of saying the cancer was eating away at them, or the cancer cells replicating too fast. On the other hand, she herself is very lean now, in her advanced age, and I have talked to her when I have been worried about her getting - wait for it - too skinny. Ditto my own daughter. But neither of them have had nutrient deficiencies, so I have stopped nagging. I figured it was my problem. (And there is more than a large amount of arbitrariness about the BMI numbers. Apparently. According to 'Doctoring Data' dude at any rate.) That is the way I look at it. Just a personal viewpoint.

I never mentioned eating disorders. (I was talking about other organic causes of excessive weight loss where the person is clearly malnourished.) I figured it was a bit of a minefield, so I deliberately haven't gone there. I have, I am pretty sure, encountered more than a couple of women who are not actually diabetic on this forum wanting to discuss their weight/loss in a way I was pretty sure was disordered and had nothing to do with any type of diabetes. I didn't call them out, and nor did anyone else. I think they got good compassionate responses on this forum, and I am quite pleased and proud of that actually. It is out of the normal scope of folk eager to get better from BG dysfunction here to go there, is what I have figured. That is certainly true for me.

Do I believe people will dangerously waste away on a properly configured LCHF diet? Currently, no. But I am willing to be convinced. Which is not the role of a person wasting away on plenty of good nutritious food to do, for sure. I can merely read and learn! Which I am quite prepared to do.

Ukgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@AloeSvea

I agree. I have the same problem losing weight and also muscle tone. If I eat just a normal amount of carbs my blood sugar soars. Have never been overweight but seem to have inherited diabetes from my father, he was also skinny all his life. Really struggling to know what to do.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some extremely skinny people just eat and eat and can't gain a pound ...

That's me, all of my life until well into my 40s. I was a scarecrow. I consumed massive amounts of food, especially as a teen-ager, but the school nurse kept expressing concern and saying I needed to put on weight. When I met my future wife, she complained that my hips were "too sharp."

For some reason this changed in my mid-40s and I really should have paid more attention to it. I put on what was, for me, a lot of weight (more than 10KG between about 45 and 59 years old) and developed a beer paunch on an otherwise very skinny frame.

So not only can we be people who struggle to put on weight. We can also in some cases change from one type to the other over our lifetimes. It seems that with vast amounts of carbs, I was finally able to put on weight (in the wrong place!).

My mother, who is 92, has been extremely skinny all her life. She still eats like a horse. Woe betide if ever lunch or dinner is delayed!

Last edited:

Ukgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your reply that has helped me I will try a little more fat like more cheese and nuts and hope that does the job. It's nice to here someone with the same problem as me everybody out there seems to be trying to lose weight. Thank you again
I am also a thin type 2 diabetic. Diagnosed in 2000. Have problems maintaining weight. After a personal loss of someone I loved dearly could not eat, had no appetite and lost too much weight. My blood sugar went way too high from not eating enough . Doing better now, so thanks for your post hope it will motivate me to do better.

kerrygold59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FULL fat yogurt and FULL fat cheese. Did you know that when they take the fat out of yogurt they add sugar so it tastes like food? You are always hungry because you are not eating the fat your body needs to run on. Full fat dairy will also not raise your blood sugar as much. In my case my cholesterol went down.
You are absolutely right FAT does NOT make you FAT only Carbs do, good fats are healthy essential and do not raise insulin. This has been proven but it’s not recognised by the government or your dietician YET! you may not have heard there’s a revolution going on and it’s very geared around DBt2 and other related diseases which are caused by eating carbs. Low fat foods are leaving the building and nut butters are moving in. Meridian nut butters arethe healthy ones. I digress!
LCHF cures DBT2.
Best wishes
Therapist and LCHF student.
:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are absolutely right FAT does NOT make you FAT only Carbs do, good fats are healthy essential and do not raise insulin. This has been proven but it’s not recognised by the government or your dietician YET! you may not have heard there’s a revolution going on and it’s very geared around DBt2 and other related diseases which are caused by eating carbs. Low fat foods are leaving the building and nut butters are moving in. Meridian nut butters arethe healthy ones. I digress!
LCHF cures DBT2.
Best wishes
Therapist and LCHF student.
:)

I love your username!