adam_cane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Just a bit of an information gathering post.

I was diagnosed T1 whilst at university studying computer science/game development.

I'm looking to design and develop a mobile game primarily aimed at younger children with T1 diabetes, if anyone on here has any ideas of what specifically would be useful for their children or anyone they know whether it be a simple idea with the aim of getting the child used to those concepts or a very specific message to convey i'll take everything into consideration and really appreciate any ideas/feedback.

Thank you

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what to do if they have a hypo
how to inject properly
how to take a blood glucose test
i think getting them comfortable doing it on a device would make them more comfortable to do their own in real life.

Reactions: Dodo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
anything that helps convey a positive message while using the app / game.

psychological issues are something seen in longer term diagnosed D's --
catching it early through games could assist

adam_cane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Great ideas guys thank you, I think I will use a relatively simple mini games with positive engagement/rewards to show emphasis on checking and injecting.

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sometimes wish i was diagnosed before Uni so i could have aimed my dissertation on the development of treatment.
I think your idea is great and i'm sure it will get a lot of backers (kid sin school testing for you).

Maybe a drag and drop nutritional game...various foods cascading with the User having to drag each one to a specific area whether it will or wont affect sugar levels?

Nutritional information is always helpful !

Dannymum

I sometimes wish i was diagnosed before Uni so i could have aimed my dissertation on the development of treatment.
I think your idea is great and i'm sure it will get a lot of backers (kid sin school testing for you).

Maybe a drag and drop nutritional game...various foods cascading with the User having to drag each one to a specific area whether it will or wont affect sugar levels?

Nutritional information is always helpful !
What a fantastic idea !!! That will help them with carb counting, also maybe also a reminder for blood tests & insulin.
Keep up the good work.

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a fantastic idea !!! That will help them with carb counting, also maybe also a reminder for blood tests & insulin.
Keep up the good work.
Passing on info to help with carb counting would help tremendously!

Maybe incorporate a simple basal test idea too.
Put night night time level and and morning level into the app for a few days and it suggests changes into their insulin regime?

adam_cane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Think it would be better to try and incorporate multiple ideas and concepts into one title or possibly a series of mini games? i'm just conscious of it being rather overwhelming or not conveying a concise message. Thanks for all the help though, casual conversation like this always produces good game design

D

Deleted member 444941

Having grown up before the age of enlightenment ( ie- 50s & 60s ) I remember the problems of growing up with Diabetes well. Anything that could have helped me understand Hypos & and Hypers would have been grabbeds with both hands. This is a briliant idea and I hope you manage to make it a success! High and Low blood glucose levels are one of the hardest things to explain in words that relate, because they come so long after the origional event. If you can make the corelation work that would be great. Good luck.

Reactions: adam_cane

adam_cane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
cheers, i will try and keep you guys updated with ideas and progress. will perhaps try and come up with 3 small game ideas, list them here for feedback and go from there :)