Aspirin and withdrawing for it

astle9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, been on aspirin daily for 10 plus years now as part of my diabetes treatment, saw my cardiologist yesterday after having an angiogram and was advised by him that there is no need to take them, would you follow his advise or seek opinion of diabetic team. Cheers.

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, been on aspirin daily for 10 plus years now as part of my diabetes treatment, saw my cardiologist yesterday after having an angiogram and was advised by him that there is no need to take them, would you follow his advise or seek opinion of diabetic team. Cheers.
I'd been taking 75mg for years. Recently the practice pharmacist asked me why I was taking it. I said the doctor prescribed it for me. She said I'll take it off the list. Says a lot doesn't it?

Last edited:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was pleading for test strips with my GP I told him that I was saving him money by not having the statins and asprin that he had prescribed me He just said that statins were a cheap drug and they dont prescribe asprin anymore !
CAROL

Reactions: wolfie53

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
cheers Wolfie any adverse reaction to stopping it.
None at all. I was glad to get rid of it. She seemed genuinely surprised I was still on it. The pharmacist in my practice is more clued up than doctors or DN

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was pleading for test strips with my GP I told him that I was saving him money by not having the statins and asprin that he had prescribed me He just said that statins were a cheap drug and they dont prescribe asprin anymore !
CAROL
Did he let you have the test strips?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No chance !!Even though I pleaded poverty
CAROL
Your profile is showing you to be insulin dependent, and if this is so, then you should be supported for self monitoring.
Aspirin used to be regularly doled out like aweeties to diabetics, but long term use has been shown to inflict damage and stomach/ gut issues. I believe it is only used where there is a high risk of CVE occuring, sich as a recent stroke or TIA or arterial sclerosis. Even so, it is normally replaced by something like Clopidogrel and accompanied by a PPI med to alleviate the acidity thus reducing the risk of collateral damage when used long term. I was put on this regime after my strokes 10 years ago.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ive just been taken off asprin. i was left on it with another anti clotting med for 2 years. i was also told to stop my ibuprofen seems its now dodgy increases heart attack risks. which is fun with my gout and arthritis

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry @oldvatar but I am just taking Metformin I have never been on insulin
CAROL

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was prescribed aspirin by my cardio vascular surgeon after having stent grafted for AAA to prevent clots I would prefer to be on Clopidogrel my self but have not been offered it by GP.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There was a blood test that predicted someone’s risk of cardiovascular problems (CVD).
It predicted the risk well.
When someone took aspirin, the test shows that their risk of CVD was lower.

But

When a large scale study was done, it was found that taking aspirin had no benefit….

It like predicting someone risk of death based on them arriving at a hospital with blue lights, and thinking that removing the blue lights will result in less dead people.