Non-fasting cholesterol test?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having my annual HbA1c test tomorrow, and, presumably, my cholesterol. I have to ask for the blood test i need and, as I havent got a clue which ones I need, i am assuming i ask for those two. Any others? Receptionist didnt know :( diabetic nurse not in to ask.

Now, fasting blood tests for cholesterol are no longer done, so should I fast anyway? My appointment is at 11.30am.

Also, judging from last years fiasco, I may have to remember to ask for a testube for my urine sample, as they dont know to give me one anyway, and then i get to my annual review, and she asks for my sample, and I havent got one cos no-one told me I needed one. Then I dont ever get the results as they dont come in until after my review, but not to worry, then will contact me if anything is wrong and no, they dont do printouts.

This is the surgery who lost my record for three years when i moved, and insist I have only been diabetic for 2 years instead of nearly 6 years cos no records mean it didnt happen - right :banghead:

I really think there is a conspiracy to stop us from having any active role in our treatment.

And, if i need metformin, I will get the fight to get SR as the ordinary one made me very ill, but thats in the records they lost, so it didnt happen either, and i have to try the ordinary ones first..................

I have three weeks between my blood test and the first available DN appointment. And thats for only 10 mins as the receptionist, despite me saying it was my annual review, said that that is all the time available. :banghead::banghead::banghead:so goodness knows what she will actually do in that time. Except remind me to keep my carb intake up, tell me I am still too fat, and try to get me on statins and bp meds despite my bp being good.

sorry this turned int a rant.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having my annual HbA1c test tomorrow, and, presumably, my cholesterol. I have to ask for the blood test i need and, as I havent got a clue which ones I need, i am assuming i ask for those two. Any others? Receptionist didnt know :( diabetic nurse not in to ask.

Now, fasting blood tests for cholesterol are no longer done, so should I fast anyway? My appointment is at 11.30am.

Also, judging from last years fiasco, I may have to remember to ask for a testube for my urine sample, as they dont know to give me one anyway, and then i get to my annual review, and she asks for my sample, and I havent got one cos no-one told me I needed one. Then I dont ever get the results as they dont come in until after my review, but not to worry, then will contact me if anything is wrong and no, they dont do printouts.

This is the surgery who lost my record for three years when i moved, and insist I have only been diabetic for 2 years instead of nearly 6 years cos no records mean it didnt happen - right :banghead:

I really think there is a conspiracy to stop us from having any active role in our treatment.

And, if i need metformin, I will get the fight to get SR as the ordinary one made me very ill, but thats in the records they lost, so it didnt happen either, and i have to try the ordinary ones first..................

I have three weeks between my blood test and the first available DN appointment. And thats for only 10 mins as the receptionist, despite me saying it was my annual review, said that that is all the time available. :banghead::banghead::banghead:so goodness knows what she will actually do in that time. Except remind me to keep my carb intake up, tell me I am still too fat, and try to get me on statins and bp meds despite my bp being good.

sorry this turned int a rant.

Cholesterol the tests you need to know are what is your HDL, your LDL and your triglycerides as well as the total cholesterol.

Once you have these people here will be able to hep you interpret them.

I would fast first - as it makes the results easier to interpret. Also if possible take a fasting glucose test at the same time as the Hba1C and blood draw. Once you have both your glucose and triglyceride figures on a fasting basis, you will be able to also look at how " insulin resistant " you are.

Don't worry too much about the details for the moment, you will soon learn what this all means!

In summary
hab1C plus fasting blood glucose test
Total cholesterol, LDL, HDl, Triglycerides
all of these are standard measures

You should also ask for a full lipid profile
that will give information for measures such as AST, GGT, Thyroid function

Finally if he is feeling at all generous ask for a Vitamin D test.

once you have whatever data you can get, someone here will be able to help your interpret it .

good luck

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...It should not cost you anything for this service. I can also book GP appointments and order repeat prescriptions

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They asked for my urine sample to be in mid flow from the first pee in the morning so getting a tube tomorrow wont be much use if they want the sample then and there unless you have kept your legs crossed!
If you can get a full lipid panel then yes fast otherwise the results won't mean much.
I would also highly recommend registering for test results online as
1. you can check and see hat they are without having to see the nurse
2. you will have a record of all your results for some time back
My surgery also included loads of other bits and bobs including the liver stuff but as we all know there is zero consistency across the country..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not in England, I am in wales and no, online is not available except for prescription ordering.
Well if they won't/can't let you have online access then ask for printouts of every test result you have ever had.

