640G without insurance

paulyann2008

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am type 1 for 100years, wear my old pump 715 for 5years. I am new to UK, but I have no insurance. Is it illegal to buy 640G from individual ?
Hope to get one for myself use.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I am type 1 for 100years, wear my old pump 715 for 5years. I am new to UK, but I have no insurance. Is it illegal to buy 640G from individual ?

Hello @paulyann2008 You are not allowed to buy or sell items on this forum as it is against forum rules.

In the UK the NHS supplies medical equipment to type 1 diabetics, buying equipment via other methods means that you will not be entitled to the warranties available on the equipment so be very careful if you intend to purchase.

hopeful84

Hi Paul.

I am looking for any information about how to get the insulin pump from NHS? I come from Poland and think it is possible? I've got information that we are in the UE so I should have the same rights of buying what You have, can You help me with that?
You also mentioned that You used Paradigm 715? can You tell me sth more about that? what's your opinion and how much does it cost per month?

Best regards

*edited to remove email address.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hello Paul,
so you can have a pump you need to ask your GP to refer you to a hospital that deals with pumps and in theory you will be issued with a new pump on the NHS or if you have to pay for your pump due to residency rules then a consultant will issue the paper work for you to buy one. Same for supplies as well.

You can not buy a pump from an individual as the pumps are the property of the NHS and the seller is in fact defrauding the NHS by doing so. Pumps also have RX on the back of them which means prescription only.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
@tim2000s didn't you initially self fund your pump? Or am I misremembering?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tigger, I borrowed a pump from someone until I could get the NHS to pay for one and had to self fund the consumables.

Reactions: tigger