i know everyone is different but looking for others opinions

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I know we all have our own targets etc but what do all my fellow people class as an acceptable post meal spike?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi kaylz91 my post meal spikes are anything between 9-12 which i dont really worry about too much as im back in range by my next meal :)

Reactions: Juicyj and Dodo

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best case: maximum value somewhere in the 7's (or less, but sometimes that is indicative of basal problems for me, so I get a bit nervous if I eat and don't spike at all. Obviously it's a good result, but usually it means I'll be headed downwards soon after)

Acceptable: depends on the time of day. If I know I will be doing some activity e.g. getting dressed, showering then I will be ok with a higher number because I know I will drop. Recently I've been getting 8's-10's after breakfast, which I wasn't happy with, but they tended to drop back down quickly after just a couple minutes of incidental exercise. If I'm not exercising, then I will be ok (although slightly disappointed) with anything between 8 and 9. Over 9 is too high, in my case it is almost always due to basal so I will adjust that, or else I will exercise around that time to help stabilise a spike.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I aim to keep my BS below 5.5 mmol and > 4.3 mmol at all times, no post meal spikes allowed :)

Reactions: x Carol x

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get big post meal spikes (up to 15), but they drop back very quickly. Where possible I take my insulin 30 mins in advance, but I drop hard and fast with exercise so have learnt that I can't take insulin if I'm under 5 (unless food is imminent) and I also need to just go with the high if I'm about to exercise.

No hard and fast rule about what makes me spike either - but I'm only a few months in so hopefully it'll settle in time.

DaveTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For me I'd say 12, even there I probably haven't quite done enough bolus. Anything over 15 it's clear I've eaten too much.

It's surprising sometimes how different things affect you, I've spiked at over 20, 4 hours post eating cake my boss has made before, hitting 16, 2 hours after eating. Took a few extra correction shots to get back in the right place.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ideally you should be aiming for anything up to a 2 mmol/l spike after eating, which is the guideline for type 1 diabetics.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ideally you should be aiming for anything up to a 2 mmol/l spike after eating, which is the guideline for type 1 diabetics.

This is the rule I try and follow......unless I am high of course, I will try and get a more steady profile over the next few hours....

Trying and achieving don't always tie in though....;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree @novorapidboi26 - I can sometimes spike up to 14 mmol/l one day and not another, there very often isn't rhyme or reason, my personal target is to be in range before the next meal time.

This was a guideline and as we know guidelines are just that, the reality very often falls way short of this.