Pear drops taste, but readings are fine

ScottyWalks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been almost one year since I was diagnosed with diabetes. Since getting everything under control in the first few weeks everything has been fine. The last few days though I've had the same weird pear drops taste in my mouth that I did just before being diagnosed. I've experienced a little eczema too, neither of which I've had since I started on insulin. My readings are fine: I just checked and glucose is 6.1, and ketones <0.1 a little over three hours since eating. I've been taking insulin and calculating the right amounts, exactly as I have for the last year. (Novorapid and Abasaglar). No excessive thirst or urination.

Any thoughts? Is this something I should worry about or go to see the doctor? It feels like it's an indicator that something is going wrong, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

emmacheasty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you on a high protein/ high fat low carb diet.....trying to lose weight or taking supplements for the gym?? All of which can increase your ketone production ??

ScottyWalks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on a high protein/ high fat low carb diet.....trying to lose weight or taking supplements for the gym?? All of which can increase your ketone production ??
Hi. No supplements and definitely not low carb. Today has been bran flakes for breakfast. Ham and cheese sandwich for lunch and mac and cheese with a banana this evening.

emmacheasty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
P.s sounds like you are doing great adjusting!! Good work :) ( an old timer # 34 years and still learning! )

emmacheasty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would however say with your BMs and lack of urine ketones its not your diabetes causing it .....like at diagnosis. If it persists i would suggest seeing your GP