Jasperville saying Hi.......ups and downs this year

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks,

I posted a lot about 12 months ago. I have been type 2 for 20 years, diagnosed age 32, resisted several attempts by doctors to put me on insulin over the years. 20 stone at diagnosis, and now 15 stone (two steps forward one step back for many years).

I've done Atkins and other low carb before, and for first 18 years, Hba1c varied between 8 and 13, so terrible control.

Early last year, over 6 months, I got down from 16 stone 6 lbs, to 14 stone 2 lbs, and Hba1c came down from 10.5 to 6.3.

I did this with LCHF. Had to read +++ to feel comfortable with high fat. (Nina Teicholz, Malcolm Kendrick etc).

Then, this year, back to my old habits................I am a sugar/carb addict, and was back on chocolate/cakes/biscuits with abandon. Weight up to 15 stone 12, Hba1c on a home test (believe it or not, they do exist) up to 11.1.

Past 2 months, I've lost a stone in weight, trying hard with LCHF, but still have bad days. Home test says now approx. Hba1c 8.8, so heading in right direction.

Nice to see a lot of familiar people on the low carb forum. I'm posting, because so many of you seem so well controlled, and seem to stay under 30 grams of carbs per day quite easily. For some of us, it is more difficult. I've been intermittent fasting as well, trying to have a bulletproof coffee every morning and then holding out for as long as possible, but even if I get down to 4's and 5's with my BG, my insulin resistance seems no better, and the first bad day sends me up to 15-18.

I think that my beta cell function is probably at 20%. Taylor's team in Newcastle make it clear that their diet doesn't help everyone, even if you get all the fat out of your liver and pancreas, so I am resigned to knowing that I will never be able to get away with eating a high level of carbs. Still trying to be positive - want to get down to 14 stone and Hba1c of 7.0 by Christmas.

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello there. Just one thing to say really, never give up trying. Good to see you.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi @Jasperville
One thing you may like to look into and read about is addictive personality.
Some of us find it very difficult to control our habits. In many cases, it is actually easier to be totally abstinent than to control your intake. For instance, an alcoholic will never stop at one drink and chocaholics are the same!
So I recommend cutting out bread, anything containing sugar, rice, pasta, fruit and juices, and root veg entirely. Just tell yourself you don't eat those things, full stop. Then you will be able to eat nice things like cheese, eggs, bacon, butter and double cream.
You will get advice to test to your meter, but that is for people who want to try potentially harmful food. It maybe that in some cases that can lead to temptation that will take you off the rails.
It works for me and I have given up smoking, alcohol and carbs. It may be worth a try.

Reactions: Prem51

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks,

I agree I am addicted to sugar. Just read an amazing chapter in a new book....................."Diabetes unpacked" from the Noakes foundation. Includes chapters from Tim Noakes, Jason Fung etc, but also Robert Cywes, a bariatric surgeon believe it or not, with a brilliant chapter on sugar and carb addiction..................has had a profound effect on me.