Hi :)
I am 29 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes four weeks ago. This is my second GD pregnancy but last time I was able to control full with diet. Unfortunately this time fasting readings aren't good and yesterday I was put on metformin.
Now.. I know all about and fully expected the digestive issues upon starting metformin, but went in with an open mind with the possibility that I might actually be ok and have no side effects.
Unfortunately last night I suffered all the common side effects of nausea, vomitting, diarrhoea, stomach cramps. What concerned me more though was that, an hour after taking my first dose, I broke out in a big patch of itchy hives which lasted a few hours.
I called my diabetic midwife this morning who has told me not to take any more, but she said shes never heard of or had anyone report skin complaints or hives or anything to her :/
I just think.. Surely I am not alone on this? Surely it isnt THAT unusual to have this reaction?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
From the patient information leaflet included in your medication, see second bullet point ..........

upload_2017-11-16_13-24-11.png

1 in 10,000 - congratulations, you're quite special ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessicamcelvaney

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I reported all my problems with the tablets Metformin and statin I was taking - no note was made on my file, never mind reporting it to the authorities - so it never happened.
The next week I was called into the surgery so a doctor I had never seen before tried to persuade me to take statins again - she was really surprised, but there is no wonder if reactions to medication are not recorded.
I did not get a rash, just red weals from the whole body itch.