Type 2 Heavy legs

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My legs feel heavy and stiff
Is this anything to do with T2d or something else ?

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @barriebanana ,

What are your blood sugar levels doing?
I know when I'm on the high side, my legs feel like I've run a marathon or just cycled to hell & back..

Do you have a meter?

Reactions: barriebanana

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know, but I think your legs could feel heavy because of the insulin resistance associated with T2. Your muscles won't be getting the fuel they need. Metformin helps with this.

I say this because I also feel that my limbs are heavy at times and there doesn't seem to be any other reason why this happens. My non-diabetic hubby once did a 30 mile walk without eating beforehand. He had a similar feeling in his legs which was relieved a few minutes after eating. Later that evening his legs felt heavy again and a piece of cake resolved the problem.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you had your thyroxene levels checked. I used to feel like I was wearing lead boots and walking through treacle.
After tests it turned out that I had hypothyroidism, and now take a synthetic thyroxene tablet (Levothyroxene) daily, which has stopped that feeling.
People with hypothyroidism also feel generally tired. I used to just collapse on the sofa when I got home from work.

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you had your thyroxene levels checked. I used to feel like I was wearing lead boots and walking through treacle.
After tests it turned out that I had hypothyroidism, and now take a synthetic thyroxene tablet (Levothyroxene) daily, which has stopped that feeling.
People with hypothyroidism also feel generally tired. I used to just collapse on the sofa when I got home from work.

Hi prem51
Thanks for this
I will go to dr and get it checked out

Reactions: Prem51

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No but taking b
Vitamins thanks
B12 is difficult to get in a general vitamin supplement. It stands out on its own, and needs to be specifically added. It is generally not in Brewers Yeast or a multi B supp. If you are on Metformin then this is one of the known deficiencies it can cause, and some of us need B12 injections not orals for supplementation,

You can ask GP for B12 blood test to check, but is is not one of the standard diabetic bloods check, even the annual checkup ones.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bg levels in normal range
Could it be metformin perhaps ?
It is one of the possible side effects of Metformin, which can trigger lactic acidosis in some people

http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b3660

I too suffer 'marthon sprinter syndrome' and I am on high dose of Metformin. My B12 levels are high so that is not a problem in my case./ I have no solution to offer as yet. It is definitely a muscular effect in both legs to me.