hi please can anybody help me,

juju1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi my name is Julie and i was taking i metformin a day and it was increased to four a day so that 2000mg, i keep getting this sick feeling like once aday, also was well constipated, now every time i eat a big meal i get diarrhea i also sweat alot from neck up. Just worried about it x

[Moderator radio edit.]

Last edited by a moderator:

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, sorry to hear this, metformin is known to cause these side effects. If it isn't something you can live with then you have a couple of options:

1) first thing to do is speak to dn, gp or pharmacist for advice, let them know about the side effects. They may be able to advise you on other meds you can use (obviously I don't know your circumstances as to if you need meds or not).

2) option 2 is to look into low carb diet to see if it will work for you, I was on metformin and had worse symptoms than this... I am intolerant... I couldn't face the thought of going on insulin or living with meds and did some changes to my diet and a load of testing blood sugar levels and was able to get the diabetes into remission (hba1c was 85 at diagnosis and then 31 4 months later on lchf diet) I won't lie, it was bloody hard... sugar is sooooo addictive I had withdrawal symptoms for 2 weeks but then I did go cold turkey! After that though it has been amazing, food tastes better and I have loads of energy (like I never had before) it also feels nice to lose all this weight.

If you are able to do the diet I would say go for it, there is loads of good advice on here and recipes to try... if not then finding an alternative medicine that won't affect you like this.

Good luck.

Reactions: devina and Prem51

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @juju1968 ,

Warm welcome to the forum..
It's been well document on here by some that metformin can have this side effect..
There is a slower release "SR" version of metformin that may help?

Best to ask your GP...

Reactions: busydiabeticmum
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi my name is Julie and i was taking i metformin a day and it was increased to four a day so that 2000mg, i keep getting this sick feeling like once aday, also was well constipated, now every time i eat a big meal i get diarrhea i also sweat alot from neck up. Just worried about it x

[Moderator radio edit.]
Although I don't like to give people advice which is contrary to that of their doctor this seems like an emergency.

. Taking medication is not compulsory. My DN said that she wasn't here to make my life worse.

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Hi, I also went from 1 Metformin tablet to 4 -- I tried the straight increase and like you I had problems.
So I dropped the tablets down to 2 per day for one week - one morning - one evening - taken just before eating a meal.
Second week I increased to 3 - two at breakfast and one in the evening - again just prior to meal.
Third week I increased to the 4 - two at breakfast and two with evening meal.

It just took a little bit of time for my body to adjust.
I do suffer at times after a large meal and one that is usually not cooked at home - such as eating out but otherwise all seems OK
Hope that helps and I wish you well.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes. I'm the same as @srobertson06 .I often have to stop it with young kids around and tummy bugs. I then slowly re-add back to 4 tablets eventually. I'm lucky I also have insulin I can increase in the interim thou