SimonCrox

Fasting or not fasting lipids seems a common problem; as above,, if you want to know your trigs, they are better in fasting state; otherwise the cholesterol fractions are similar if fasting or not. It may be a bother for you fasting till 11.30, but would be risky if on insulin or sulphonylurea. And unless your trigs are sky high (>10), one would address the cholesterol first.
There is merit to a fasting glucose, but if you are testing an HbA1c, then the fasting glucose would give similar information, ie not generally worth going to a lot of trouble to do. A random glucose could be done instead.
You need your eGFR, renal function which is generally in the U&Es - none of these other tests need to be fasted.
If an annual MOT, I would check liver function tests, although minor abnormalities are very common, due to fatty liver, and a Full blood count as a screen, as an abnormal haemaglobin level would invalidate the HBA1c.
Vitamin D is a good idea, although one could just assume that everyone resident in UK is deficient, or very deficient.
If you were on metformin, I would check vitamin B12 every few years or if anaemia or neuropathy or memory problems.
It is disappointing that you have not been given clear guidance on this and that you get just 10 minutes with the nurse
Best wishes

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of your issues can be resolved by accessing your records online. I get me results via "Patients Access
Take a look here:
https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/records/healthrecords/Pages/what_to_do.aspx
I have tried this but can't get any further than registering with Patient Access which only allows me to order my repeat prescriptions and make appointments and I can do that on the surgery web site. To get access to anything else it says I need to complete a form at my surgery that I agree to my records being put online but at the surgery if I do that they don't know what to do with it as they have not got any information about it so obviously not many patients in my practise have applied to have their records online

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lipid profile will not give informtion re thyroid function etc it just gives info re total cholesterol, ldl, trigs, hdl and the relevant ratios
For thyroid function the endocrinology clinic request Tsh, FT3 and FT4
A full blood count is one my diabetes clinic routinely requests for everyone, alongside fasting glucose, hba1c, kidney function and liver function tests

Reactions: SimonCrox

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried this but can't get any further than registering with Patient Access which only allows me to order my repeat prescriptions and make appointments and I can do that on the surgery web site. To get access to anything else it says I need to complete a form at my surgery that I agree to my records being put online but at the surgery if I do that they don't know what to do with it as they have not got any information about it so obviously not many patients in my practise have applied to have their records online
This doesn't surprise me. I had a similar issue. First I was told by reception that it would cost me £50!! I spoke to the Practice manager and quoted the NHS guidelines. She then arranged for the details to be available at no cost. I did have to complete 2 forms and provide 2 forms of ID at the practice. It was quite interesting to see all my results from way back to 1998. I recently suggested to the wife that she gets access too. She was told it would cost her £10 . I think they try to put us off. If you look at the web page it is suggesting we all register. I now get my results before the doctor.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This doesn't surprise me. I had a similar issue. First I was told by reception that it would cost me £50!! I spoke to the Practice manager and quoted the NHS guidelines. She then arranged for the details to be available at no cost. It was quite interesting to see all my results from way back to 1998. I recently suggested to the wife that she gets access too. She was told it would cost her £10 . I think they try to put us off. If you look at the web page it is suggesting we all register. I now get my results before the doctor.
I will have a word with the practise manager if I can and see what she says

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will have a word with the practise manager if I can and see what she says
Best of luck!. As I see it by having my information online where I can have access to them frees up the practice from having me pestering them for my results.
Wow I checked again and I have details from 1978.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have previously tried to access info. It only works if your surgery provides the service. And I dont get to choose what they test. Its a pain, but there are no other surgeries near me, and this one is 5 miles away, with no bus service.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As i understand it once you complete and sign the forms (which include disclaimers) then the surgery should then open your access to results any allergies you may have. The NHS want more people to have this sort of access by 2018

Quote from the link supplied earlier:
"The NHS is committed to modernising its services so that they are as efficient and effective as possible and put patients in the driving seat of their care. The ambition is that by 2018 every citizen will be able to access their full health records at the click of a button, detailing every visit to the GP and hospital, every prescription, test results, and adverse reactions and allergies.

Offering people the chance to book appointments, order repeat prescriptions and access summary information held in their GP records online is a key milestone on the road towards becoming a truly modern and dynamic healthcare system that is responsive to patients' needs."
I repeat, my surgery in Wrexham is not offering this. I can register to re-order prescriptions (not that I have any) but that is all they offer. The NHS may have this as their goal, but until all surgeries are made to offer this, it aint gonna happen round here. NHS Wales have different options to NHS England.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm back. I checked with reception. No plans to offer internet appointments or results : (

The blood drawing was easy, but the nurse did ask me if I had had a good breakfast. I smiled and nodded. No breakfast is a good breakfast, isnt it??? : )

Results in a week, but they wont be available to me, even at reception, I will have to wait until I see the DN on the 6th Dec. I am trying to count my blessings.

Reactions: Alison Campbell